Notices

3 days sober

Old 03-07-2019, 10:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

3 days sober

Hi

I've posted here before. I went to a detox centre in January 2018 and was sober 30 days but still didn't think I had a problem and thought I could moderate 14 months later after several relapses I've finally realised I have a problem. I've been sober three days and the anxiety I've experienced has been very challenging. I looked up alcohol withdrawal on Wikipedia and realised I had most of the symptoms including sweating and nausea and of course anxiety

I'm also aware of kindling and realised that even if I had a small amount of alcohol it could be worse everytime I quit.

I bought 4 cans of cider earlier and put them in my fridge but after doing my research, I have just poured them down the sink.

Here's to a sober life!
Old 03-07-2019, 10:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome back.

Good job on pouring out the alcohol. In the long run, they'd only worsen your anxiety and other symptoms. As you well know.
Congratulations on three days. And remember, you never have to drink or go through the withdrawal symptoms again.
Best to you in sobriety.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 3 days and pouring the cider down the sink. I can not advocate enough for going to the doctor and telling them the truth, there's lots of help available for the anxiety, you don't have to white knuckle! I'm a few hours behind you and this has been my easiest detox yet because I have help with the anxiety. You can do this!
Old 03-07-2019, 10:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I want to share something that I had just read last night out of the AA Big Book.

This is on page 33 Chapter 3 called More About Alcoholism:

Most of us have believed that if we remained sober for a long stretch, we could thereafter drink normally. But here is a man who at fifty-five years found he was just where he had left off at thirty. We have seen the truth demonstrated again and again: "Once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic." Commencing to drink after a period of sobriety, we are in a short time as bad as ever. If we are planning to stop drinking, there must be no reservation of any kind, nor any lurking notion that someday we will be immune to alcohol.

Linked with the permission of Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.

I have thought the same way as every other addict. That I can return after I have had some clean time. Every time that I relapse I leave off from where I was before I quit the last time. I have had reservations left for psychedelics because I felt like I never abused them. I think that if I do them after years of sobriety that I will open up the door to start using my drug of choice again habitually. I have cancelled these reservations. I will not even smoke bud even though it is legal here because I have mixed it with every other drug known to man. It will link the use of pot to the use of other harder drugs that are not good for me. I hope that this helps you out a bit. I am not trying to lecture you or anything like that. I am just trying to show you what I have learned from reading the book.

Last edited by Dee74; 03-07-2019 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ohhh sweating was the worst for me. Hot sweat, cold sweat, sweat sweat.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations on 3 days Schizodoc!
Old 03-07-2019, 03:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good Job on 3 days! Sounds like you have turned an important corner.
Old 03-07-2019, 04:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Schizodoc

I'm glad you poured the booze out. Things got a lot better when I accepted my problem.

D
Old 03-07-2019, 07:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I found that I started to feel better after 3 days. I'm glad you're getting sober again.
Old 03-08-2019, 03:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good on you!