Notices

It's My Party, and I'll Brag If I Want To.

Old 02-20-2019, 06:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's My Party, and I'll Brag If I Want To.

Well ya'll, here it is. My 180 days. My 6 months. I've beaten my previous sobriety record by 179 days. Looking back at my journey so far, here are my thoughts:

-181 days ago I was sitting at a hotel bar in Atlanta. Slowly stirring a Jack Daniels and Coke, knowing damn well that it would be my last drink ever.

-161 days ago I was at home experiencing severe stomach pain, disorientation and distention. I didn't quite understand why. I had been sober for about 20 days...why is this happening to me?! I was chugging every medicine in sight, hoping something would give me relief. Nothing did.

-160 days ago I was first admitted to the hospital, hooked up to a bunch of machines, yellow as a banana, full of toxic fluid known as ascites. I was defeated. I learned my diagnosis, and I asked the doctor if I was dying. The doctor looked at me, and I'll never forget the seriousness in his eyes as he told me the following...."Chris...you're in trouble. You're in really bad shape. Your liver and kidneys are 'very angry' at you. We need to keep you here for awhile. You are dying, but you're not dying today. I promise you, you're not dying today."

I left the hospital a week later, with orders to come back for treatment once a week. I sat in the waiting room trying to find someone to take me home. No one was coming. I felt very much alone, but used the Uber app to get a ride, climbed into bed, and tried to forget about my shortcomings at life.

The next day I woke up. Took a long hot shower. Prayed to God to give me strength, or answers, or help, or something. Just give me something. At that moment I felt a weight lifted off me. I can't explain the feeling, but my hopelessness turned to hope. I was ready to live. I wasn't going to die that day. Nope, not that day.

Since then, I have lost 34 lbs, my liver doesn't hurt, I'm not distended, I'm not yellow, my eyes are bright, I can breath normally. I no longer need or want alcohol. I no longer feel alone. I no longer experience anxiety or depression. I have the most amazing people in my life, and every day is just a blessing and an adventure. I'm kicking ass at work again, and recently got another promotion. I'm told I look healthy, and I FEEL healthy. I've been told by friends that I exude positivity and good vibes. I don't know if I'm still dying. I don't really care. My story is far from over, and I'm just living the best I know how.

So this is my party. Sobriety is my biggest life accomplishment. I'm not ashamed of my past. I'm proud. I've overcome a struggle that many people tragically cannot do. I'm so thankful that I found this community. Ya'll have listened to my nonsense, given me advice, and I only hope I can help someone in return. Alcoholism isn't fair. It affects GOOD people. If I can beat it, so can you. I'm always available to anyone who feels alone and needs to talk in a time of weakness.

I'll ALWAYS reply to direct messages. If you need a "sponsor", I'll give you my cell #. Just don't blow vape in my face or try to feed me tea and crumpets. Crazy redcoats. We can all do this together. We run this ****.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well son, I'm proud of you 😃. Live your best life man. I will continue to root for you. I love your positive attitude, I needed to read this today. I'm off to have crumpets, drink tea, an blow my vape cloud 😝 keep going sunshine
🙏💖
Old 02-20-2019, 06:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your sober time!
Old 02-20-2019, 06:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What a great post, Chris. I'm so happy you took your life back.

Indeed, if we can do it anyone can do it.

Congratulations on six months. It will keep getting better.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Doris47 View Post
Well son, I'm proud of you 😃. Live your best life man. I will continue to root for you. I love your positive attitude, I needed to read this today. I'm off to have crumpets, drink tea, an blow my vape cloud 😝 keep going sunshine
🙏💖
Come on mom, ditch the tea and crumpets. I don't know if you're just messing with me, or if our American view of the Brits is actually true. Tea, crumpets, bloody this, bloody that, God save the Queen LOL.

A positive attitude makes a world of difference. I got nothing to be negative about. Now go off and have a great day!!! Cheerio!
Old 02-20-2019, 06:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
What a great post, Chris. I'm so happy you took your life back.

Indeed, if we can do it anyone can do it.

Congratulations on six months. It will keep getting better.
Thank you. I didn't think I would feel any differently on my "6 months", but I feel on top of the world today!
Old 02-20-2019, 06:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well done you!! You are doing so great!! Your story is faaarrr from over yet! Keep fighting the good fight in sobriety and know we are all rooting for you!!! So proud of you Chris!!
Old 02-20-2019, 06:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Thanks so much for this positive post today, Chris. It put a big smile on my face. And huge congratulations on 6 months.

I love your description of what happened after you prayed. I had a moment like that, when I was sitting in the police station being booked for my 3rd DUI. I surrendered. I prayed ( I don't generally pray, but desperation had set in and it seemed like my only choice in that moment). I felt like the weight of the world was being lifted off my shoulders. I knew I had turned the corner, and that I never had to drink again. It was truly a spiritual moment, and I'll never forget it.

We can do this. We can do hard things. We can live our best lives, no matter how low we got.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
Thanks so much for this positive post today, Chris. It put a big smile on my face. And huge congratulations on 6 months.

I love your description of what happened after you prayed. I had a moment like that, when I was sitting in the police station being booked for my 3rd DUI. I surrendered. I prayed ( I don't generally pray, but desperation had set in and it seemed like my only choice in that moment). I felt like the weight of the world was being lifted off my shoulders. I knew I had turned the corner, and that I never had to drink again. It was truly a spiritual moment, and I'll never forget it.

We can do this. We can do hard things. We can live our best lives, no matter how low we got.
I'm glad it made you smile, and that you can relate. I'm generally not a pray-er either. I've always believed in a higher power, believe in God, but just not big on the "church" thing. I too felt desperate and knew I needed something to lift me up.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Nice job man, big congrats. The best thing is that it keeps getting better.
​​​​​
Old 02-20-2019, 08:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WhoDeyPI View Post
Well ya'll, here it is. My 180 days. My 6 months. I've beaten my previous sobriety record by 179 days. Looking back at my journey so far, here are my thoughts:

-181 days ago I was sitting at a hotel bar in Atlanta. Slowly stirring a Jack Daniels and Coke, knowing damn well that it would be my last drink ever.

-161 days ago I was at home experiencing severe stomach pain, disorientation and distention. I didn't quite understand why. I had been sober for about 20 days...why is this happening to me?! I was chugging every medicine in sight, hoping something would give me relief. Nothing did.

-160 days ago I was first admitted to the hospital, hooked up to a bunch of machines, yellow as a banana, full of toxic fluid known as ascites. I was defeated. I learned my diagnosis, and I asked the doctor if I was dying. The doctor looked at me, and I'll never forget the seriousness in his eyes as he told me the following...."Chris...you're in trouble. You're in really bad shape. Your liver and kidneys are 'very angry' at you. We need to keep you here for awhile. You are dying, but you're not dying today. I promise you, you're not dying today."

I left the hospital a week later, with orders to come back for treatment once a week. I sat in the waiting room trying to find someone to take me home. No one was coming. I felt very much alone, but used the Uber app to get a ride, climbed into bed, and tried to forget about my shortcomings at life.

The next day I woke up. Took a long hot shower. Prayed to God to give me strength, or answers, or help, or something. Just give me something. At that moment I felt a weight lifted off me. I can't explain the feeling, but my hopelessness turned to hope. I was ready to live. I wasn't going to die that day. Nope, not that day.

Since then, I have lost 34 lbs, my liver doesn't hurt, I'm not distended, I'm not yellow, my eyes are bright, I can breath normally. I no longer need or want alcohol. I no longer feel alone. I no longer experience anxiety or depression. I have the most amazing people in my life, and every day is just a blessing and an adventure. I'm kicking ass at work again, and recently got another promotion. I'm told I look healthy, and I FEEL healthy. I've been told by friends that I exude positivity and good vibes. I don't know if I'm still dying. I don't really care. My story is far from over, and I'm just living the best I know how.

So this is my party. Sobriety is my biggest life accomplishment. I'm not ashamed of my past. I'm proud. I've overcome a struggle that many people tragically cannot do. I'm so thankful that I found this community. Ya'll have listened to my nonsense, given me advice, and I only hope I can help someone in return. Alcoholism isn't fair. It affects GOOD people. If I can beat it, so can you. I'm always available to anyone who feels alone and needs to talk in a time of weakness.

I'll ALWAYS reply to direct messages. If you need a "sponsor", I'll give you my cell #. Just don't blow vape in my face or try to feed me tea and crumpets. Crazy redcoats. We can all do this together. We run this ****.
When your, "Values," trump your addiction, there is no addiction.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats on your 180 day milestone! A very uplifting read. I hope your health continues to improve every day.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congratulations.

This post gives me a lot of hope. You're crushing it.

Go Browns.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:32 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Congratulations on your recovery! You are an inspiration.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

way to go on living , LIVING in the best sense.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Just "celebrated" by smashing a Jimmy Johns sub sandwich down my throat. Can I blame PAWS for my gluttony?
Old 02-20-2019, 11:03 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congrats on six months Chris!! It truly keeps getting better!
Old 02-20-2019, 11:13 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on six months sober!
Old 02-20-2019, 01:48 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Beautiful , a power of example
Old 02-20-2019, 02:16 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

WOW great to hear your now in recovery after such a terrible ordeal. Sometimes it’s takes a near death experience to appreciate life.

Really happy for you.