Notices

I just want it to end

Old 03-07-2019, 04:06 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I hope you don't think I'm being patronising or interfering but I would be very cautious about NA beer.

Do you really like the taste? There are so many delicious soft drinks out there. I only drank wine or beer or gin for the effects, not the taste. For me, i would just be annoyed that I wasn't getting the effects of the beer. I would also question why I needed or wanted to drink NA beer ? Am I pretending to still be drinking? It would only be a matter of time before I wanted the real thing.

I'd also seriously keep out of pubs in early days. even now I would not go in a pub. I do not see the point in putting myself in temptation's way or making things harder for me.

I hope you read this in the spirit it is meant
Old 03-07-2019, 07:29 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
I hope you don't think I'm being patronising or interfering but I would be very cautious about NA beer.

Do you really like the taste? There are so many delicious soft drinks out there. I only drank wine or beer or gin for the effects, not the taste. For me, i would just be annoyed that I wasn't getting the effects of the beer. I would also question why I needed or wanted to drink NA beer ? Am I pretending to still be drinking? It would only be a matter of time before I wanted the real thing.

I'd also seriously keep out of pubs in early days. even now I would not go in a pub. I do not see the point in putting myself in temptation's way or making things harder for me.

I hope you read this in the spirit it is meant
I like the taste. It seems to help me past the craving.

My partner doesn't know what I am doing only that I have stopped because I want to lose weight. I dont want to admit to him that I have a problem. That is my issue.

I'm craving badly today but trying to ignore it.
Old 03-07-2019, 01:58 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Still sober!!!!!!! I'm rocking it!!!!
Old 03-07-2019, 02:29 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Congrats - you go, girl! Stay in touch!
Old 03-07-2019, 05:46 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

If you make sobriety your number one priority....above your job, your friends, other relationships, your marriage, you name it: sobriety first; then when the craving comes it will feel bizarre to have a drink, since you have made it your first goal, first priority, first task: to avoid picking up a drink.

All other things lose importance to that: not picking up a drink. Craving? “Well, too bad, because my job is to stop drinking, so why would I drink when my only task is to avoid it?” Partner drinking? Again remind yourself, “all I have to do right now is not drink. That’s it. I’ll find ways to communicate this to the ones I love.” Friends drinking? Remind yourself, “gosh it’s too bad they don’t like it when I don’t drink, but it is what it is, and my number one job right now is to not drink, learn how to communicate to everyone that I am grateful to be sober, and keep sobriety at the top of the list.”

I lived, ate, and breathed sobriety for at least six months. I read about it all day. I cut back on work. I cut back on all stress. I avoided drinking situations. I carefully paid attention to my thoughts and where they were leading me. Were my thoughts leading me to sobriety, or to drinking?

Are you making it your first task? If not, then yes, it’s easy to give into craving.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:46 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by zombiegirl View Post
Please please help me I am here and I am needing support. I will be checking in several times a day to get through this.

thanks for reading x
There has never been a time in my life when I or my situation did not improve by reaching out for help.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:23 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hope all is going okay for you Zombiegirl
Old 03-10-2019, 05:36 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi zombiegirl. Stay strong and keep going! I’m on day 15 so am also in the early stages. I drink 0% NA beer as I like the taste too, however I do avoid pubs and parties. I’m not ready for those yet. I told my partner everything, and pointed him to al anon with someone’s advice on here. I’m not asking him to go just said it’s there if he wants it. I’ll cancel events with him if I feel that it might risk my recovery, eg dinner party with friends or seeing a gig in a pub, so it’s helpful that he knows, so he understands the reasons why. He doesn’t understand the Illness but is being supportive nonetheless, and I hope your partner would do the same for you. Remember your recovery must come first before all else! I made the mistake of not doing that and relapsed. This time round I’m putting it before everything and everyone. Best of luck!