Notices

Friday nights are the worst

Old 03-01-2019, 01:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Friday nights are the worst

Hi everyone. I'm on day 7 of sobriety, and finding Friday night so hard. All my colleagues went to the pub and I knew I couldn't go and resisted. I went to an AA meeting which helped, but it still feels like a lonely road. I miss going out, and letting go of everything. I know that if I had I'd feel awful tomorrow if I had, and I'll be grateful I stayed on the path. Any Friday night coping tips would be much appreciated!!
Old 03-01-2019, 01:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The gym & then dinner with a friend?
Old 03-01-2019, 01:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Cigar bar?
Old 03-01-2019, 01:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Cook something tasty or get a take out. Movie or a good book,relax in the bath. join a gym and go to it.

At all times think of how brilliant you will feel waking up tomorrow sober. Every day feels good waking up sober but Saturday mornings are extra special imo Congrats on 1 week sober
Old 03-01-2019, 02:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sober Saturday mornings are the best though.
Old 03-01-2019, 02:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I look at the joy of waking up sober and treasure it.
Old 03-01-2019, 02:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Totally agree about Sober Saturday morning being the best! Probably because I've spent an obscene amount of Saturdays hungover and drinking on top of that, so now they are a wonderful treat. Now they consist of early gym, then a trip to get iced coffee and donuts
Old 03-01-2019, 02:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I wish I could enjoy a sober Saturday, I have to work every Saturday! So enjoy tomorrow and think of me working!
Old 03-01-2019, 02:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Really empathise with this one.
I dealt with it by choosing something that I'd really wanted to do, could do, on my own. Maybe something I loved doing when younger, something I hadn't done for years. Put the Friday aside to do this, schedule it. Prepare...get whatever is needed ahead of time.

Then carry through with it. Don't think of it as how every Friday night will be, just this one.

You find that there is another way of doing the Friday night. Good luck!
Old 03-01-2019, 03:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 7 days of sobriety, and good for you for recognizing that Fridays are difficult. My suggestion is to plan, plan, plan. Make sure you have something to do, hopefully something you will look forward to. I think this is where making lifestyle changes come into play. Hopefully you can come up with some things to do and/or some sober friends to spend time with. These changes may take some time, but they will help to support your recovery.
Old 03-01-2019, 05:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Lots of good ideas so far.

Glad you went to an AA meeting. That should keep you sober tonight and you will feel good when you wake up Saturday morning, hangover free.
Old 03-01-2019, 05:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I play games on my tablet and do puzzles. Helps keep your hands busy too
Old 03-01-2019, 06:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Meddles View Post
Hi everyone. I'm on day 7 of sobriety, and finding Friday night so hard.!
I loved Friday nights after I got sober, better than any other night of the week, because Friday nights I used to drink with impunity. Not that I drank any more than on Tuesday nights, but I felt like Friday was a special night for drinking.

AA meetings were joyful events on Friday night while the rest of the town was getting soused. In my town, it was the most well attended meeting of the week, and the last Friday of each month was "Birthday Friday". At the end of that meeting, everyone with a birthday that month got their chip given to them by a close friend in AA, who would also give a short speech about the recipient. It was like our little version of the Nobel Prize Awards. There were hugs and pats on the back, and lots of gratitude going around. Someone would be in charge of bringing the cake.

New Year's Eve was a huge feast, with games and fireworks at midnight. Who said sobriety can't be tons of enjoyment? "TGIF" (Thank God it's Friday) became "Thank God for Friday Night Meetings." At least for me. Friday night was a good night not to get drunk and a great way to celebrate being happy, joyous, and free.
Old 03-01-2019, 06:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good post.

Fridays were a lot harder before I got married 😂 — now in my 30s an exciting Friday night is just a good meal and a movie at home... a bar is the last place I’d want to be.

But it was a lot harder when I first started trying to quit in my 20s and I lived in the big city — all my friends and colleagues drank on Fridays and Saturdays (and let’s be real, during the week as well). When I stopped drinking, I had major FOMO.

At first.

Then I joined a gym that was open late on Fridays.

I loved it.

I’d hit up the rock climbing wall, go for a good run, hit the free weights, then do a quick swim and steam room and get home around midnight sore and tired — but knowing I had done something productive and healthy.

One of my best friends joined me in the endeavor and then we’d watch a show (Game of Thrones or Vikings) and eat a good meal (usually grilled salmon and roasted veggies).

Honestly, using a Friday night to invest in my health and well-being felt so much better than drinking.

But it’s hard at first. Really hard — and replacing it with something healthy takes some real effort.
Old 03-01-2019, 07:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
MrBrad

They are tough. I too have coworkers that go out on Fridays to "pub 42". It's just not the scene for me.
Old 03-01-2019, 07:38 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My Friday routine (on nights I haven't messed it up drinking) is going to the gym, treating myself to some takeout food, messing around with a video game or YouTube while I eat, and going to bed early. Being up and ready to enjoy the day at 6 or 7AM Saturday is heaven. I kinda found changing up Friday night's routine was one of the quickest ways to see benefits of not drinking, because you add at least 1/2 a day to your weekend.
Old 03-02-2019, 06:17 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Amazing posts, ideas, inspiration, and reminders. I feel good today and grateful not be hungover. Cleaned my whole flat before 9am! Unheard of. Thanks all! So good to know I’m not the only one!
Old 03-02-2019, 08:38 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

a lot of the recovery process/work is breaking the connections our addict brains have made that "give us permission" to use. since we can't take Friday off the calendar, we have to retrain ourselves that Friday is just one of the seven days of the week. it is no more an excuse to drink than rain, sour milk, traffic tickets, work promotions or running out of toothpaste. and the only way to break those connections/habits is to plow our way through it. gut it out. survive that hour or night. get thru the seemingly impossible and discover that it was NOT impossible.

good for you! good on a sober morning and clean house! good on rebuking the call to repeat the pattern.
Old 03-02-2019, 08:53 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Meddles View Post
Amazing posts, ideas, inspiration, and reminders. I feel good today and grateful not be hungover. Cleaned my whole flat before 9am! Unheard of. Thanks all! So good to know I’m not the only one!
Fantastic. Thanks for making my morning!
Old 03-02-2019, 03:17 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you got through meddles
Friday used to be a big thing for me - now it's not - and I'm ok with that

D