Notices

Relapsed

Old 02-21-2019, 03:07 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

YEP- a bummer.

BUT- you 'fessed up, are being honest with yourself and accountable by posting- that takes guts. You see what the quality of recovery is, are learning by your relapse and are moving on. You are not the same person you were when you first got sober pre those 3y...you have a lot more in the way of experience and thinking and tools to use.

Well done.

Keep posting.

Support to you.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:26 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks for that comment Phoenix. Saying i have guts got my eyes watering up, because lately I’ve felt like a gutless coward. And again thanks to everyone for giving a comment, it means so much to me. It’s 6:00 here now, so that means it’s almost bed time and I’ll be able to say I’m back on track. I really hate this happened, but that’s life and it’s time for me to put the work in. From the bottom of my heart I want to say thank you all so much, I’ll keep this post updated for a while until i feel totally solid again if that’s ok. Thank you a million times over
Old 02-21-2019, 04:15 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Lenono

John Lennon talked a lot about love but I think his thoughts are applicable to loving ourselves and recovery too?

“We’ve got this gift of love, but love is like a precious plant. You can’t just accept it and leave it in the cupboard or just think it’s going to get on by itself. You’ve got to keep watering it. You’ve got to really look after it and nurture it.”

I'm really glad you made it back

D
Old 02-21-2019, 04:53 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I can’t believe you noticed my name and shared a John Lennon quote. Thank you so 🙏
Old 02-21-2019, 05:30 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Been there, done that.

I relapsed after 5 1/2 years sober when I thought that it would be ok to have a beer with my steak dinner in a restaurant. Bad idea. It was a done hill slide from there and it took me a year of on again, off again drinking to finally get, and stay, sober. Now it's been almost 9 years since my last drink.

Two things were keys to me finally getting sober.

The first was finding this website and become a daily visitor.

The second was finally giving up and trying AA.

So you've got the day off tomorrow. How about trying an AA meeting? You have nothing to lose except an addictive habit.
Old 02-21-2019, 05:35 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

You are aware of what you need to do to get back on track so Just forgive yourself and lean on family and friends you trust to move forward. Kudos for having the courage to be honest with yourself and your wife.
Old 02-21-2019, 06:20 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Again I’m just thankful and soaking up the comments. I got through the day and now I’m enjoying a bath and going to head to bed. Not sure I’ll sleep too well, but I got through the day and that makes a huge difference for me psychologically. I was so scared and desperate this morning when i first posted, but I made it through the day. I can not thank you all enough. I think tomorrow will be even better
Old 02-21-2019, 08:53 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Me too Lenono. 3 years sober and 2 not. The embarrassment kept me off here until embarrassment was the least of my problems. I am 7 days sober now so I'm starting over too.

I think guilt and shame is just another rotten gift from alcohol we can add to the list. Keeps us isolated and living in fear. I am working on changing those feelings to remorse. Remorse is a far more healthy way to move past a relapse and on to a better life in my opinion.

Glad you are back!!!
Old 02-21-2019, 09:15 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Mr

Welcome back Lenono.

You probably know alot about staying sober than me and you have already proven that you can do it.

So much great advice here already.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:52 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're back!
Old 02-21-2019, 09:54 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lenono17 View Post
Again I’m just thankful and soaking up the comments. I got through the day and now I’m enjoying a bath and going to head to bed. Not sure I’ll sleep too well, but I got through the day and that makes a huge difference for me psychologically. I was so scared and desperate this morning when i first posted, but I made it through the day. I can not thank you all enough. I think tomorrow will be even better
Originally Posted by Lenono17 View Post
I can’t believe you noticed my name and shared a John Lennon quote. Thank you so 🙏
Dee is pretty awesome like that!
Old 02-22-2019, 03:00 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 360shoes View Post
Me too Lenono. 3 years sober and 2 not. The embarrassment kept me off here until embarrassment was the least of my problems. I am 7 days sober now so I'm starting over too.

I think guilt and shame is just another rotten gift from alcohol we can add to the list. Keeps us isolated and living in fear. I am working on changing those feelings to remorse. Remorse is a far more healthy way to move past a relapse and on to a better life in my opinion.

Glad you are back!!!
Well I’m glad you are back as well. I woke up at 5 this morning, I sure can’t wait to get back to my regular sleeping patterns among other things. It’s going to be a long day but I’m happy day one is over!
Old 02-22-2019, 03:09 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 360shoes View Post
Me too Lenono. 3 years sober...... I am 7 days sober now so I'm starting over too...... Glad you are back!!!
Guess I can add to the party. What is it with three years? I picked up a couple of 24 hour chips this week. Sigh... oh well back on the horse.

The only thing I can change today is my attitude.
Old 02-22-2019, 03:32 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

That’s something else, a few of us in here with 3 years trying to get back on the horse. I’m glad I decided to make a post and see that I’m not alone. Knowing that really does help ease the guilt
Old 02-22-2019, 03:37 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

We give ourselves guilt....it is useful- so long as we turn it into action. Just like anger can be used to fuel doing stuff..not just feeding it with more negative stuff.

The prob is- we are justifiably guilt ridden- but such negative feelings can actually prevent a healthy recovery.

That is why daily support at SR is so important to me, plus meetings to nt isolate and be around humans.

Keep posting.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:21 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

And that’s what’s been holding me back. My guilt just helped me feel sorry for myself and gave me some weird excuse to keep doing it. All the money I’ve wasted and weight I’ve gained piled onto that guilt. I’m determined not to drink today. Yesterday I was actually able to get some things accomplished and not be taking a two hour nap at 5pm. I’m so annoyed this happened but it’s tome to get to work
Old 02-22-2019, 03:39 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Administrator

sorry to hear that AAPJ - glad you made it back as well

D
Old 02-22-2019, 07:05 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Well day 2 is basically finished with. This has really taught me that if this ever happens again I need to speak up and take the time to recover. There’s a concert I wanted to go tomorrow night but I’m going to take it easy, no need to risk it. But I’m feeling pretty good and like myself again. It gets so scary when you fall back into it, you get so desperate and you’re AV take over. Thank you all for the support, hopefully it keeps me back on track
Old 02-23-2019, 12:26 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm so glad to hear the good news Lenono. I'm happy you're feeling more positive. It'll take a little time to regain your strength -you're wise to take it easy.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:35 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Nice job man.

Yes I can relate regarding guilt driving you back to the poison and then feeling more guilty and then believing that only the poison relieve the guilt. At least that's what the demon and the poison told me for so long. The truth is once you can get sober, as you know, that guilt can be dealt with, and your life can be treated properly. Congrats and keep it moving and keep us updated.