Notices

OT - A Star is Born

Old 02-26-2019, 10:01 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
I so hope this topic will die soon now that the Oscars are over.

I can't (choose to) help myself from commenting when it does. I loathed this movie. In short, I felt dead inside thru and after it - succinctly, because he never actually decided to try sobriety. He paid the ultimate price and the whole story (this version, I have not seen the previous) was just unpalatable to me. Maybe because it could have been me or anyone of us - and it doesn't have to be.
Not all people try to get sober and, many times, that is the result. Just as many stories end poorly as they end well. Unfortunately there are 1,000's of people just like him and there story ends in a similar way.

I do agree that it didn't have to end that way, but that is the point of the story
Old 02-26-2019, 10:31 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Thanks for an interesting thread, WhoDey. I haven't watched it yet - but I kind of dread it because I have a very bad feeling.

Hard to believe this is the 4th remake of the movie & I never saw one of them.
('37, '54, '76 & current)
Old 02-26-2019, 12:32 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Thanks for an interesting thread, WhoDey. I haven't watched it yet - but I kind of dread it because I have a very bad feeling.

Hard to believe this is the 4th remake of the movie & I never saw one of them.
('37, '54, '76 & current)
Ohhhhhh just watch it

Yeah, I may scope out some of the remakes, but I'm not a fan of older movies, unless they're classic horror, of course.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:52 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I remember another movie about a rundown alcoholic country singer titled "Tender Mercies". It was a small indie movie that didn't get a lot of press; however, Robert Duvall won the best actor Academy Award for his role. The movie is a wonderful story of love and redemption.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:44 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
When I was in my late teens, a friend invited me to go see Days of Wine and Roses at the theater. I had not started drinking at that point in my life. I had no idea what the movie was about, but anticipated a love story. I was horrified and stunned.
That's a real common reaction to that film. And the reason they show a segment of it to addicts in treatment at a large rehab facility nearby, followed by a very frank lecture about the odds of successful recovery. It was not a pleasant night at the movies, that's for sure!
Old 02-27-2019, 05:25 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alaskachick View Post
I remember another movie about a rundown alcoholic country singer titled "Tender Mercies". It was a small indie movie that didn't get a lot of press; however, Robert Duvall won the best actor Academy Award for his role. The movie is a wonderful story of love and redemption.
I'll have to hunt that one down. I'm a big Duvall fan.

"A broken-down, middle-aged country singer gets a new wife, reaches out to his long-lost daughter, and tries to put his troubled life back together."

Got good reviews....and looks to be on Amazon Prime for $2. I'm all over it!
Old 02-27-2019, 01:47 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Recently watched Tender Mercies - didn't realize he won an oscar for it.
Days of W & R - kills me every time. Too close to home, but a great movie.