Notices

Weekender Thread 1-4 March 2019

Old 03-04-2019, 03:37 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Afternoon, weekenders.
Old 03-04-2019, 03:48 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Good morning.

I had a very real drinking dream last night, and I had a hard time convincing myself it was a dream. It took awhile to come to reality.

Congrats on one month Evoo. One of the early things I noticed about not drinking was being able to follow the hockey game much better and also see where the puck is. Now I can genuinely react to the game, instead of following the crowed. Tho I'll admin, I leave most of the hockey watching to Mrs. Dragon. She the true rabid hockey fan in this house.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:16 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  
Sober since October

I am about to go to the gym.

Didn't read all the posts. Sorry for not addressing them.

Too preoccupied with my thoughts and worries.

Yesterday's date was some kind of emotionally flat and we cut it short.

I am not sure what happened.

I feel like after 2 months we've exhausted one level of relationships and not ready to go to the next one.

I think I am back to the stage "Hell - have no idea what".
Old 03-04-2019, 11:30 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Originally Posted by MidnightBlue View Post
Didn't read all the posts. Sorry for not addressing them.

Too preoccupied with my thoughts and worries.
Feeling the same MB so you're not alone there! Finding that I am taking the opposite position to everything I read, hear or come across and feeling very "mary mary quite contrary" at the moment. I can't even say I agree with my opposite view lol...it's like being on a negative autopilot but at least I have learned not to act on it now. I just think it and say nothing or type a response and delete before posting etc.

Maybe it's the phases of the moon or some other such randomness and hope that it passes.

Hope everyone is well xx
Old 03-04-2019, 11:30 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Or maybe both of you were just having an off day, MB. I wouldn't place too much stock in it.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:45 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Thank you, Manta and MLD.

I am just going to sleep on it and see what tomorrow brings.

Good night, weekenders)
Old 03-04-2019, 12:30 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  
saoutchik

It being Monday probably doesn't help.

My aim to lose another 5cms (2 inches) off of my waistline has stalled but it's not all my fault, my hernia means that strenuous stuff is out at the moment. I think it's about £3-4Kto get it done privately so I really don't want to go down that path but I can't wait forever.
Old 03-04-2019, 01:08 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
It being Monday probably doesn't help.

My aim to lose another 5cms (2 inches) off of my waistline has stalled but it's not all my fault, my hernia means that strenuous stuff is out at the moment. I think it's about £3-4Kto get it done privately so I really don't want to go down that path but I can't wait forever.
When I slipped a disc last year, I knew I had to do something radical given I was going to be sedentary for so long.

I did a mixture of mostly clean keto and intermittent fasting. It really worked -- even doing nothing at the gym, recovering, and working a desk job -- I still got down to my target weight.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that real weight loss happens in the kitchen, and exercise is more for health and well-being but cannot be relied on to keep off the pounds.
Old 03-04-2019, 01:42 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I agree on most of weight loss happening in the kitchen. I read a really interesting article last week in the Minneapolis paper about how wrong we have all been for a long time about what a healthy diet is. It was called "The Risk-Reversal Diet." It was about a fairly big study that was done on people with people with type 2 diabetes, who went on a diet that is low in carbohydrates and higher in protein and fats (the right kinds of fats) than we have been led to believe we should be eating. So not quite a keto diet, but definitely not the low-calorie, low fat diet we have been told for decades is good for us. Here's an excerpt talking about the diet and results:

As reported last year in the journal Diabetes Therapy by lead investigator Sarah J. Hallberg of Indiana University Health and the dietary coaching firm Virta Health, the physician-directed, app-delivered LCHF intervention reversed diabetes in 60 percent of patients.

That’s not a typo. At a one-year mark in the venture capital-funded study, 60 percent of 262 rural, obese, long-term diabetic patients who were coached on how to eat LCHF dropped and remained below the diagnostic threshold for diabetes. They ate as many calories as they wanted.

Thanks to dietary coaching based on digital monitoring of the ketone blood markers confirming the absence of dietary carbohydrates, they likely ate a lot of once-forbidden foods like eggs, cheese, butter, full-fat dairy and yogurt. The subjects were coached to eat only a normal amount of protein, but all the non-starchy vegetables, greens, berries and dietary fat they desired. Calorically, that breaks down to 10 percent or fewer calories from carbohydrates, 10-20 percent from protein, and 70 percent from fat. Though it may give some pause, the fats helpful in this quest include unlimited amounts of coconut and olive oil, dairy fat and the most marbled cuts of meat — every kind of fat except for that which is used to hold together carbohydrates. This allowed the participants to feel full while keeping their total daily carbohydrate intake under 30 grams a day, or roughly the amount of three slices of bread.

Because you’re wondering about this next part, they lost over 12 percent of their body weight in the process, for an average of 30 pounds, with the weight loss sustained at one year. More importantly, by following close medical guidance, they rapidly titrated downward their diabetes drugs, and by necessity at that, since an acceptable dose of glucose-lowering medications and insulin can quickly become dangerous in the absence of dietary carbohydrates.

By the end of one year, 57 percent of the study subjects had all of their prescriptions discontinued save for the drug metformin, with drug costs halved for the entire group and the use of insulin, a medication currently the subject of shortages and price gouging, either eliminated or halved.

Pretty amazing. My man friend is on a keto diet. He really gets very little exercise, but the weight is dropping. Once the weather is better here and we are able to get out hiking again, he figures it will just enhance the weight loss.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:50 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I have no doubt that is right about most weight loss being down to what goes on in the kitchen it's just that when I was exercising regularly I did not have to diet too hard, just cutting out a few nasties but still lost 5cm/2inches of waist. I suppose the second 5cms was always going to be harder. I would rather run and allow myself a few treats at the weekend than do very little and have none. It's not too bad, these days I am only a little bit outside of the green zone on one of those BMI chart things.
Old 03-04-2019, 03:09 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  

LCHF diet has been scientifically proven and put into a book by CSIRO,

https://www.csiro.au/en/Research/Hea...Wellbeing-Diet

Worked for several of my friends, unfortunately they struggle like us and fall back into old habits.
Old 03-04-2019, 03:42 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  

MNB- just follow your feelings and go slow.

WEIGHT! My bane, my nemesis.
My doc changed my anti-d, which tricks the brain into thinking it needs food. Also the HALTS anacronym, that if feeling stressed- am I Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired/thirsty or Sad/stressed...fix it or get help to fix it.

I find eating does relieve stress, so a tricky comfort food- because changes in meds cause stress as well.

Pre burns I was nearly 130kg.
At my worst post burns- because of drinking and self neglect- I went to 74kg.

Now I am 100. Not ideal and going to look at this with my new psycho lady. It is in some ways not all about the weight, but the mindset. I suppose this is why a lot of people- after a strong resolve and support do lose weight, but down the track regain that weight.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:45 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

I did quite well on keto for the 4 or 5 months I was on it. But i fell back into old ways and quickly gained everything back. It's hard when your diet is complete different from the rest of the family. I shoud probably start looking at making small changes.

But heck, I'm sober now, that's gotta count for something, pass the ice cream.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:49 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Morning Weekenders.

MNB, I’ve been married for around 12 years but from my dating days I clearly recall having “flat nights” from time to time, for no apparent reason.

Sao, I hope you can get the hernia sorted out soon. I seem to remember you got a letter with an appointment date, but wasn’t sure whether that would be for the surgery to be performed.

All the best to those trying to achieve their ideal body weight. I was lucky in that quitting drinking alone worked for me.

I’m a bit sceptical about the BMI as an indicator. I once punched Roger Federer’s height and weight into the formula and he was right at the upper end of the ideal range.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:52 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

G'night Cap'n
Old 03-04-2019, 08:53 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Weekenders.

Midnight, maybe have another ‘date’ see how it goes. I agree with MLD, maybe just having an off day

Talking about our weight, I’m in a rut with mine! No excuses really, though for the last 5 years I’ve been on steroids (prescribed) on and off and have piled on the weight. I was never a sweet tooth but now I love chocolate and cakes, the worst for gaining weight! So frustrating ,
Old 03-05-2019, 03:38 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  
Mr

Howdy folks.
Popping in to say hello.
Back to work today so less time for recreation
Old 03-05-2019, 03:44 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

anudder day @ work. Scruffy Puppy goes to the vet's this evening.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:53 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good luck Scruffy Puppy, I hope it's just something routine..
Old 03-05-2019, 10:37 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Home Sweet Home...

We rolled in Sunday from our latest Desert Outing. Chilly temps for much of the Trip in The Great Southwest, but so it goes this Winter. Back here, it's what we call *Mud Season*. Snow. Melting Snow. Some Rain. Some nighttime freezing. Lotsa muck to slog through here in Rural Land.

Mebbe my most prized find this Trip was while out Boondocking solo with the Pooch before MesaMate flew down. I was in this area that, ~25 Million Years ago, was all Volcanoes and Swamps. As I poured some Dish Water on a deserving Shrub, this piece of Lava was right at my Feet. Voila: a >25 Million Year-old piece of Earth with some Pebbles embedded. Made my Day! It's lighter than Granite, but heavier than Wood.

MesaDog managed to get a Cactus bit stuck in his Nose, and that was a trial to remove. Some new-growth Cactus Nodules just about jump off at you; they're that easy to brush by and stick. About the size of a large Olive, but with wicked Spines out all sides. Just another Day in The Wild where recent Rain has everything blooming.

All were had by a good time. The luxurious treat this Morning was to wake up Sober, and sans an Alarm Clock. All Hail Retirement!