Cravings - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information >
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2019, 04:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Cravings

After various stop and starts with a max of 10 days at a time I am now on day 16.

I was just wonderin when the mental side of things calm down a bit.

I know it will be a long term thing but I want my cravings and head to calm down even just a bit.

Happy sober to you all.
Beav19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beav19 For This Useful Post:
columbus (02-27-2019), Tonymblue (02-28-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 05:21 AM   #2 (permalink)

I remember asking that same question in the first couple weeks.

It will take a while longer. I guess it takes as long as it takes, but it is worth it. Just make it through today! It will get better.

I felt a lot better at about a month, but I wasn't "well" until several months in. I had a sticky note that said, "Do only that which is good for you." I ate well, exercised, slept as much as I could. I was in recovery from a life-threatening illness and I did everything I could think of to get well.

A drink will never be the solution for me ever again so I had to find other ways to slow my thinking. Meditation, prayer, exercise, belly breathing, quiet instrumental classical music.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to biminiblue For This Useful Post:
Doris47 (02-27-2019), least (02-27-2019), MantaLady (02-28-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 05:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks so much.

I too have an emergency notice. Just need to take it day by day.

As long as I know it will eventually ease off a bit that's the reasurence that I need.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beav19 For This Useful Post:
biminiblue (02-27-2019), Doris47 (02-27-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 10:03 AM   #4 (permalink)

Hey there,
One thing that i've found that cravings get progressively less and less over time. I think how that progresses is different for everyone. One thing that helped me is calling another alcoholic or reciting the serenity prayer. Go out and help someone and you find grace in that.
Good luck!
Garrison
Doris47 (02-27-2019), Ghostlight1 (02-27-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 03:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
bona fido dog-lover

The best thing I did to eliminate cravings was to start practicing gratitude every day.

Dogs may not be our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.

Don't wait for the Last Judgement. It takes place every day. -Albert Camus

Find the good and praise it. - Alex Haley

least is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 05:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Hi Beav

my first 30 days were pretty hard, then 30-60 was easier, then 60-90 easier still...after 90 things seemed to settle down a lot.

That may seem a long way away right now but it's really not - you'll get there.

What kind of things do you do when the cravings hit now?

D
Old 02-27-2019, 07:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Blue Belt

Beav,

At first the cravings were hell on earth.

Constant unless I was actively engaged in something (watching a movie, going down a water slide, wrestling with my friends).

Now they come around here and there. Mostly around noon to 6 pm. Sometimes they are in the morning because I used to work night shift and drank in the day sometimes.

I had/have a laundry list of things that remind me not to drink. Some of them are in my signature.

The crave is emotional. I defeat it with analysis.

I have always leaned towards analysis so I think that has helped me get this far.

Thanks.

When I crave I think of the next day after effects:

high blood pressure, sleep issues, strength loss, immune system compromise (sick).

BpSSS. My mantra.

Studied "alcohol kindling" and "alcohol PAWS."

Last intoxication: 8 May 15.
D122y is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D122y For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (02-28-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 08:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

I got cravings really bad the first week or so. They were so intense, I can't even really describe it. It was like if I don't get a case of beer right now and slam every single one of them down in rapid succession, I will literally die. That sounds silly and like hyperbole, but it's not. I was very angry because of this as well.

I'm at 56 days and now I get a craving about once a week, it seems, but it's no way near as intense, but it's still very annoying. Eating until I'm stuffed usually makes it go away or almost go away. Only thing that has worked for me. I assume this eventually goes completely away, but I can't say for sure because I've never quit drinking before after I started my heavy drinking.
TheWayBack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheWayBack For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (02-28-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 02:36 AM   #9 (permalink)

Congratulations on 16 days.

I found that it took about a month for those really powerful gut wrenching cravings to go. Making sure I had no alcohol in the house was really important, but I swear driving home it was as if my car wanted to drive itself to call into the liquor store and I had to be really intentional not to. Coming here when a craving hit was a HUGE help, even if I didnít post, just reading here and looking over my initial messages helped a lot.

As time went on the gaps between cravings got longer, but they could still be strong when they hit so having a plan to deal with them, literally a check list seemed to help.

It does get easier I promise.
scottynz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scottynz For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (02-28-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 05:05 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beav19 View Post
After various stop and starts with a max of 10 days at a time I am now on day 16.

I was just wonderin when the mental side of things calm down a bit.

I know it will be a long term thing but I want my cravings and head to calm down even just a bit.
CRAVINGS! This is the problem in early recovery that no alcoholic escapes. For all the medical explanations of alcoholism, suggestions from doctors, and 12 steps required to recover, cravings are what we deal with in early recovery. It's the focal point of life in early recovery. For me nothing else seemed to matter or help. While positive effects of not drinking (no hangovers, not acting like a stupid slob, etc) are readily apparent. All the good takes a back seat as we wrestle with the urge to take a drink.

The diminishing of cravings and their eventual absence is what we call recovery. At 16 days, this is what you deal with. I think my cravings peaked a bit earlier than that. Yours will diminish too. I would think fairly soon, but it's different for everyone. At some time in the future, after your cravings are gone, you will face the next big challenge in recovery, which is "NOT HAVING CRAVINGS" followed by the confidence that you can now have a drink. Watch out for that one, it's been the death of many alcoholics in recovery.

So here's a simple rule on how to deal with cravings... DON'T DRINK. OK, it's harder than it sounds, but it's imperative. Every time you drink because you crave, you damage your progress in recovery. Every time you DON'T drink because you crave, your recovery gets stronger, makes you stronger, more confident, and eventually less obsessed with annoying cravings.

Prior to recovery you were never bothered by cravings, because you simply gave into them. You were reinforcing your problem by solving the problem continually the way an addict would solve it. Now the solution is solving the immediate problem by not reinforcing it. This is recovery.

Hang in there.
DriGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DriGuy For This Useful Post:
Abraham (06-12-2019), Dee74 (02-28-2019), Doris47 (02-28-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 06:05 AM   #11 (permalink)

Thanks so much for all the feedback guys.

I will do as you said. I also Have a emergency list on my phone that I read and read to remind me of how bad it got and how much worse it can get.

Day 17!

A day at a time
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Beav19 For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (02-28-2019), Doris47 (02-28-2019), scottynz (03-03-2019)