Notices

A word to the wise.

Old 03-14-2019, 06:27 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I love that Dee posted that quote from John Lennon. It’s never really the end, even times it feels like it. I’ve been in some deep dark places several times in my life, thinking I couldn’t go on. I’m so glad I did.

I had two siblings commit suicide when I was younger. To see my parents suffer was also horrible. My mom deteriorated further into mental illness and drinking and ultimately died from what am call a slow suicide.

After a while, life was great again. New love, marriage, job promotions, a new home, a vacation to another country. Then things were terrible. Horrible new boss, pregnancy complications and losses for years. Then I finally had a baby and life was wonderful. Until discovering my son had special needs. All that stuff from the past combined with the stuff with my son, and I went downhill nearly drinking myself to death.

When I finally went to therapy is when I started to change my perspective. I also was given prescription medication for a while, which helped. Life will always have its ups and downs. Someday we won’t be here physically, but that doesn’t mean it’s ended. Our spirit and influence will live on in those we leave behind.

I am always inspired by my Dads story when I get depressed about life. Losing two kids to suicide, then his wife, then another wife to cancer, lots of stuff in between. But things would eventually turn around and he would always end up very happy again. He’s in love again in his eighties. He has dementia now. But he is living in the moment one day at a time and doing the best he can with a positive attitude.

Life is amazing, then it’s awful, then it’s amazing again. For me, every time it gets amazing again, it’s more amazing than before.

I hope you’ll think about seeing your doctor or a counselor to help you through this time.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:29 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fearlessat50 View Post
I love that Dee posted that quote from John Lennon. It’s never really the end, even times it feels like it. I’ve been in some deep dark places several times in my life, thinking I couldn’t go on. I’m so glad I did.

I had two siblings commit suicide when I was younger. To see my parents suffer was also horrible. My mom deteriorated further into mental illness and drinking and ultimately died from what am call a slow suicide.

After a while, life was great again. New love, marriage, job promotions, a new home, a vacation to another country. Then things were terrible. Horrible new boss, pregnancy complications and losses for years. Then I finally had a baby and life was wonderful. Until discovering my son had special needs. All that stuff from the past combined with the stuff with my son, and I went downhill nearly drinking myself to death.

When I finally went to therapy is when I started to change my perspective. I also was given prescription medication for a while, which helped. Life will always have its ups and downs. Someday we won’t be here physically, but that doesn’t mean it’s ended. Our spirit and influence will live on in those we leave behind.

I am always inspired by my Dads story when I get depressed about life. Losing two kids to suicide, then his wife, then another wife to cancer, lots of stuff in between. But things would eventually turn around and he would always end up very happy again. He’s in love again in his eighties. He has dementia now. But he is living in the moment one day at a time and doing the best he can with a positive attitude.

Life is amazing, then it’s awful, then it’s amazing again. For me, every time it gets amazing again, it’s more amazing than before.

I hope you’ll think about seeing your doctor or a counselor to help you through this time.
Fearless, I greatly appreciate your input and your story. One thing that keeps me going at times is that I know that somewhere in the world, someone has it a lot worse than I do. Truth be told, I'm a spoiled brat and want for nothing. Not so when I was a kid. Dad was a teacher and Mom cut hair. Not exactly lifestyles of rich and famous.

Very interesting that you mention that life is great, and then its horrible. I feel the same way. I've been to the top of the mountain and felt invincible, I've also been in the depths of hell and thought there was no way out. Then a few years later I am back on the top of that mountain. Life on life's terms.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:55 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hi Jeff -- as Nefer would say, I'm rootin' for ya. You've contributed a lot to the forums and I have a ton of admiration for how you've handled yourself and gotten sober.

What you're going through now is rough. Despair is a powerful mindset. But I believe you have the sense to come through it to a more comprehensive vision of life, with the help of good people in your corner.

And you're no brat!