Notices

How long can this go on for?

Old 02-27-2019, 03:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 59 of recovery

Thank you SR family, without your all support I would not have been able to be sober this long.

I have been catching myself lost. I am forgetting stuff, confused, inattentive, can't line up my thoughts together and not able to find the right words.

I had been through this for few days I think in the 3rd week of my sobriety, but since then all has been very good untill these last couple of days. Today being the worst. Today I was in some awkward situations during meetings with some very senior leadership. Managed through them but.

Is this common to have brain fog come and go?

Old 02-27-2019, 03:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great job on 59 days!

For me, a lot of symptoms were off and on and took awhile to fade or resolve. I was very sick when I quit so for me, the first significant shift I noticed in multiple ways was around 100 days. My first year and even into my second saw the smoothing, easing and healing of my body along with everything else.

Everyone's experience is different- brain fog, distraction, forgetfulness, all that stuff is something a lot of us go thru.

There are two things I always suggest - the book Living Sober is an easy read about the first year of sobriety. It might resonate with you like it does a lot of us. Also, this thread might be useful - www.digital-dharma.net - tab PAWS. PAWS is a syndrome- not a diagnosis, and whether people "believe in it" or not (you will see discussion of this topic around here sometimes), I found this particular article a great overview of what the first 6 mo, year, etc of sobriety can be like for some of us.

Apart from the physical healing, self care, meds, etc that have helped me - I had to start an actual recovery program. I hope you are using one, whether AA like me, or any other that is a plan of action to support you thru whatever will happen in your sober life.

The only certain things for any of us are that drinking will only make things bad (again) and seeing a dr is never a bad idea!!
Old 02-27-2019, 03:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I started feeling more normal between 3 and 6 months sober.
Old 02-27-2019, 04:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi H379

Congratulations on your 59 days!

I have been catching myself lost. I am forgetting stuff, confused, inattentive, can't line up my thoughts together and not able to find the right words.
I am at two months and feeling the same. Yesterday I found myself just staring out to open space, empty in thoughts and then I sort of semi woke up. Crazy!

At least what we are going through is normal.

I am also hoping it does not last long. Don't give up though, wait it out, it will pass, we have to believe the seasoned posters here!

I had a crazy thought to start drinking more water to wash the toxins out that might of settled in my body. Couldn't hurt.
Old 02-27-2019, 05:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Great job on 59 days!

For me, a lot of symptoms were off and on and took awhile to fade or resolve. I was very sick when I quit so for me, the first significant shift I noticed in multiple ways was around 100 days. My first year and even into my second saw the smoothing, easing and healing of my body along with everything else.

Everyone's experience is different- brain fog, distraction, forgetfulness, all that stuff is something a lot of us go thru.

There are two things I always suggest - the book Living Sober is an easy read about the first year of sobriety. It might resonate with you like it does a lot of us. Also, this thread might be useful - www.digital-dharma.net - tab PAWS. PAWS is a syndrome- not a diagnosis, and whether people "believe in it" or not (you will see discussion of this topic around here sometimes), I found this particular article a great overview of what the first 6 mo, year, etc of sobriety can be like for some of us.

Apart from the physical healing, self care, meds, etc that have helped me - I had to start an actual recovery program. I hope you are using one, whether AA like me, or any other that is a plan of action to support you thru whatever will happen in your sober life.

The only certain things for any of us are that drinking will only make things bad (again) and seeing a dr is never a bad idea!!
Thanks for the kind advice. I will order the book, in the meantime fo through the website suggested.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Great job on 59 days!

Thanks for the suggestion of that book 😃 I'm going to download it now 🙏💖
Old 02-28-2019, 03:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

H,

What I tell myself when I feel a bit out of it is I have brain damage from drinking.

Brain fog equals brain damage. With each relapse it gets worse and worse and lasts long and longer.

Eventually, the crazy just stays. Wet brain or physcosis. Whatever.

I can never drink again or risk going back into that hell on earth.

I don't feel like I am missing out. I don't miss acting like a drunk. I don't miss being dope sick from too much booze or needing more.

I miss getting high, but now that my natural endorphins have somewhat normalized, I get high on other things. E.g. spending time w family, working out, seeing a show, eating out, doing projects...letc etc etc.

All those missing out feelings are really just physical/mental addiction and norm training. I am no longer physically addicted and I have made myself a new norm.

Mentally, I expect to crave for the rest of my life. I call it growing up.

It is the correct way for me to be.

Thank God.

Thanks.
Old 02-28-2019, 03:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Glad y'all will take a look at the book - it's always the first I recommend!