Notices

At what cost?

Old 02-23-2019, 09:55 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Well done mantalady on 8months.
You could buy a decent kitchen with that yes.

I once worked out I spent £250,000 on vice not counting the productivity lost.

Tough one to work out but did it as a harsh reminder to myself.

I spend my sober money on good things now that I can remember.
You could say I saved/spent £16-£18k being sober. Much sweeter pill to swallow
Old 02-24-2019, 12:06 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

My average earnings as a drinker were low and getting lower. My life expectancy was on the same track. In the last year of my drinking many of my fellow young drunks died. I nearly did too.

So the bonus for getting sober was firstly getting a whole life back. I don't know how you can value that. In addition my average income increased by about 700%. The whole deal, if it could be valued monetarily, would be in the millions. What I spent on booze seems almost insignificant.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:35 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

235 days- SurvivorK

Originally Posted by MantaLady View Post
Morning SR!

I appreciate that not everyone wants to share how much sober time they have and don't want to count it, each to their own I say!

However, for me I have found it helpful so I can see my progress in different ways.

Today I am at:

8 months
227 days

I have saved £1837 (2397 usd / 3643 aud / 3149 cad)

This is just shy of 75% of my yearly mortgage!! I can't believe I would have spent that in the last 8 months if I had still been drinking. This could be a 2 week super exotic holiday, or could have my whole kitchen re-done, or if I traded in my car and used this afford me to buy a brand new car!

227 hangover free mornings!

What have you saved so far?
So proud of you MantaLady, it's March 15th and I have 235 days, finally came July 23rd, 2018 and I was done... I finally gave it over to something bigger than me. Hangover free feels so good! Hope you are well. You always inspired me!
Old 03-15-2019, 11:34 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Today is day 1,563 for me.
4.28 years. 51.35 months. 37,500 hours.

At about $125 a week, I have saved approximately $28,000, give or take. Wow.

But what's more amazing is the amount of time I have gained back. And self-esteem, human connection, health (mental and physical).

I'll never go back.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:35 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

That’s really kind of you to say and Huge congrats on your 235 days SurvivorK!! I have missed seeing you round the halls of SR and often wonder how you are getting on. So proud of you too xxx.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:44 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I dont know about you Mantalady but its not only the dollars saved from not buying alcohol. I used to online shop when I was in a merry mood as well. The amount of useless rubbish that I bought ! I couldn't see straight but somehow managed to purchase stuff without a problem !
Old 03-15-2019, 12:56 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Absolutely Kaneda!! Coming home to little cards from the courier saying they had tried to deliver a parcel and I didn’t even remember ordering it. Then I go pick up the box and it would just be some random useless crap that only 2 bottles of wine could make seem like a good idea!! Also saved lots on ordering deliveries from pizza shops etc that I would binge on when drinking too. Xx
Old 03-15-2019, 06:48 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I don't really pay much attention to it any more and have never been a day counter after the 1st 30 or so,but I know in the first full year away from my old lifestyle(exAgf,drinking and drugging,gambling,ect..) I saved over $26kUSD(not including legal costs).. 2yr+ mark I bought a low mileage Ferrari with my savings. I no longer check my accounts multiple times a day worrying a 'bill' may be returned. My credit score has also increased 300pts since my lifestyle change. There is absolutely ZERO 'bad side' in my sobriety.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:10 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

two and a half months

that would be roughly $500 in savings

oh and if we are counting time saved it might be something like 250 hours.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:11 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Ha!

Originally Posted by dee74 View Post
i have no idea really - but i feel like a millionaire now :d

d

🤣
Old 03-16-2019, 10:36 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
EndGame

Congratulations, MantaLady, on your sober time, and to everyone else who is able to stop and work at getting sober.

It's quite a thing to see you support your progress in such a healthy way. Nothing about what you've lost -- which for some time seems to be either necessary or helpful -- but some very practical things around what you've gained.

As some have said or suggested, there's so much more down the line that we cannot know about until we get there.