Notices

Let's talk about how crappy wine is

Old 03-09-2019, 12:10 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Yeah not only the pretentiousness but touting all the “health benefits”.
Old 03-09-2019, 12:24 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

To me there's a lot of sanctimony and pretentiousness in the people on this thread pointing fingers at the people who enjoy wine. It's not their fault that we have problems drinking. And I think that this kind of self-righteousness is something to be very aware of once you get sober. Why should I hold it against someone else who enjoys something that life has to offer just because for me I can't fit it into my life?
Old 03-09-2019, 12:27 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
To me there's a lot of sanctimony and pretentiousness in the people on this thread pointing fingers at the people who enjoy wine. It's not their fault that we have problems drinking. And I think that this kind of self-righteousness is something to be very aware of once you get sober. Why should I hold it against someone else who enjoys something that life has to offer just because for me I can't fit it into my life?
I completely agree with this. I love wine. I just don’t drink it anymore. I also love coffee, water, and occasionally diet soda. That’s what I drink now.
Old 03-09-2019, 01:46 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Sheldon Cooper from "Big Bang Theory" once quipped sarcastically , "Mmm, grape juice that burns!!"
I don't watch that show anymore but that still makes me laugh.
Old 03-09-2019, 01:47 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

Agree with this and the irony is amusing. I don't proselytize to those in my circles who drink. I haven't even told anyone that I don't drink. The more critical thinking types have figured out I'm on the wagon and don't need to ask questions, highlight it or whatever; the others just tell me to help myself when I come over.

That being said, if mocking wine drinkers on a forum is going to help a person with 2 weeks or whatever make it through the weekend or whatever, then so be it.
Old 03-09-2019, 02:07 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Wow. Okay! I didn’t think this was such a serious thread but I’ll try to look at it from the perspective of others who have commented on it.
Old 03-09-2019, 02:17 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I do think wine tasting and buying/drinking expensive bottles of wine are pretentious activities and maybe this is judgemental of me but I couldn't care if that's what people like to do. I doubt people who enjoy that are going to be offended by my opinion. Each to their own.

I also didn't see this thread as being serious and if talking about how terrible wine is is therapeutic for some people then HOORAY

Anyway I do genuinely think wine is awful stuff. I can't say I have ever enjoyed the taste of it although I used to pretend that I did.

One good thing about wine (not me drinking it personally) but it reminds me of my Grandma who was my best friend in the world. She loved her two glasses on wine on a night time. They were the highlight of her day and it made her very happy. Some people do genuinely enjoy wine and can do it sensibly so good on them :-) doesn't mean I can't loathe the stuff.
Old 03-09-2019, 02:30 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Because many of them can’t handle it either. I understand the women I know not being able to face their alcohol problems, lord knows I had enough denial for 20 years.

What I don’t approve of is the over the top romanticizing, the cultural adoration, the obsession, and the constant chatter about something that is actually often quite dangerous. I have dinner with people who have wine, very often. It’s not a big deal. But I don’t go out with gangs of women, tons of bottles, and no food included in the outing.

It’s fine if friends want to do that. But I am so over “mommy needs her wine” culture, wine purses, wine bracelets, wine t shirts, wine bottles as decoration, wine parties....some of these women who love wine this much have deep problems with alcohol. It’s affecting them, their kids, their jobs, their relationships. And our culture gives a huge thumbs up, and there are precious few other things that women do together anymore other than drink.

I will mock wine memes and wine culture because I think too few people are giving that perspective and I think that’s not a positive direction for women in this culture.
Old 03-09-2019, 02:53 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I love wine. Not expensive OTT stuff just normal mid range stuff. nothing pretentious but nothing seedy either. I wouldn't drink horrible stuff. But I can't drink normally so that part of my life is past.

I do get that many people drink normally, enjoy wine and don't have a problem and that;s great for them.

I don't like the pretentious stuff and pretending that it's normal to drink excessively.

Where I live it's all gin, gin gin now. Seem to have moved on from wine. Gin clubs, parties, tasting sessions, classes, gin advent calendars, gin baby showers, gin days in local distillery (or whatever gin places are called!). Our local botanic garden runs gin workshops. I mean seriously?

Gin seems to be the new wine.
Old 03-09-2019, 03:17 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Administrator

Folks, if you don't like a thread, you can choose not to read it or post in it.
Quit it.

Dee
SR
Old 03-09-2019, 04:23 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I lurk here all the time and really like the threads that get people 'having conversations' even if their views differ enormously. It puts all of your alcohol opinions in to one big basket for me.
I do think though, that ultimately you are all coming from the same start place..........over indulgence of alcohol, whether it be wine or any other, is not the way to live a healthy and happy life, and I am proof of that.
I really appreciate all of your stories, musings, warnings, comments, experiences etc.
I read avidly, daily.......thank you to all of you.

Cuckoo
Old 03-09-2019, 04:31 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Years ago I was wine tasting and I put a few dollar bills in what I thought was the tip cup, but it was the spit cup lol.

My local paper just had several pages on different ways to cook chicken. Of course they also had blurbs about wines that pair well, give me a break!
Old 03-09-2019, 07:36 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I really, really needed this thread. Thank you WaterOx.

My first drink was in third grade when my parents let me taste wine on a tasting trip to Napa Valley. There is a picture of a little school girl smiling as she engorges the glass of red wine.

I can relate to every post about how "sophisticated" wine drinking became a cover for my alcoholism. I lived for wine. I went to wine stores; I drank a bottle every night for twenty years; I have red wine stains everywhere and the teeth stains are horrid; I vomited and urinated so much wine that I could smell the alcohol fermentation in my house.

I just heard an advertisement on National Public Radio in the U.S. about joining their wine club.

Anyways, every time I go out and quit sobriety, it is over that romantic fantasy of tasting wine. So, again, I really needed this thread.

A GLASS OF WINE IS NOT MY FRIEND. I WILL NEVER BE HAPPY WITH ONE GLASS. I WILL WANT MORE AND MORE.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:56 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stayingsassy View Post
Because many of them can’t handle it either. I understand the women I know not being able to face their alcohol problems, lord knows I had enough denial for 20 years.

What I don’t approve of is the over the top romanticizing, the cultural adoration, the obsession, and the constant chatter about something that is actually often quite dangerous. I have dinner with people who have wine, very often. It’s not a big deal. But I don’t go out with gangs of women, tons of bottles, and no food included in the outing.

It’s fine if friends want to do that. But I am so over “mommy needs her wine” culture, wine purses, wine bracelets, wine t shirts, wine bottles as decoration, wine parties....some of these women who love wine this much have deep problems with alcohol. It’s affecting them, their kids, their jobs, their relationships. And our culture gives a huge thumbs up, and there are precious few other things that women do together anymore other than drink.

I will mock wine memes and wine culture because I think too few people are giving that perspective and I think that’s not a positive direction for women in this culture.
Yep my mom is pretty much like that lol
Old 03-09-2019, 08:00 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WaterOx View Post
^^^ mic drop. Thank you.

Who would have known that a place called Sober Recovery would have a problem critiquing alcohol. My post was not meant to be controversial as much as it was an exercise in sobriety.

SOME OF BEST FRIENDS ARE WINE DRINKERS. There, I said it.
I for one think it's a terrific post. And I thank you for it. I mean that genuinely, I think that people who feel differently about this subject than me have valid points and I'm happy to have shared in their thinking. For me the greatest value of this site is the back and forth, sometimes completely agreeing, sometimes very much in conflict.

For me, as much as I agree with many of the responses here, I also want to keep in mind my tendency to get sanctimonious. I'm not saying that anyone here walks around their life judging others, I just think it's a valid thing to be aware of. For me personally it's something I am aware of and want to be conscious of during my sobriety.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:02 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by listae View Post
I really, really needed this thread. Thank you WaterOx.

My first drink was in third grade when my parents let me taste wine on a tasting trip to Napa Valley. There is a picture of a little school girl smiling as she engorges the glass of red wine.

I can relate to every post about how "sophisticated" wine drinking became a cover for my alcoholism. I lived for wine. I went to wine stores; I drank a bottle every night for twenty years; I have red wine stains everywhere and the teeth stains are horrid; I vomited and urinated so much wine that I could smell the alcohol fermentation in my house.

I just heard an advertisement on National Public Radio in the U.S. about joining their wine club.

Anyways, every time I go out and quit sobriety, it is over that romantic fantasy of tasting wine. So, again, I really needed this thread.

A GLASS OF WINE IS NOT MY FRIEND. I WILL NEVER BE HAPPY WITH ONE GLASS. I WILL WANT MORE AND MORE.
You're welcome, love. I had quite a journey with wine, myself. There's a lot of good memories, to be honest. That's pretty much why I started this thread.

Because I'm trying to stay sober.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:05 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Well, this one touched some nerves.
When I was drinking, We used to have wine with dinner almost every evening.
After I stopped, I came to see that I didn't really like wine.
Who knew?
I still, on rare occasions, miss beer and hard cider though.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:09 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Yep, many of my dearest women friends are heavy wine drinkers too. Some of them have been my friends since high school. If they want to go do a workout with me, do lunch, or come to my home for coffee; I’ll even offer them beer or wine, it’s fine.

But I do not approve of the general consensus in the U.S. that women cannot cope with jobs, kids, mothers in law or their lives, if they do not crack open a bottle or two at the end of the day, it’s a really awful message to send that has sent more than one woman to rehab, I am convinced.

I have given this same speech on Facebook as well. My entire friends list heard this from me. I take it seriously, because no one else seems to, and it’s killing people.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:13 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Maudcat View Post
After I stopped, I came to see that I didn't really like wine
Me too. I never could tell the difference between wines. Thought I liked wine. Then I stopped and realized that I never really did like the stuff.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:24 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

I was such a pretentious wine snob. And craft beer snob. I love this thread.

I think it’s true that focusing on recovery can’t be something that solely involves vilifying alcohol but I also think that doing so can be cathartic. OP lives in wine country and has it shoved in their face. This thread is probably a helpful component to dealing with that.

I love my pretentious friends, too. That doesn’t make them not pretentious. They are human - star dust dressed in a meat suit just like me. Revering a central nervous system depressant and creating a culture around it marred with stratification is nothing I’m interested in defending at this point.

There are pot snobs now, too. I know because I went into a dispensary. I never had a problem with pot and I am pro-legalization because I dons support the black market or over criminalization of most things. So I went in, just to experience the wow, never thought I’d see this day. I don’t use pot, never liked it, never will. But I did, as a teen, and very early 20s. It made me laugh and I had to leave. Why? It reminded me of snobby wine circles for potheads.

I’m a coffee snob. I get picked on for it. When I travel for work I bring my own beans and a grinder and a portable pour over. Super pretentious. Fortunately I will laugh at myself along with the others.

So what’s crappy about wine? It’s possibly a nice accompaniment to food but if so, as a condiment. I don’t see anyone, ever, using it that way. I mean mustard snobs actually do exist, I’m not joking, but they don’t go to festivals consuming vast amounts of it or pick their restaurants based on mustard quality and variety and the reason is because mustard doesn’t affect the central nervous system.

Denial is deep shoot.