Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Going from serial relapser to staying sober - changes that made a difference.

Notices

Going from serial relapser to staying sober - changes that made a difference.

Old 03-09-2019, 08:50 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Another thing that occurs is that serial relapsers are also serial try-ers so don't be hard on yourself but do be hard on making changes the next time.
^^^ This is beautiful. ^^^
Old 03-10-2019, 08:17 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Wow!!!

Saoutchik, thank you for this great information, I have reread this several times and will be sharing parts of it on my March 2019 thread. And I too waited a long time to get sober, I am in my fifties and spent the past 20-25 years drinking and using drugs. Constantly wish I had WANTED to be sober.....So I guess it’s never too late for any of us.

I was amazed by everyone on this thread, especially MesaMan and WaterOx: particularly the summation:

Create a strategy for your day.
Develop new habits and priorities.
Make a plan, Keep Busy and Stave off Bordom.

Like all of you, I am challenged everyday to practice the above as well as new Coping Skills and my CBT Therapy. I also find my posting and reading through SR to be Therapy. Another tool that is helping me is to look at YouTube everyday and learn about Coping Skills, AA, CBT, RELAPSE TIPS, Mindfulness, etc. It is so easy to type in a random topic I am seeking in the search bar and to find a variety of selections to choose from. I also research online and read several books on these topics. All of this keeps me indoctrinated and immersed in my recovery as I manage and evolve
into my new sober identity.
Warm Wishes to everyone today....
Old 03-10-2019, 08:31 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
I probably spent too much of that post on how I personally got sober. I am not the most fluent of writers. My intention was not so much to say "look at me, I got sober" but to encourage those people like me, who failed on numerous occasions to keep trying and to keep looking into yourself to find that change from before that will make a difference. I really wish I had done that sooner than the age of 54.
I think your post is great and can be a great benefit to just about everyone here. Thank you
Old 03-11-2019, 02:32 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Thanks for all the fantastic posts guys! I mean that, there are some real insights here.

I was really dumb letting things get so bad with my drinking and for so long but it shows that even if you think it is too late for you to get sober, it's not, it just takes some analysis and determination.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:43 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

We started together on SR, Class Jan 2015 and you have done so well.
I on the other hand, am still struggling but as each day pass, I feel I'm getting closer and stronger to where I want to be.
I lost my way but back on track.
Thank you for the analysis of how you quit, it is of great advise.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:50 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

Thanks for this post Saoutchik x