Notices

Made the appointment

Old 02-22-2019, 10:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Made the appointment

Still sober, 50+ days.

Researched and made the appointment today to meet with a therapist/mental health professional.

I am not going to AA, because I feel like I need deeper healing. Now sober, I am realizing I have lots of issues I need to work through so I can become the person I am meant to be.

Someone said it well in another post, I am an addict. I abused and tried all sorts of stuff before I settled on alcohol, so my problems are bigger than just being an alcoholic. I am an addict, in recovery.

I’ve posted about family issues going on, my struggle to maintain sobriety during it—and the family issues are not going away. I’m not coping well, and I needed to reach out—so I did.

Wish me luck. Nervous about it, but I cannot maintain my sobriety without addressing the underlying issues and I need help.

I’ll post progress.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Glad you made the appointment. I hope it's as helpful for you as it was for me.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad you're getting help, Suzieq17. Therapy is a major part of my recovery. It was scary but it was worth it.

Congratulations on the 50+ days. That's amazing!
Old 02-22-2019, 11:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's a great step forward Suzie . Wishing you all the best.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Power to you Suzieq! I found therapy really helpful, especially with an addiction therapist too as they not only are trained in people issues they also understand the addiction element too. Lots of people go to therapists, but not everyone becomes an addict to cope like us.

Really chuffed that you are taking control xx
Old 02-22-2019, 11:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I think's great that you are self-aware enough to realize all of that about yourself. I know a lot of people who are sober, but have not done any serious work on deeper healing of family issues, childhood or adult trauma, or really any sort of self-introspection about the things that drove them to self-medicate in the first place. I worry about them. For me, I know if I don't get at the root of my pain, I'm destined to go back out there and look for relief in a bottle.

Best of luck to you with the therapy, Suzie.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Best of luck
Old 02-22-2019, 03:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

wishing you the best with it Suzie - I really hope it helps

D
Old 02-22-2019, 04:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's a great plan, Suzie, I, also had a lot of work to do on myself in order to remain sober. I hope the therapy goes well.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Originally Posted by Suzieq17 View Post
Still sober, 50+ days.

Researched and made the appointment today to meet with a therapist/mental health professional.

I am not going to AA, because I feel like I need deeper healing. Now sober, I am realizing I have lots of issues I need to work through so I can become the person I am meant to be.

Someone said it well in another post, I am an addict. I abused and tried all sorts of stuff before I settled on alcohol, so my problems are bigger than just being an alcoholic. I am an addict, in recovery.

I’ve posted about family issues going on, my struggle to maintain sobriety during it—and the family issues are not going away. I’m not coping well, and I needed to reach out—so I did.

Wish me luck. Nervous about it, but I cannot maintain my sobriety without addressing the underlying issues and I need help.

I’ll post progress.
Hey Suzie,

Congratulations on making that call and on your sober time. I'm not clean at the moment but when I first came into recovery back in 2012 I went to NA meetings and did nothing else. I currently see a counsellor weekly and I'm on meds for depression. I really wish I'd started seeing a mental health professional back when I first stopped using. I've needed to sort out my mental health for years but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Now it feels like a giant weight is off my shoulders.

I realised I had issues other than my addiction and that I needed to deal with them. It took me ages to book a therapy appointment. I went through my doctor but I only got 6 or 8 appointments. I finished those then booked with another service and stopped going after a few sessions. I've started seeing the same service again and in the last few weeks, we've started going into some really deep stuff from my childhood and teenage years. It's really beginning to feel positive and like a really major part of my recovery. I'm planning on doing counselling and NA at the same time.

I wish you the very best on your journey and really hope that you get what you need from your appointments. You've made such a big step and whilst it may be painful at times I find it so therapeutic, hopefully, you do too.

Good luck Suzie!!!

Natom
Old 02-23-2019, 01:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well done for asking for help, not always easy.

Hope it all goes well.