Notices

The dreaded S word

Old 03-08-2019, 08:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The dreaded S word

Hey guys,
I know for a lot of us alcohol is our number one priority and I don’t mean to belittle all of our efforts to keep king alcohol at bay with this post. I know that I used “S”ugar a lot early on to curb my cravings and I still do to a point. I’ve got a chunk of sobriety under my belt and I’ve recently been dealing with something for quite some time now that has been bothering the hell out of me. Long story short I have volunteered with the homeless in the past and I believe that I received some kind of pest that has been making me itch at night. It’s been going on for quite some time now and I’ve noticed that I get some relief when I eat less sugar. So, my goal in my post is to 1) has anyone had a mysterious itching all over their body? 2) what kind of foods do you eat that are low in sugar? A big one for me is breakfast. I’m a get up and go kinda guy so I honestly don’t make a lot of time for breakfast. Can anyone recommend a cereal bar or something that has low sugar? I noticed Kashi brand only has 5g. That compared to Nature Valley which has 12g….holy cow..big difference! Anyway, I hope everyone is drudging the road to happy destiny!
God Bless,
Garrison
Old 03-08-2019, 09:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by comtnman740 View Post
I’m a get up and go kinda guy so I honestly don’t make a lot of time for breakfast.
Sure, but it doesn't take that long to eat a bowl of zero sugar cereal, or heat up some sugar free oatmeal.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

ONE bars. They are the only bars I like and the have 20g protein and no sugar. The birthday cake flavor (yep) and the blackberry pie are the two I get. I usually have a couple on hand either for a breakfast or in my purse in case I get caught w/ too long between meals. You can get them online (I forget where I did once, so google - and I think Amazon) if they aren't at a grocery near you like Publix here.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

1- I had itching all over early on in my recovery because of the ascites...but not anymore.

2- I don't know if you eat eggs, but I wake up at 640 a.m. for work, put 3-6 eggs in my blender, put them on the stove. Shower. Get out of the shower 10 minutes later, quick mix of the eggs, done. Add hot sauce, Boom. No sugar, no carb, high protein. I put the eggs in a container for the office, grab a fresh cup of hot tea, out the door by 7am.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If you want to cut sugar, you have to cut carbs as well. Your body processes them the same way.

Id recommend watching the Netflix documentary, The Magic Pill. Its amazing!
Old 03-08-2019, 12:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WhoDeyPI View Post
1- I had itching all over early on in my recovery because of the ascites...but not anymore.

2- I don't know if you eat eggs, but I wake up at 640 a.m. for work, put 3-6 eggs in my blender, put them on the stove. Shower. Get out of the shower 10 minutes later, quick mix of the eggs, done. Add hot sauce, Boom. No sugar, no carb, high protein. I put the eggs in a container for the office, grab a fresh cup of hot tea, out the door by 7am.
Whodey, are you rocky balboa? Lol
Old 03-08-2019, 12:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi comt, this has not happened to me before. I hope it isn’t bed bugs! My favorite breakfast is a hard boiled egg sliced up and spread on top of avocado on toast. Amazing! I love Dave’s bread. It’s not Gf, but it is high fiber and low carb.

I also make these amazing fruit nut bars. It’s a blend of walnuts and dates Ina blender. Then I spread it in a pan, top it with cashew cream and freeze, cut I to bars. There’s lots of great paleo recipes if you Google Search recipes for paleo granola bars.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fearlessat50 View Post
Whodey, are you rocky balboa? Lol
Hahaha NO! I just like eggs, I guess. 6 eggs doesn't seem like that much food for me....and I'm not really a big guy. 6'0" 182lbs.
Old 03-08-2019, 01:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WhoDeyPI View Post
2- I don't know if you eat eggs, but I wake up at 640 a.m. for work, put 3-6 eggs in my blender, put them on the stove. Shower. Get out of the shower 10 minutes later, quick mix of the eggs, done.
That just kicked my anxiety into overdrive...lol...no food on the stove while in a different room. Ha, I’ll stop worrying now.

I mix mix my eggs the night before and store them in a glass jar in the fridge. They are a quick cook in the morning then.
Old 03-08-2019, 03:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Um, if you picked something up, like, um, lice or bed bugs I don't think that has much to do with sugar. Might wanna really look into that. Yikes.

But sugar does increase candida. Candida feeds on it and it can manifest in skin rashes...although it usually remains more in the gut. If you have a visible rash then have a dermatologist look at it and determine what it is.
Old 03-08-2019, 03:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome sated

D
Old 03-09-2019, 09:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I make a big 12 egg frittata with bacon and various vegetables on a Sunday and that is my breakfasts for the week. Low car nil sugar and satisfying. Goes with my bullet proof coffee
Old 03-09-2019, 11:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi comtnman740,
No idea on the itching but respect for volunteering with the homeless. That is a worthy cause! I have thought about doing similar. The homeless problem here in the UK gets steadily worse and worse. Our Govt. is in meltdown, politics in the UK has failed.

Low Sugar: My wife did the carb-free diet a few years backs and lost stones in weight, literally.
No bread, pasta, potatoes or rice
Berries (Strawberries/Blueberries)
All veg that grows above ground (carb in some veg is relatively high)
Meat
Dairy
Nuts (peanuts/walnuts)

All the best
Old 03-10-2019, 10:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I don’t eat breakfast .

I’ve doing warrior diet (one meal a day) for a long time now mixed up w/ low-carb eating. On weekends, I eat a midday brunch that is eggs, avocado, chicken sausage — I love it.

It works for me, but definitely not for everybody.

Re: Itching. Would definitely talk to a doctor or dermatologist. I had bad itching and it literally just turned out to be very dry skin. Lubriderm Advanced Therapy lotion made a big difference.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have another dreaded S word for you: scabies.

Common where there are lots of people in a space, very contagious.

If you have it, there willl be obvious tracks on the skin where you scratch. Decreasing sugar is getting rid of some of the inflammation, but you should get the underlying problem checked.
Old 03-10-2019, 02:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I hate to ask this but could it be scabies? I have had it. It gets worse at night and will drive you mad. Do you see any tiny red tracks?
Old 03-10-2019, 02:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Especially since you’ve been out among challenged, densely populated buildings and areas. It can be eradicated but it’s a process.