Notices

Happy Wednesday! Checking In..

Old 02-27-2019, 08:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Happy Wednesday! Checking In..

Hey guys,
Thought I’d check in with everyone and see how they’re doing? Life has been a little rocky lately with things popping up here and there but I rely on the program of AA and this site to keep me sober. I think I’m coming down from a pink cloud after receiving a 2 year chip a few weeks ago. It’s ok though..it’s a daily reprieve. I still deal with daily itching and have come to the conclusion that there is some kind of pest in our place. I’ve tried really hard to get rid of it but to no avail. I’ve been to a dermatologist and taken ivermectin (used to treat scabies) and have had numerous tests done to see if there is a medical problem and nothing has come of that. I suppose I should be grateful about that! Anyway, I’m having some fear that this is never going to go away and some resentment toward my homeless friend who I think gave me a pest that I can’t get rid of. I have to remember that “This Too Shall Pass”. It’s hard though. I’m on a support group for invisible itching. I thought about if it’s in my head but my girlfriend and I went away for the weekend and felt little to no itching so I know it’s a pest that is harassing me. I have to stay vigilent.
My brakes are going on my truck so I have to get those repaired. Not a huge deal and I did have an epiphany. If that had happened a few years ago the thought of drinking the fear away would’ve immediately entered my head. I had no thought of going to get a bottle instead I came to the realization that I needed to work more hours to get the repair taken care of. Thank you HP and SR..this program works if you work it!
The above are all luxury problems compared to what my life was. Sometimes I just have to tell myself that it’s ok to take it easy and know that when I turned my will and my life over to my HP in Step 3 that my job is to stay sober and as long as I do that my HP will keep me on the right path.
Hope everyone has a great day!
Garrison
Old 02-27-2019, 03:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Garrison- glad you checked in and shared. Hope that whole itching problem gets resolved- how annoying to say the least. Of course, it's never just one thing either, right? Sometimes it def feels that way.

I just got my 3 yr chip last wk. My experience has been that each year has been diff and right now, I am in a very solid place myself, in my marriage, in little and big stuff....and I def couldn't have said that for a lot of this past fall and particularly the month of Dec. Family drama was the big culprit...and that's not over- but I am dealing w it So Much Better; I'm an AA person too and having a new sponsor as of the past 2 mo has been a huge part of that shift.

I also had a "low" of about 5 days of basically general and huge anxiety.Anxiety is an issue for me and I have meds, and this is one "period" I will def remember vividly. I share this bc I used some "different" tools than I have used in past valleys, in a way. With the premise being "what do I need to do to get thru this with as least struggle possible" or such, the first thing I did was tell my husband in detail what was going on the first morning it hit. From there, I gave myself so much slack during the week and I let him do a lot of the daily stuff. Instead of going out to a whole bunch more meetings this time, I felt safest at home and just went to two - I spent a lot of time here, I didn't nap because I knew that would be isolating, I ate ice cream for dinner and veggies for breakfast, I played Dots on my phone, I made lists of 5 people a day I could ask how THEY were doing....basically, I came up with "new" ideas or variations on ones I had been using to get thru it all.

Just sharing all that to say that life changes, sh*t happens to our cars and our friends and us and....we can handle it. Being a little creative has helped me - and something least always says is gratitude....right now, my husband and I are in a groove that started that week of my anxiety (so I guess around month now) where I was SO grateful to him for his tenderness with me that week that it prompted me to literally start putting him first. The first thing I say in the morning is some kind of thank you or observation of something great he is or did (and this is stuff like thank you for making the bed every single day or getting limes on the way home from work or...sometime it's big stuff ) and on and on, just some way of thinking of not-me first...and it's been like a rolling back and forth that has sustained us greatly - and somehow I was inspired to start it before what has been the largest professional challenge for him in his very public job of the last ten days....thank goodness!!

Hope some of that resonates or "helps" a little - you're a great sober friend to many here. Take care.

A
Old 02-27-2019, 04:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope you can find solutions for those annoyances man - have a good week

D