Notices

Support

Old 03-01-2019, 01:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Support

I don't want to come across as needy, but I could use some support today. I find it hard to reach out.....
Had a few struggles lately, mentally especially....
Sober for 1 month and 1 day
Clean for 2 months and 23 days
Quit smoking for 1 day and 23 mins

It's all going the right way, however I find my mind wandering to places I don't want to go, which distresses me, so I could do with the support, and encouragement.
🙏💖
Old 03-01-2019, 01:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Doris

Please know that you have all the support here.

Congratulations on how far you've come.

You are right in saying that you know it is all going the right way and I understand completely if you say
however I find my mind wandering to places I don't want to go, which distresses me,
It is part and parcel with recovery. It will happen. How you deal with it is important.

For me, it helped recognising the feeling and affirming it and then deciding what to do about it. Action - that is and was always the only thing that helped. Go outside for a walk, unpack your handbag and clean it out, brush your pet, floss your teeth .... anything. But get up and do something.

You will get through this. Take it as it comes, even minute by minute if you have to. You can do this.

Support to you XXXX
Old 03-01-2019, 01:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi doris
it's like I always say - the enausre of our recovery is not what we;re thinking, cos everyone has crazy thoughts for a while - it's our response to those thoughts that is the measure of our recovery.

You came here and ratted yourself out - that's a good thing and a great sign for the future

D
Old 03-01-2019, 01:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ayers View Post
Hi Doris

Please know that you have all the support here.

Congratulations on how far you've come.

You are right in saying that you know it is all going the right way and I understand completely if you say

It is part and parcel with recovery. It will happen. How you deal with it is important.

For me, it helped recognising the feeling and affirming it and then deciding what to do about it. Action - that is and was always the only thing that helped. Go outside for a walk, unpack your handbag and clean it out, brush your pet, floss your teeth .... anything. But get up and do something.

You will get through this. Take it as it comes, even minute by minute if you have to. You can do this.

Support to you XXXX
Thank you Ayers, I get embarrassed asking for help, it makes me feel weak and vulnerable. I've just rang a friend, we are going for some retail therapy with the money I've saved in a little pot. I'm sure it will be my son that benefits lol, but that's ok. He's put up with my crap,and never once complained. In fact just this morning he put his arms around my neck and gave me a squeeze. He didn't need words, his eyes said it all. We are extremely close. Which I'm so thankful for. 🙏💖
Old 03-01-2019, 01:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi doris
it's like I always say - the enausre of our recovery is not what we;re thinking, cos everyone has crazy thoughts for a while - it's our response to those thoughts that is the measure of our recovery.

You came here and ratted yourself out - that's a good thing and a great sign for the future

D
Thank you Dee, to be able to lean on this site when times are tough is priceless. I don't know what I'd do without you guys 🙏💖
Old 03-01-2019, 02:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Your doing just fine Doris, it is very much up and down in the beginning but eventually the good will outweigh the bad and it will be much better.
Don't give into the thoughts, try to be kind to yourself when your feeling vulnerable and do something just for yourself, your going in the right direction by reaching out to other people. There is nothing wrong with vulnerability it doesn't make you weak it makes you human, something I have had to learn myself.
Enjoy the retail therapy!
Old 03-01-2019, 05:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This site is great for support! You are doing so well. We all go through these tough times, and quitting smoking so recently is going to make things even tougher. But you can do it and it’s so worth it! Enjoy the retail therapy.
Old 03-01-2019, 06:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I’m sorry to hear you are struggling a little bit.

So happy to see your sober accomplishments, keep going!!

We had problems too with my thoughts—I tried some breathing exercises, natural supplements, and yoga. I find these things are helping my thoughts—passing along in case you might be interested in trying and seeing if they might help you too!!

We are all here for you!!
Old 03-01-2019, 07:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Each day sober you are building a better life for your son and yourself.

You have lots to be proud of Doris.

Enjoy your retail therapy, and I suggest you get something lovely just for you like some bath salts and a nice candle for soaking in the tub--you deserve it!
Old 03-01-2019, 08:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

hi Doris, you're doing good work in taking care of yourself and your sobriety.
and the wandering mind...it does that. you can purposely give it some other places to wander to, too, even just for a moment.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

speaker tapes are awesome! https://www.recoveryaudio.org/
they have a breakdown by category - try the FUNNY ones. Clancy is classic, Bob Earll ...
Old 03-01-2019, 10:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi doris

D
I have crazy thoughts. If I acted on them, someone would probably want to institutionalize me at worst, or just avoid me at best, and I wouldn't blame them. But here's the thing; We don't have to act on these thoughts. There is a gulf of difference between thinking and acting.

While our thoughts might get away from us from time to time, we can control how we can act, and that's what is important. And if our actions don't provide us happiness, we can change our behavior. I tend to laugh at my crazy thoughts. They might strike people as strange, but they are harmless.

Years ago, I went through counseling, which was hugely productive for me personally. I used to discuss my crazy thoughts with my counselor, because sometimes they lead to insights. She never once was she shocked, and she never passed judgement, so I'm guessing my crazy thoughts weren't worse than anyone else's.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Walk on

I really hope you are ok, look at all the ways your life and personal relationships have improved. It can only get easier and better with time.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Doris, I think you are doing fine. I look forward to your posts, and I have a confidence that you are going to do well in sobriety. I don't get that feeling with everyone. I know it's a bit of a struggle at first, but that is something each of us goes through. We are here to support you, and hope that helps, but you and everyone else in the forum realizes you are the one doing the work. However, we still get a vicarious satisfaction every time you score another touchdown. (I guess they call them goals on your side of the pond).
Old 03-01-2019, 11:25 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It’s one of the reasons I come on here, to see how you are doing.
Like dri guy says, you’re doing fine.
I think you have it in you to go the distance.
I remember quitting tobacco. I was 29, let’s say my drinking stepped up a gear when I quit.

You’ll be glad to be free of it when you’ve levelled out.
You’ll only need to work 1 day a week at this rate.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:32 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Lots of support here.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:39 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
Doris, I think you are doing fine. I look forward to your posts, and I have a confidence that you are going to do well in sobriety. I don't get that feeling with everyone. I know it's a bit of a struggle at first, but that is something each of us goes through. We are here to support you, and hope that helps, but you and everyone else in the forum realizes you are the one doing the work. However, we still get a vicarious satisfaction every time you score another touchdown. (I guess they call them goals on your side of the pond).
Thank you that means a lot driguy 😃🙏💖
Old 03-01-2019, 11:46 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Snowydelrico View Post
It’s one of the reasons I come on here, to see how you are doing.
Like dri guy says, you’re doing fine.
I think you have it in you to go the distance.
I remember quitting tobacco. I was 29, let’s say my drinking stepped up a gear when I quit.

You’ll be glad to be free of it when you’ve levelled out.
You’ll only need to work 1 day a week at this rate.
Snowy your a diamond mate, thank you😃, I'm ok. I have a slight impulsive side to me ( who'd of guessed lol )so I went out today as you do, and decided in a split second I didn't like my front room anymore, I now have paint, lampshades ,rugs ,t.v stand, cushions, clock, cushions. 😂😂 I'm now looking at everything lol, oh my days I shouldn't be aloud out unsupervised lol, did the same thing last week decided to have my hair cut off and went brunette 😝 just another day in my crazy life 😂
Well at least it will keep me occupied.
As always much love to you an your family
🙏💖
Old 03-01-2019, 12:01 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Doris47 View Post
Snowy your a diamond mate, thank you😃, I'm ok. I have a slight impulsive side to me ( who'd of guessed lol )so I went out today as you do, and decided in a split second I didn't like my front room anymore, I now have paint, lampshades ,rugs ,t.v stand, cushions, clock, cushions. 😂😂 I'm now looking at everything lol, oh my days I shouldn't be aloud out unsupervised lol, did the same thing last week decided to have my hair cut off and went brunette 😝 just another day in my crazy life 😂
Well at least it will keep me occupied.
As always much love to you an your family
🙏💖
Haha that;s just the sort of thing I would do with a refurb!! hope you are feeling better and get through tonight ok.
Old 03-01-2019, 12:17 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
Haha that;s just the sort of thing I would do with a refurb!! hope you are feeling better and get through tonight ok.

Heyyyy readyatlast, yeah I'm ok again now, I'm actually drinking a bottle of water 🙌🙌, I'm up and down at the moment, but I'm winning 😃. Hope your ok aswell.
🙏💖