Notices

Need Support- 7 months sober & depressed

Old 02-25-2019, 08:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need Support- 7 months sober & depressed

I have been so blessed to have the past 7 months sober and feeling the best I have in a couple years.... and then I went on this stupid diet no carbs and no sugar and my serotonin crashed, now I'm so low, so sad, so want to drink... I started back up on my antidepressant, its been 2 weeks, thought it would kick in by now. I just don't want to be in this dark place again... don't want to drink. I am trying my best to power through and hoping it gets better.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you are feeling low right now. Hang in there it will get better.

Think back to how when you drank it was never what you needed or wanted and destroys things fast.

Its also only temporary and makes mental health way worse the next morning.

It will get better if you don't drink. If you drink you will make everything worse.

Keep doing the positive things that you took action on. Great job. Can you go for a walk and stay close keep posting on here.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I totally get how food can alter moods so much. Maybe a crash eating change doesn't suit you at this point. Think balance is really important . I hope your Meds kick in soon and balanced eating helps too.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Don't antidepressants take up to 6 weeks before they kick in properly? I was on them once, a long time ago, and for the first two or three weeks I remember my anxiety was worse than normal and I felt very down.

As for food, unfortunately I'm probably the world's worst expert! I'm diabetic (type 2) so try to watch what I'm eating but personally I've never been a fan of no carb, no sugar diets. A little bit of everything in proportion (carbs, sugar, protein etc) seems to work best for me.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you're feeling so down. I know how it feels to be afraid of going back to that dark place again.

As others have said, it may take more than 2 weeks to feel the effects of the antidepressant. Sometimes it's tricky to get the right antidepressant and right dosage, but try to not be discouraged. And, yes, it's possible the major diet change affected you badly. Hopefully you are getting back to your more regular diet now.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your kind responses. It means the world, it is helping me a lot today. And I will stay close to this site. All of your words I will take to heart. What you said is right Hopeful, If I drink it will only make my mental state worse, and the shame that comes with it, I've worked too hard to get this far... We are going on vacation, and I think I could drink there and feel good, but that is not the answer! Instead, I will have dessert, and work on a balanced diet like you all suggested, who knew that food could have such an effect on your mood. Lesson learned, I will also give the anti-depressants time, just hearing you confirm that it takes time for them to kick in has me hopeful. Thank you. thank you.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Meh. Eat the doughnut.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good job SurvivorK.
I know its challenging when it feels not great, but it will pass, and you will emerge feeling great again.

Some things that help me are prayer, listening to Hillsong and other Christian music, going for a walk if I'm up for it. Hot baths, tea, and knowing that its going to be ok. And it will be. You also won't have to start from the beginning or go through the terrible mental anguish added from alcohol.
Good job you proactively did all of the right things.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SurvivorK View Post
I have been so blessed to have the past 7 months sober and feeling the best I have in a couple years.... and then I went on this stupid diet no carbs and no sugar and my serotonin crashed, now I'm so low, so sad, so want to drink... I started back up on my antidepressant, its been 2 weeks, thought it would kick in by now. I just don't want to be in this dark place again... don't want to drink. I am trying my best to power through and hoping it gets better.
Disclaimer: I am not a doctor or a dietician.

However, from personal experience, if it were me -- this would sound like "keto flu." As the body adjusts to having no carbohydrates, a crash is not only uncommon, but even expected as the system adjusts to having no simple carbs/sugars for energy and adapts to using ketones (from fat) for energy.

Personally, low-carb dieting and intermittent fasting is something I've been doing for some time -- but it is definitely not for everyone. And it takes some adaptation before you get all the benefits.

Particularly if you're dealing with depression, for people with disordered eating -- or if you find the feelings to be a trigger -- you may want to try easing into it more.

Whole30, for instance, is a great way to reinvent your relationship with food and cooking -- but you can still have starchy vegetables and lots of fruit and berries! You may find that to be more manageable.

Good luck and glad you didn't decide to drink!!!
Old 02-25-2019, 02:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SurvivorK View Post
Glad you're here with us, SurvivorK.

I'm going on a vacation in a couple of weeks and drinking never crosses my mind when I go there (Key West), perhaps because I go to a lot of meetings while I'm down there.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you feel so low SurvivorK..

Got to admit I always wince a little when newly sober people go on demanding diets.

I get it - we want a clean sheet to start over on - but I know that my brain chemistry is very much related to what I eat or don't eat, and I also know that newly sober I was liable to interpret cravings - any cravings - as alcoholic cravings.

Its a tough call.
I hope the anti -ds start to work soon

D