Notices

Day 1 Again

Old 03-05-2019, 08:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1 Again

I had a good 30 day stretch going in the fall of 2018. Even when I broke the streak I'd get back on the horse and get a few sober days under my belt. But that tapered off and I've now drank to extreme excess every single day of 2019.

Last night I had a gallbladder attack and decided I'd go to my doctor and ask for surgery to have it removed. She's having me get an ultrasound first and I don't even want to know what my liver looks like. I'm afraid, so afraid that I'm not drinking, I know I won't drink until the 15th just in case that can make it look better.

The really scary part is that if it's just my gallbladder and my liver has zero issues, that's going to make me feel okay about drinking. But on the flip-side if there is something wrong, I may never forgive myself for doing this to my family.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi welcome back Giggler

I don't want to wish ill upon you so I hope your liver is fine - but even if it is that's no lifetime guarantee - its no promise it'll still be ok next year or 5 years , or ten years if you keep drinking...

I mean most people would freak at having drunk so much its contributed to them having to have their gallbladder out....

D
Old 03-05-2019, 11:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you can get sober for good before something awful happens. Don't risk your health.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Be honest with your doctor about your drinking. Alcohol consumption can have a serious impact on surgery and post surgery recovery.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Best of luck on day 1. I hope everything goes well for you.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good luck with the medical issues. I remember your post from last year, hope this is finally enough to convince you to put down the poison for good. Let me say though that guilt over your previous choices to drink can often lead to picking up again. Be vigilant and don't let that happen.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi welcome back Giggler

I don't want to wish ill upon you so I hope your liver is fine - but even if it is that's no lifetime guarantee - its no promise it'll still be ok next year or 5 years , or ten years if you keep drinking...

I mean most people would freak at having drunk so much its contributed to them having to have their gallbladder out....

D
I never considered that, to be honest. My gallbladder has been an issue for years before the drinking started, but you're right, I'm sure it didn't help. Thanks for putting that in perspective.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Be honest with your doctor about your drinking. Alcohol consumption can have a serious impact on surgery and post surgery recovery.
Thanks for the advice. I was honest with my doctor starting last October. I think that's why she mentioned getting an ultrasound of my gallbladder AND liver. Whatever happens, happens. I'm feeling a lot better about it today, there's no point living in the past.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
Good luck with the medical issues. I remember your post from last year, hope this is finally enough to convince you to put down the poison for good. Let me say though that guilt over your previous choices to drink can often lead to picking up again. Be vigilant and don't let that happen.
Thank you. I've registered for some evening cooking classes with my 13 year old daughter, but they're only once a month. I need to find activities to fill up my evenings.
Old 03-06-2019, 02:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Activities are good but no one can be busy 24/7, so relying on activity alone to keep you sober is kinda risky.

Have you given any thought to a recovery action plan?
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...very-plan.html

D