Notices

Integrating in to normal life.

Old 03-14-2019, 06:46 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
See how easy it is for 'normal' drinkers to not drink. They're like "Oh well, she needs our support, so we won't drink." Alcoholics generally can't do that, or if they can, with great effort and complaining.
This hits home. After I quit, I noticed my normal drinking friends not drinking in my presence. This became the standard and remains so today, even though I've told them their drinking would not bother me in any way.

On the other hand, my longest enduring friendship is with a guy who is somewhere around borderline. Early on, I could tell he was anxious around me until he would finally go buy a six pack. Then he could relax.

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
We all tend to think, when we drink or use addictively, that EVERYONE thinks this way. Once you stop and if/when you are around 'normal' drinkers, they don't think that way at all. If they can't have a drink at a wedding it would be no big deal. If the restaurant didn't serve alcohol, they'd get something else. We think that everyone will notice that we're not drinking, when in fact, it really doesn't matter to them.
This was surprising to me after I got sober. The world is filled with normal drinkers, and many of them don't drink at all. I'm even surprised this surprised me.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:37 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

You have to remember that most people don't understand addiction. I think that most people think it would be ok just for one drink or just one day. NOT!!!!! Best wishes whatever you decide.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:48 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Great advice already, but I wanted to add a small thing that helped me in the beginning. I always had a glass of something n/a in my hand. Usually sparkling water or Diet Coke. That way, I could sip at it if I felt nervous, no one felt the need to 'get me a drink,' and it was a physical reminder of my commitment to sobriety. I felt good for drinking something non-alcoholic.

And I definitely left some events early if I felt like I was getting overwhelmed. And had someone I could trust on speed dial if I needed to talk.

Good luck to you, whatever you decide!
Old 03-14-2019, 07:50 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post

This was surprising to me after I got sober. The world is filled with normal drinkers, and many of them don't drink at all. I'm even surprised this surprised me.
This still fascinates me, even after all this time. I'm not jealous or anything, I just find it interesting. It reminds me how far outside of the norm I was.
Old 04-01-2019, 11:03 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Checking in. I did decide to attend this last weekend and everything was great. I turned down offers of drink through the first night and day. On the second night when offered once again I just said "Nah, I'm off of the alcohol." The offerer asked "Any reason why?" to which I replied "I have a problem with it and am living sober now.". He smiled and simply replied "Oh, good for you man."

The next day I had one of those moments in which I felt simple joy, sipping my coffee as the rest of the guys slowly woke up looking slightly worse for ware and grumbling about how they felt. I shook hands, gave some hugs and got in my car for a 5 hour drive home feeling energetic and knowing that life in sobriety is not only possible but is the only way for me to live going forward.
Old 04-01-2019, 11:14 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Awesome, congratulations. I have found New Years Day to be particular satisfying. The world is hungover and I'm not. Good job.
Old 04-01-2019, 02:42 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Good going! And glad it was positive, not just gritting through.

What are your plans this wk and have any social events on the horizon? I always risk sounding like a broken record but it's after that successful sober outing we often need more vigilance, and having a support plan in place that is about recovery is really important. Planning ahead so that next dinner with friends or house party or...doesn't sneak up on you - and perhaps writing down somewhere what was great and what you did this time, for future reference - are good ideas.

Glad you are doing well.
Old 04-01-2019, 03:20 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Congratulations, vxper! I'm so glad you posted the happy ending, sounds like you handled everything.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:47 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Good going! And glad it was positive, not just gritting through.

What are your plans this wk and have any social events on the horizon? I always risk sounding like a broken record but it's after that successful sober outing we often need more vigilance, and having a support plan in place that is about recovery is really important. Planning ahead so that next dinner with friends or house party or...doesn't sneak up on you - and perhaps writing down somewhere what was great and what you did this time, for future reference - are good ideas.

Glad you are doing well.
My plan for the week is stick to my routine, stay open with my wife, call may dad as I haven't talked to him in a couple weeks and then this weekend work on the chores that were left undone with me being out of town last weekend and going on a hike at a state park with the wife on Saturday as the weather is getting warmer where I'm at.

I feel good, I'm sticking to it and more and more the routine feels like less of a trial and more like my normal life. I'm looking forward to some outdoor fun and planning some camping/canoeing in the summer, something I could never do chained to the bottle. I'm through day 112 (counted wrong when I first posted :-/) and looking forward to day 113.
Old 04-03-2019, 03:13 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad things went well vxper

D