Notices

Class of March 2019 Part One

Old 03-21-2019, 08:14 AM
  # 441 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Good Morning All......I had a good nights sleep, up and having coffee with my furry friends and going to get a few things done before heading to work....Loving my job and being sober. Hoping all who are in your first few days take it easy and keep it simple, if the only thing you do today is not drink, that’s a good day.
Hope everyone has a good day
Old 03-21-2019, 09:00 AM
  # 442 (permalink)  

I did get the bottle out of my car and left it in the kitchen. SO HAPPY I didn't hide it for later or open it just to have "one glass".
It helped TREMENDOUSLY to post about it, face my temptation and say NO!
I WON!!
I also stayed up until 3 am, reading posts here.
Super happy. Thanks for the support.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:11 AM
  # 443 (permalink)  

Wheekie, staying sober will ABSOLUTELY help your anxiety.
I used to get so nervous going into a grocery store....I would drive around and around the parking lot and end up just going home because panic was setting in.
After a month of sobriety, I went into the store at 5pm (the busiest time!) and didn't even think twice about it. It was a major milestone for me.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:55 AM
  # 444 (permalink)  

Day 9 for me. Been feeling generally unwell since last night. Nothing serious. Just headache, some chills and slight nausea. Not sure if it’s still some lingering withdrawal effects or maybe I am coming down with something. Trying to take it easy and rest and drink lots of fluid while I can but it isn’t easy with lots to do. Still feel better then when I’m drinking so that’s a bonus. Anyone else have lingering physical side effects at 8-9 days?
Old 03-21-2019, 02:17 PM
  # 445 (permalink)  

Made it through day 8, still ate junk tonight but im sober and right now thats my goal. Looking forwad to another sober weekend. Made plans to keep my busy.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:34 PM
  # 446 (permalink)  

NicLin ... Divorce is hard, I haven't been there but must be close to it.

Originally Posted by Tetrax View Post
Day 1.
Me too!

Finalround ... thanks for your encouraging words

Originally Posted by Zevin View Post
Hi everyone! Another sober day for me.
Went to a meeting (not AA) with about 8 other people and 15 bottles of wine. Situations like that don't tempt me because I stopped drinking (as far as anyone knew) 5 years ago.
It's interesting to be the sober one in social situations, isn't it?
The non-stop repeating themselves, extra loud laughter....annoying.
Now.....I took a bottle of wine with me but they had so much there that the hostess insisted I bring it home.
It's just sitting in my car.
It would be very easy to drink the entire bottle tonight, after the Spouse goes to bed.
That's exactly how I am, I drink alone.

Thanks for your support everyone. Just caught up with all the posts. Something has changed for me, I don't drink during the day but late at night the past week I have been drinking and watching movies till 2am.
Last night I went out with the boys, didn't drink, I was driving. I was given a present by one, a breathalyzer. After dinner we blew into in and I was zero, everyone else was 0.02-0.05.
This morning I blew into it and I was over 0.05 ... Late night a few red reds and Steve McQueen movie. Throwing the rest of the red out now.
Day 1 for me today and I'm going to ring my psychologist today, as Dee suggests.
Today I feel a lot better and more in a good place than I have for the last few days.
I was going to say wish me luck but I know, luck has nothing to with it, it's hard work.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:40 PM
  # 447 (permalink)  

hello all, checking in on day .... 18 (??) , something like that anyway. Life has gotten very busy, and im feeling very run down. Thats been a big trigger in the past, but i feel securely sober right now despite being in a **** mood. I have been smoking cigs again to "help" with the stress and occasional panic, which im not super happy about ... but right now i need to pick my battles i guess. been burning the candle on both ends but heading for an early sleep tonight.
Wishing you all the very best.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:44 PM
  # 448 (permalink)  

MG, you are rockin it! Hard to have a bad day with a start like yours. Very happy for you.

Zevin, hiding the bottle in the car was a big red flag. Glad you came clean. Remember too, you would only have been fooling yourself. You don't need to be sober for us. Glad you posted first. Good for you.

YES, alcohol makes anxiety 1000 times worse. Take it from someone who's had several trips to the er in the rescue from anxiety attacks. Quitting doesn't cure anxiety but it will be more manageable.

LoveDD, congrats on 9 days. I would always get flu like symptoms about a week after quitting. It's farely common. Not sure about your specific symptoms but if in doubt, check with the doc. Alcohol is a poison to our bodies and gets absorbed into every organ. It takes some time for our bodies to purge it but longer for our brains and nervous system to normalize. It gets better.

Another solid performance Tink. What are some of your favorite junk snacks? I loved a toasted PB & J and a glass of milk just before bed. Mm mm. Now I'm craving one.

How can we be of more help to you jamesSquire? You are here and wanting. Maybe just need to find that big motivation to get you committed. Have you tried writing down your pros and cons of drinking? Not sure what I can say to you to help. Either way, stick around. Maybe something will click.

Getting exhausted can be a big time cause for relapse ForMyBoy. I often do the same and get involved in too many things at once. Just try to make some time for yourself to just relax and unwind. Remember Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired.

RAL, how bout a check in my friend? Not feeling safe without your Tiger avatar.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:47 PM
  # 449 (permalink)  

Hello friends,

checking in with everyone after a challenging week.
i had a few good weeks filled with discipline, new routines, and all the other tools....but recently I’m getting the blues about this struggle. I shared this at AA and others related and says it’s normal to have these peaks and valleys....
trying to be mindful to keep that pesky beast off
my shoulder....
Old 03-21-2019, 09:35 PM
  # 450 (permalink)  

Day 10

Killing it at work. Sunshine. Dinner with a buddy again.

Its crazy how we can be so blessed and still want to poison ourselves.

Why do I always choose darkness when there is light all around?

Its a disease, that's why.

You know when I feel good, I get worried. Isn't that silly?
Old 03-21-2019, 11:34 PM
  # 451 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Finalround;7148948]MG, you are rockin it! Hard to have a bad day with a start like yours. Very happy for you.

Another solid performance Tink. What are some of your favorite junk snacks? I loved a toasted PB & J and a glass of milk just before bed. Mm mm. Now I'm craving one.

yeah i been having toast and jam and loads of sweet tea, peanut m & m's are a favorite too. But been eating chocolate spread from the jar too !!!! Normally i would beat myself up for eating so much calories/sugar/fat but right now im just happy to be sober, so going to be kind to myself and cut myself some slack, as sure the eating will settle in time.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:07 AM
  # 452 (permalink)  

Thanks Final for asking after me.
I've not been checking in as mortified and stupid and had a drink with my sister. I have no excuses. There was no pressure from her. I just had visions of having a glass of wine together and relaxing and having a laugh. I made a conscious decision to pick up. no excuses.

So I've got through my other sister;s death, her funeral, an All inc holiday without drinking then I pick up one wet Thursday evening at home.

Did I enjoy it - yes. Did I know what I was doing - yes. Did I make a fool of myself or do anything bad? No. Do I think I can drink normally -NO. I know I m not a normal drinker. It's like the beast has been let out of the cage. Got the taste for it now.

The nights I drink normally are the most dangerous as they show me I can drink normally. Until I can't. Normal people don't wake up thinking ok what time can I buy wine today, what time is an ok time to start drinking it, no work today or tomorrow so that's not a problem. All the thoughts and habits that had gone are now back with a vengeance.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:04 AM
  # 453 (permalink)  

RAL, glad you got back here. And no one knows better than you that it's a journey band there may be some falls. Hope you can brush it off and get back even more encouraged not to fall again.

I have been doing a lot of analysis of how I made the conscious decision to drink last week. I will not fall for so called I know what I am doing. Because if I knew any better, I cannot drink. No more of just this time etc.

We all know we feel much better sober so WHY drink!
Old 03-22-2019, 04:43 AM
  # 454 (permalink)  

The worst thing that can happen to a gambling addict is a win.

H379, you are right about the hypocrisy we speak to ourselves. RAL, I understand you made the choice to drink but did you think to yourself, "This time will be different."? My recent relapse started the same way. I chose that first drink. I also chose the next hundred in 8 days.

I had to make drinking an absolute NO from that point. No more games for me. No blurring the lines or sugar coating my reasons for not drinking to those around me. No more excuses. I don't drink. It's the only future for me. It has to be.

I'm glad you came back here and shared honestly. I hope you find your way, whatever that may be.

Least (member) always says, "you have to want to be sober more than you want to drink". It's just that simple. Not easy to do. But it all comes down to that.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:43 AM
  # 455 (permalink)  

Good morning all! I’m excited for day 3. It’s been a while since I’ve gone more than a day. It’s Aries season and my birthday week festivities start tonight. Family is taking me to my fav local Mexican. Already told kids no drinks and tequila shots for me. They’re on board. It will be nice.
I hope everyone had a happy and peaceful Friday .
Old 03-22-2019, 05:15 AM
  # 456 (permalink)  

Good morning all! Day 10 here! Feeling better this morning Think it was a combination of things one of which is two little ones with constant runny noses. Feeling very positive this morning but certainly still having thoughts of a relaxing glass of wine creeping into my head but staying strong, hydrated and busy.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:28 AM
  # 457 (permalink)  

Thanks H and Final. I don't know tbh. Well no I didn't think it would be different. I knew it wouldn't be. I know it wont. but it didn't matter. Sorry just all over the place today
Old 03-22-2019, 05:41 AM
  # 458 (permalink)  

Day 6. Anxiety slowly creeping in on me this morning again. Wish I felt more useful. I want to beg off work again and feel so ashamed of that.

Been crying and praying and resting and hoping I can eventually be more functional. Part of me doesn't even want to try. Just feel like giving up.

Just feel like the simplest things take a Herculean effort.

I know I'm just feeling sorry for myself and you probably have all been through this. My emotions feel so raw. I don't think I can stand feeling this much all the time. Little things...can't listen to music cuz I get all nostalgic. Replaying all the **** I've done wrong and wish I could change...knowing that thinking about it won't help matters at all. That I have to move on and forward.

I feel so alone.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:38 AM
  # 459 (permalink)  

Was doing fine today then just popped into mams to drop my child off as they watch him on a friday night and she had a really off attitude with me, its really upset me !! But im not going to drink, making tea, got pj's on, will watch tv and eat chocolate and look forward to day 10 tomorrow. But its so rubbish how other people can make you feel
Old 03-22-2019, 10:58 AM
  # 460 (permalink)  

sorry to hear that tinker. i just tell myself we can't control what others say and do but we can control how we react to them. We don't have to drink over it.