Notices

Re relapse

Old 02-25-2019, 06:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Re relapse

As some know I drank last week , I thought I knew what the consequences would be, I knew I'd get drunk I knew I'd drink following day. But a tiny part of me thought maybe I'd could drink maybe even half normally for a few days before it d get bad again I was wrong, very wrong within hours not only was I drinking alcoholically , I was behaving alcoholically and looked like a alcoholic to anyone that saw me , am and pm times went out the window , horrific is only word I can describe my relapse , thankfully I survived with a few bruises. All to show for it. If I thought for half a second it would v gone down the way it did I'd never have drank , no way , please be very careful, Iv learnt a very severe lesson Iv read back on all kind and helpful words , hoping now to catch this " thing " on the bounce get all this poison out of my system and get back to a normal healthy clean life. Thanks.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Kid50, I desperately don't want this to be the slippery slope back into alcoholism for you. Remember that YOU are one of those people who posted kind and helpful words to others. Posts like yours have kept me sober each day. Based on your history on this forum, you know better than to think you can drinking normally or half normally.

You will get that normal, clean life again, but it might be that you need to add something to your plan to make sure you stick to this?
Old 02-25-2019, 06:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ditto nerf...

Get a big plan to ride those urges.

SO glad your back on SR. stay close
Old 02-25-2019, 06:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sober up, Kid. You're better than this.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good to see you posting. Get back on the horse, we've all been there.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just like you, the desire to drink would be overwhelming for me and I thought to myself, I'll just have one. Then that crazy phenomenon called alcoholism would take over and I would move heaven and earth to keep pouring drinks down my throat.
This is a tough road but you can do it. You know the drill. Hunker down, put the withdrawals behind you and stay close to SR.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing this. Alcohol is cunning, baffling and powerful. If you/we are truly alcoholic we will never be able to drink safely or moderately no matter how long it has been since our last drink. I need to remind myself of this every single day.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Kid,

I've had two relapses on my journey, currently I'm closing in on two years of continuous sobriety.

Each time I had about three months of sobriety which was more than enough time for withdrawal to pass. For me the reason alcohol is so damn cunning is because I never really had cravings once I got used to having zero drinks. I would feel fine physically, not have any cravings and think to myself that there is no way I'm an alcoholic. Sure enough I would have "one drink" and it was off to the races again.

Even now there is part of me that is baffled by the idea that one drink would completely negate the positive changes that have occurred over the last several years. But I also know because of my relapses that once the beast is unleashed it gets harder and harder to lock it up again.

Learn from this experience and keep marching forward.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Kid

I'm really sorry you re relapsed but I'm really glad you came back here to talk about it. It sounds like you have learn't your lesson but maybe you need to have something in place in case you ever get the urge again? I appreciate you posting I find it very useful to read posts like these they are great for reaffirming sobriety.

Eat some good food and drink tons of water, you can get back on the wagon
Old 02-25-2019, 10:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I needed my relapse to be where I am today. I had 30 days AF thought I could have a couple. It ended up as a 7 day binge with coke in the mix. I missed work for a whole week my partner took me to my GP bruised and bloodied. He got me into 21 day inpatient rehab the next day . That was the best thing that could have happened to me. I learnt so much from that place about addiction, CBT, meditation etc. So that last relapse strange to say was the best thing for me. Today I know I can not drink. I have fully embraced a sober lifestyle. I had my drinking and drugging days, finished. This is the new chapter in my life and its good. Only new to recovery 109 days today. Longest I have ever been sober since my teens.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Glad you’re back.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you're struggling, Kid, but you're back here now and that's important. You can get back to your sobriety and you have learned a valuable lesson.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you made it back Kid

D