Notices

Friday nights are the worst

Old 03-08-2019, 05:37 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thank you for his thread. Today is my 7th day sober and my first Friday. I’m changing my routine this evening when I get out of work. Normally I would run home and crack open that first bottle but instead I will be going to the barn to see my horse and when I get home I will check this thread again. Looking forward to no Saturday hangover.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:40 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Friday night for me are easy. I leave work at 5...go straight to the market, buy all the ingredients I need to cook a nice meal for myself. Go home, cook, eat, watch a movie, go to sleep!
Old 03-08-2019, 05:57 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I can totally relate to the 'missing out' feeling when it comes to Friday nights and Saturday nights, when it's supposedly okay for everyone else to paint the town red.

I'm sure a fair share of people who say they don't miss that and have replaced the same with other activities, are in fact, kidding themselves. I'd rather be honest about it. I don't think I could ever replace my weekend beers with 'hitting the gym' or 'having a nice meal in bed'. And I'm okay with that. Not every experience has a like for like substitute. Fair play to those that don't miss it though. Sober saturday mornings, while nice, are just like any other sober morning, and don't serve as extra compensation, for me personally.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:57 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I do my laundry on Friday night and put it away Saturday morning. Nightly accomplishment and starting the weekend off accomplished, lol. I'll watch a movie with my little. Some times I will paint, this was super crucial in the beginning of sobriety as I was able to meditate while painting and just push all this negative energy out of me. I like to read books. I will go to a used book store and just buy random books for cheap and hope they are good, lol.
Lots to do, work out, sleep, binge-watch TV, come here, go to a meeting, etc...
Old 03-08-2019, 10:08 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Struggling so much today. I am not caving as I've got to take my pain relief and daren't mix them.
those are making me sleepy anyway so it kinda helps me fall asleep easier though I hate having to take them. I'm enjoy reading on a night again with a cup if tea. I just want to sleep and get tonight over with
Old 03-08-2019, 03:36 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Pippo View Post
I'm sure a fair share of people who say they don't miss that and have replaced the same with other activities, are in fact, kidding themselves. I'd rather be honest about it. I don't think I could ever replace my weekend beers with 'hitting the gym' or 'having a nice meal in bed'. And I'm okay with that.
I find it interesting that you assume a fair share of us are kidding ourselves.
Seems to be a persistent motif in your posts.

It took me a few months for the haze of alcoholic thinking to leave me and for the real me to re-emerge. The me I'd forgotten about.

I found that, in reality, I really didn't like parties and arousing that much anyway.

I changed, and as I changed I changed my life.

I discovered I was actually quite content to stay home and read a book, or have a quiet meal with friends, or go star gazing, or whatever.

I love the life I have now. I could never say that as a drinker.

As a drinker I had major FOMO (fear of missing out).

It was that that drove me to go out weekend after weekend and party until I fell down, and it was my social insecurity that kept me drinking in an attempt to try and make me 'fun'.

You may be different - you indeed be a genuine party animal - and thats fine - I can think of other party loving members here who still party, but are sober and happy - but there's no need to assume your experience is any more universal than mine

Whatever yours looks like, I hope you build a sober life you're comfortable in too

D
Old 03-09-2019, 08:25 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I feel like sobriety has helped me reclaim my weekends, and hence, my life. I get so much done on the weekends now. I have the opportunity to do so much more - I don’t have to worry about how to get to wherever I’m going or who will be around and how much I can drink and where I can drink, etc etc etc.

My kids and I have so many weekend plans. The cost factor is neutral as I’ve replaced drinking money with fun money now.

I actually feel feel rested and refreshed after a weekend now. I’m ready to go to work on Monday and feel on top of my game when I get there.

It it was hard at first to get past the weekend party cravings but now that I have, and experience the tangible, positive results, I don’t miss any of my old partying weekends.

Hang in there. The tides will turn for you.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:40 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I’m on 14 days now. Last Friday I made sure I was ready and had things to keep me busy. I took the day off work and treated myself to a manicure and pedicure, I cleaned my whole flat, then cooked a healthy meal, then wrote some threads on here. Baisicaly changed up the routine and it worked. Then on Saturday I swam for nearly an hour and felt so good! It was definitely a lot easier and I’m really pleased about that so just wanted to share. Have a good weekend everyone!