Notices

Is total abstinence the real solution

Old 03-12-2019, 04:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is total abstinence the real solution

is total abstinence really the solution is it realistic? Are people suffering from work/ life stress misusing alcohol wrongly being labelled alcoholics?

Are there some people who need to be totally abstinence for example end stage alcoholics and are there people who will be better taking a mature decision not to abuse alcohol.

There is a total abstinence cycle for a lot:-

1. Bad experience spiralling down into a vulnerable state and going to AA or other service. Going through detox.
2. Counting days getting physically mentally better and getting on a pink cloud.
3. Having a long period without alcohol getting complacent convincing yourself and others there is no desire for alcohol.
4. The alcohol allure resurfacing and frustrations growing.
5. Relapse.

I have cut down me drinking and have had a better relationship with it. I don’t have to justify myself to anyone or made to feel ashamed for having a drink.

i don’t feel total abstinence is the only solution.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

You are obviously not done. You are not the first person to come up with all that BS in an attempt to convince ourselves we are not alcoholics.

You are entitled to believe whatever you want, but this site is for people who want abstinence.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Anger shown against an alternative view. Not helpful
Old 03-12-2019, 04:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What kind of help are you looking for? Permission to keep drinking?
Keep at it, we'll be here when you need us.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

No anger, just truth. Truth is helpful, unless you aren't ready to hear it.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Abstinence is the only solution that worked for me - and yes it's realistic.
I drank all day every day by the end - I've been sober for nearly 12 years.

Before that - through stubbornness at not wanting to change, through anger at having to change, and through fear of what my life would be sober - I tried to keep drinking in my life.

That was untenable.

To really evaluate abstinence you need to give it a decent go - more than a day or two.

Reread some of your old posts.,
Thats where drinking takes you. Time and again and again and again HC

Thats where drinking - without question - will take you again.

Anger shown against an alternative view. Not helpful
If you're not willing to do stop drinking, thats your call - but everyone here knows that moderation is a fools errand.

Noone else here with any knowledge of your story and long struggle to stop drinking is going to cosign what is a bad, and sad, decision for you HC.

You're simply committing yourself to a few more crazy spins on the addiction
merry go round man.
D
Old 03-12-2019, 04:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

HigherCall, SR is based on abstinence. Of course, we have members who are still drinking, but with the intention of abstaining.

We do not promote the use of alcohol on this board, so we do not promote moderating drinking.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm happier now, living sober, than I ever was while I was drinking.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think you are a little bit in denial and if you could control your drinking as you say you can you wouldn't be on a recovery site.

I would like to believe that abstinence is not the only solution, however I am starting to believe it is the best solution.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

HC,
I have no idea what is best for you. For me and many others quitting is a simple well defined solution to a problem with alcohol. I do not think one needs to be a full blown low bottom "alcoholic" to benefit from just quitting.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It's possible I am completely cured of alcoholism and I could moderate my drinking for the rest of my days.

What a shame I'll never find out since alcohol holds no appeal for me anymore. Why anybody would want to drink that stuff is beyond me.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I respect everyone’s opinion. However I do not believe I am powerless over alcohol and do not believe learning how to enjoy alcohol is impossible.

i thank those who have shown me kindness. I respect this site is for total abstinence and having been a member for a long time it has not worked for me.

i now want to delete my profile and would like to know how to do so!
Old 03-12-2019, 04:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm about 15 minutes new to this site, but I can attest to all the previous poster's HC. I did the same thing, had so many "I'll just cut back and feel better." conversations with myself that I can't count them all. So many "Tomorrow I'll do better." promises.

I went through 6 days of detox in a hospital just over 3 months ago where I was physically restrained in a delirious state. I tried to escape, tried to fight back, said the most awful things to my wife, my parents and my friends that I can't even remember and had to be recounted to me.

You can convince yourself for a long time, but eventually it will get the better of you as addictions do and when it does, that nosedive happens faster than you could ever believe.

I hope you come out on the other side and live a long life in abstinence.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Highercall View Post
I respect everyone’s opinion. However I do not believe I am powerless over alcohol and do not believe learning how to enjoy alcohol is impossible.

i thank those who have shown me kindness. I respect this site is for total abstinence and having been a member for a long time it has not worked for me.

i now want to delete my profile and would like to know how to do so!
Even if we don't see things the same way I would be sorry to see you disappear from the site. If everyone agreed all the time this would be a very vanilla world.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Come on man. Too many responses and posts for you to go this route. Here :

.Highercall , 05-01-2018 08:21 PM
I have struggled with alcoholism my whole adult life. I have been vomiting nearly everyday making bad decisions and sufferring severe anxiety the morning after the night before. It's always been a vicious circle of getting drunk bad hangover sober for a day or two and then back to drinking. I am desperate to overcome this.
Be year ago you posted that. Nuff said?
​​​​​​

​​​​​​
Old 03-12-2019, 05:19 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Highercall View Post
I don’t have to justify myself to anyone or made to feel ashamed for having a drink.
Hey, I don't judge or want to make anyone ashamed for having a drink. I drank plenty in my past... That being said, I am always concerned if someone who is struggling asks for help.

Since you're posting on a recovery site, I wonder if part of you is asking to be talked out of it? I wonder if it's your internal voice judging you?

I do wish you well, whatever you choose. I would just hope that you make the best decision for you and not your addiction. They are separate, even if it doesn't always feel like it.

I hope if you decide that you want to pursue sobriety that you know you're always welcome here.

PS Edit to say: and yes, for me, abstinence was the only solution. And it's so much easier and better.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Obviously you can do whatever you want HC, binge drink, have a few here and there, whatever you want.
I could never "learn" how to drink like a normie .
Why delete your account? If all's well and you'er cured then you should have zero need to even visit this forum
Old 03-12-2019, 05:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

HC, I can close your account for you, if that's your decision.

Just let me know.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:48 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Highercall - Most of us tried desperately to be social drinkers. Almost no one gave it up without a fight. Trying to moderate brought me to my knees, even though I was absolutely determined that I could have a few drinks now & then. Things spun out of control too many times, & led me into serious danger. In the end, I was playing with my life. We are trying to spare you from that pain.

I hope you won't close your account.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:55 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I don’t have to justify myself to anyone or made to feel ashamed for having a drink.

and yet you did come here to justify/promote your desire to keep drinking.