Notices

Should I take time off from work?

Old 02-24-2019, 08:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Should I take time off from work?

I'm day 6. My job is stressing the hell out of me. My boss is on my ass in no small part because I've been such an alcoholic **** up. Yesterday I read an email from her and started having a full on panic attack.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't have any experience with your situation, but I thought you should know that we are here for you and we support you. I'm sure people will reply with scads of good advice.

I can only throw two things out there - one: take care of yourself, because you know what's best for you. And if you think taking a bit of time off work will help your recovery, maybe that's what you should do if it's feasible.

And two: (which is slightly contradictory) For me, I used my alcoholism as an excuse to run from EVERYTHING. I was determined not to use my recovery for the same reason. Maybe do some deep thinking on what is really your best course of action, talk to good friends, pick some brains on here, and come up with a good plan to make the best of your situation.

Lots of luck and congrats on your sober time!
Old 02-24-2019, 08:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pressmetilihurt View Post
I'm day 6. My job is stressing the hell out of me. My boss is on my ass in no small part because I've been such an alcoholic **** up. Yesterday I read an email from her and started having a full on panic attack.
Sobriety can force you to examine a lot of things in your life you used to escape from. For me, that early in my recovery from daily drinking, long stretches at home were a trigger. I fully immersed myself into my work and fitness and that helped a lot. I stayed away from my apartment as much as possible, because that was where I used to throw away weekends with a bottle to the head.

Don’t let the anxiety push you down — don’t let your AV convince you that you can’t look these challenges in the face and take them head on. You can.

Depending on the relationship you have with your boss — maybe next time you see her have a 1:1 and tell her you are fully committed to work and that you’re ready to step up and be one of the best damn employees in the entire place.

Anyways, that’s my advice. If you do think you need time off for health reasons or rehab, definitely consider that, too — if it’s what you need to stay sober. And talk to a doctor about where you are in recovery if yo haven’t yet!

Keep on!
Old 02-24-2019, 08:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Originally Posted by Pressmetilihurt View Post
It's really only a question you can answer. Going through withdrawal at work isn't fantastic but I'm assuming not being at work will have some financial ramifications that you'll have to consider. Have a think about what's in your best interest .
Old 02-24-2019, 09:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had to take a little time off. It was too stressful and driving home was too easy to go to the store. I put myself on lockdown in the house. Maybe just take a couple days to get some more time in?
Old 02-24-2019, 09:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If your doctor will sign you off it might be a goid idea if you feel it will help. Do you have an hr department you could speak with perhaps if you feel your boss is being unfair? Or if it is a case of getting on with it proving your worth as a valuable sober employee would this be more beneficial. It's really hard to say and only a decision you can make. Wishing you the best.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What's the cost / damage ratio between the two choices?

Will taking time off cause more problems in your job in terms of you being reliable, etc. or will it be OK to do that?

In my case, I could not take time off as nobody could "fill in" and the work had to be done when it was needed, and could not be put off until later.

I was also concerned with damaging my reputation at work, and worried that time off might translate into relapse as work does provide a structure and incentive to stay sober and function.

So I toughed it out--yes, I also had panic attacks, physical illness, and incredible debilitating anxiety. But that got better as the days passed, and by the end of Week 2 I was glad I had decided to work through the detox instead of taking time off.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Do not speak to HR. They are never for you.

I called in sick two months before I started rehab, and it was two months of the heaviest drinking in my life. After rehab I realized that my job was making me sick for so many reasons, and left it. Now on another career entirely after a long time not working at all.

Whatever works for you, sobriety is #1. Possibly better in the long run to get time off from work rather than work through early sobriety. In California (and this may be nationwide) you can contact HR to say that you're taking time away for medical reasons, and forward them a note from your doctor mandating time off. By law they CANNOT ask you for the particulars, nor should you volunteer them. They also can't retaliate or they're setting themselves up for a monster lawsuit due to the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Whatever you think will work better for you and get you sober.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

My suggestion would be to not talk about your alcoholism at work. It cannot benefit you for colleagues/boss to know about your addiction.

You know best whether to take time off work. Keep in mind that things will likely be more stressful if you lose your job. On the other hand, maybe it's time for you to move on to a job that suits you better.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sorry when I mentioned speaking to hr I did not mean about your drinking. I agree I would never mention alcoholism at work. I meant if you felt your boss was bullying you or if your doc would sign you off with mental health issues not mentioning drinking.