Notices

Struggling, but not how I expected to.

Old 03-05-2019, 10:13 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Glad you're feeling better today. Nice that you have a boss who knows what's going on.

I would love a part-time job like that! Sounds like fun. If I thought my little town could support another coffee/tea shop, I'd open one. But sadly, the one we have struggles as it is. I'd love a tea shop with really good tea, made properly. We don't have that.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:31 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
Glad you're feeling better today. Nice that you have a boss who knows what's going on.

I would love a part-time job like that! Sounds like fun. If I thought my little town could support another coffee/tea shop, I'd open one. But sadly, the one we have struggles as it is. I'd love a tea shop with really good tea, made properly. We don't have that.
Pretty sure I'm the only one who actually orders the tea at this place, but they have a nice selection and all the "fancy" tea making equipment, so I might be wrong on that. Like most places, they sell coffee, beer, and wine as well, so I'm think that stuff is how they keep profiting. But hey, I sit there at the bar with my tea while those around me have alcohol, and I'm perfectly content.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:59 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Meditation, understanding that I don't have to control my thoughts, I just have to stop letting them control me, acceptance of what I can and cannot change and compassion for others has really helped me with racing constant thoughts. I used to fill my time with either drinking or working or both (if I worked from home) as I did not like to be left with my thoughts. I became a workaholic and an alcoholic and nothing much else. A lot has changed in the last 9 months.

I stopped feeding my mind negativity or darkness, for example I used to always have the crime channels on in the background if I worked from home or was pottering around the house. Subconciously I was feeding my mind the message that the world was full of bad people and murder and child killers, arsonists, robbers, mafia, drug dealers and so on. I can't tell you how much of a positive impact it has had on me just stopping that one habit. I never put these channels on anymore and I don't feel so heavy and disconnected or frustrated with the world. I am much more positive. Such a simple change.

I have also had a pretty highly paid corporate career for the past 15-20 years and through sobriety I realised that it wasn't making me truly happy. The money I earned I spent on things to fill the void in my soul, the void created by being a workaholic and alcoholic which I used to facilitate a life dedicated to not dealing with the root cause of my problems or inner unhappiness. I used to tell myself that I carried on thinking about work in my free time and wanted to get ahead the next day was something I enjoyed, but the reality was I used it as an excuse, an avoidance tactic so I didn't have to actually take a leap and commit to doing other things in my life, mainly out of fear. I knew I was good at my job and I the validation I got from it became addictive till the only way I knew how to feel good was to work harder to get more validation. I no longer need as much external validation as I used to so again this really shifted my view on my career and what I needed in life. A few weeks ago I closed down my company, took a low level 9-5 with not great pay 15 minutes from my house. Best decision I have made for my sobriety. I now work to live not live to work and it's a great headspace to be in.

On the why are we here..what is my purpose level I personally don't think that there is any reason why were here and we have no actual purpose, were just DNA and atoms created by the natural cycle of life. Some people find that depressing but for me it's just what I believe. Now, whilst I say the above that doesn't mean my life has no purpose, I choose what my purpose is and I don't go looking to scientists or philosiphers or religion or anyone to get them to tell me what my purpose is or why I am here. They can only offer conjecture and personal opinion as I don't believe there is an answer to that question, well not an answer that someone else can answer for you as it's a question only you can answer for yourself.

Dunno if the above makes any sense to anyone lol, not always the best at expressing myself! x
Old 03-05-2019, 11:03 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WhoDeyPI View Post
I'm mentally in a much better place today. The boss told me to take today off, but...here I am...at the office trying to make things happen. No worries, I'll take Friday off instead, long weekend means I can go to my "free" happy place...the mountains. In the midst of my emotional breakdown at the office last night, my boss wanted to know what the heck was going on with my mind, and I just hid it and didn't say anything. Then when I got home, I sent him an email trying to explain things the best I know how. He knows about my battle with alcoholism, and was one of the only people to see me when I was in the hospital with my bum liver....so he gets it. Everything will be okay.

In the meantime...I kind of went the other direction with the "work less" thing.....I applied for a PT Saturday/Sunday job at the local tea shop. Just for fun, and a new experience. I'm there all the time anyway, might as well get paid!
I often tend to make sobriety sound like a bed of roses. In truth, I didn't suddenly develop super human powers to deal with the worst case scenarios. Life is still there, and sometimes we can't live up to our expectations, sometimes we will fail. This is not an easy thing to accept for some of us. It can be a blow to the gut, or an errosion of self confidence. But would you rather have this happen to you when you're drunk? I'd rather take one of those hits sober.

Getting sober was just one thing we did that we got right. The other challenges will still be there, and I think we will handle them a tad better, but not as saints or supermen. And we won't be running to the bottle when everything doesn't go our way.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:05 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by MantaLady View Post
...not always the best at expressing myself!
I think you've expressed yourself quite well.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:20 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MantaLady View Post
Meditation, understanding that I don't have to control my thoughts, I just have to stop letting them control me, acceptance of what I can and cannot change and compassion for others has really helped me with racing constant thoughts. I used to fill my time with either drinking or working or both (if I worked from home) as I did not like to be left with my thoughts. I became a workaholic and an alcoholic and nothing much else. A lot has changed in the last 9 months.

I stopped feeding my mind negativity or darkness, for example I used to always have the crime channels on in the background if I worked from home or was pottering around the house. Subconciously I was feeding my mind the message that the world was full of bad people and murder and child killers, arsonists, robbers, mafia, drug dealers and so on. I can't tell you how much of a positive impact it has had on me just stopping that one habit. I never put these channels on anymore and I don't feel so heavy and disconnected or frustrated with the world. I am much more positive. Such a simple change.

I have also had a pretty highly paid corporate career for the past 15-20 years and through sobriety I realised that it wasn't making me truly happy. The money I earned I spent on things to fill the void in my soul, the void created by being a workaholic and alcoholic which I used to facilitate a life dedicated to not dealing with the root cause of my problems or inner unhappiness. I used to tell myself that I carried on thinking about work in my free time and wanted to get ahead the next day was something I enjoyed, but the reality was I used it as an excuse, an avoidance tactic so I didn't have to actually take a leap and commit to doing other things in my life, mainly out of fear. I knew I was good at my job and I the validation I got from it became addictive till the only way I knew how to feel good was to work harder to get more validation. I no longer need as much external validation as I used to so again this really shifted my view on my career and what I needed in life. A few weeks ago I closed down my company, took a low level 9-5 with not great pay 15 minutes from my house. Best decision I have made for my sobriety. I now work to live not live to work and it's a great headspace to be in.

On the why are we here..what is my purpose level I personally don't think that there is any reason why were here and we have no actual purpose, were just DNA and atoms created by the natural cycle of life. Some people find that depressing but for me it's just what I believe. Now, whilst I say the above that doesn't mean my life has no purpose, I choose what my purpose is and I don't go looking to scientists or philosiphers or religion or anyone to get them to tell me what my purpose is or why I am here. They can only offer conjecture and personal opinion as I don't believe there is an answer to that question, well not an answer that someone else can answer for you as it's a question only you can answer for yourself.

Dunno if the above makes any sense to anyone lol, not always the best at expressing myself! x
While I think our views differ on a few things, I get what you are saying, and appreciate it. I live very close to my office, have a boss who understands what I'm going through, and overall I love what I do. I just have to balance it more with "me time". Maybe I just complain too much. A lot of people in this world have far less than me.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:59 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I also have a very stressful job, and find that yoga and time in the “mountains” certainly helps me. Like others have said, the emotional roller coaster can continue for a while.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:14 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

WhoDey - I can't wait to read your book. I'm already gaining so much from your thoughtful and brutally honest posts here.

And this, from MLD - says it all (at least for me)...and I hope I use the quote function correctly here...
Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
I think what it boils down to is this - we are here just to be here for each other, really. Human connection is the name of the game.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:41 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Runswithspoons View Post
WhoDey - I can't wait to read your book. I'm already gaining so much from your thoughtful and brutally honest posts here.

And this, from MLD - says it all (at least for me)...and I hope I use the quote function correctly here...
Well thank you so much, I'm glad that my way of expressing myself is helping someone else. That seriously makes my day.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:28 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...44-stress.html (Stress)

D