Notices

Hi there, wondering if anyone can help?

Old 02-19-2019, 06:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi there, wondering if anyone can help?

I'm just over three months sober now, yay! But I get myself very overwhelmed and very stressed. My brain is thinking of everything I want to achieve - future job, going back to uni, buying a house etc. BIG decisions. I'm 34 and feel like I'm running out of time... I can't get this feeling of running out of time out of my head. I think if I were to be on my dying bed tomorrow I'd be so disappointed I didn't achieve all my goals. I love so many different things as hobbies, painting, running, guitar etc.

I think about the list of things I want to achieve all the time whilst worrying about everything. I make my head hurt, I get overwhelmed and then I want to hide away and do nothing at all. My brain has always been in overdrive.... Part of me wants to shop away any pain etc. I am at counselling but due to a holiday I had and her sickness I've not had it for five weeks.

I feel like I'm about to explode. I'm torn between rest and look after yourself and achieve achieve achieve.

Please help. Driving myself mad. Sorry for any typos that may be present. My brain is too unsettled to read over this... Thanks
Old 02-19-2019, 06:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If you keep thinking like this you are on a bad road. Those are all major decisions and aspirations to face. None of them will come to pass if you don't fix your major problems, including drinking and how you are setting your goals ahead of that right now. Congratulations on the three months, that's a great start, but the chaos in your mind has to be settled, too. If you are a driven person, pick one thing and work on that along with your sobriety, and set aside your wants and desires for everything at once, at least for a reasonable amount of time like a year, and then you can evaluate where you stand. I would think about a counselor to help you to get a handle on your thinking processes and values. Attendance at AA or other sobriety driven programs can help you define yourself better, if you haven't considered that yet, as it is a form of therapy. I find that when my mind or emotions are in a state of disorder this way, I am putting myself at risk for a relapse.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

whoa nelly bli...ekek baby steps just baby steps.. what do you need first above all. your health.. when I went thro cancer .. I had one goal to see my Daughter marry.. that was my target and my way to get there was my health first and formost.. yep... maybe some tiny things first. baby steps please. its hard but baby steps...