Notices

Taking back control

Old 02-21-2019, 05:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Taking back control

As you know, yesterday was a tough ole day for me.
Seeing old friends blah blah, so I decided to take control and tell a few people of my struggle with alcohol, and how I'm now NOT drinking 😃. It was hard to admit face to face with people, but if I'm to get anywhere I have to start being honest. The reaction was mixed but on the whole really positive. The people who matter will be in my corner.
Saturday night i was meant to go and see a band, which made me really apprehensive, and anxious. So ive decided not to go, instead I'm going out for a meal, with a few friends, a couple which drink, and a couple don't, I've said that I have a chest infection and I'm on antibiotics, so I won't be drinking. No one questioned it😃. However on the night I've decided I'm going to tell those friends as well. I need every one in my corner, if they are not, they can go. It time to take back control and push forward.
As always much love to everyone who struggles, we can do this, together we are strong .
🙏💖
Old 02-21-2019, 05:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Big steps. Good work.

When I told my friends only a few abandoned me and said things like "we can't be friends with Chris anymore, he doesn't drink.". The majority of them were very positive and we are closer than ever. Most have even cut way back on drinking themselves. Keep walking your journey Doris, you're doing great!!!
Old 02-21-2019, 07:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

That sounds like a good plan, Doris.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't recall experiencing negativity over my decision to quit drinking. At most, I had a few people perplexed at why I thought I needed to quit, but for the most part, people approved of my choice. In some cases they strongly approved.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Doris- great stuff, with healing comes growth in our little brains (well mine is little). Whatever you need to do to keep your recovery strong. I think avoiding places where booze and hype is the norm is very good to avoid. Even now- I will look at freshly baked, crusty white bread when passing a bakery and think how great some of that with real butter would be.

I used to 'salivate' the same way about alcohol. So I know not to go into the bakery and buy the bread- thus no temptation as it is not there.

As time goes by, you will feel more comfortable in your role in recovery. It is only normal to explain why we do not drink with a logical reason (many I know say they are on antibiotics). I do not see any problem with that.