Notices

Tom the 10 year clean alky

Old 02-18-2019, 04:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Tom the 10 year clean alky

In my constant search for info on this and that I came across Tom's video on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/mg97lgKwbbw

If I am that obsessed and negative about booze at 10 years clean it is going to suck.

He seems a bit too serious and sad. Not a role model existance.

I am working toward a conscious/subconscious never drinking again lifestyle.

I think he lost a whole lot of money and respect and that is why he seems so depressed.

I can't help but wonder if he is on any rx meds.

It begs the question.

Thanks
Old 02-18-2019, 04:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, that was a glowing recommendation to rush right over and watch it! I think I'll pass. I try pretty hard not to do stuff that will make me feel bad. I don't even watch the news! I watch comedies and nature documentaries on the TV almost exclusively. I'm careful about what I let in and what I dwell on.

Yeah, if sobriety is making someone miserable - they're definitely doing it wrong. My life is much better than when I was drinking.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SIB

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
In my constant search for info on this and that I came across Tom's video on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/mg97lgKwbbw

If I am that obsessed and negative about booze at 10 years clean it is going to suck.

He seems a bit too serious and sad. Not a role model existance.

I am working toward a conscious/subconscious never drinking again lifestyle.

I think he lost a whole lot of money and respect and that is why he seems so depressed.

I can't help but wonder if he is on any rx meds.

It begs the question.

Thanks
Therein lies the problem.. A lot of people that get sober and get to a point where they don't even think of it anymore don't want to continue going to meetings to talk...about drinking. His case was pretty severe though and it seems to be working for him, so its all good.

Also, you aren't really supposed to watch that and think "jeez, I hope i am not like that in 10 years". I think its meant as an inspiration for drunks to see that there is light at the end of the tunnel with getting sober.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Bit hard to judge someone or their recovery from 20 mins.

I recently had to do series of videos for something else I'm involved in and I came across as very serious and stilted - not a true reflection of me at all - I just hate doing videos

D
Old 02-18-2019, 07:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Well, that was a glowing recommendation to rush right over and watch it! I think I'll pass. I try pretty hard not to do stuff that will make me feel bad. I don't even watch the news! I watch comedies and nature documentaries on the TV almost exclusively. I'm careful about what I let in and what I dwell on.

Yeah, if sobriety is making someone miserable - they're definitely doing it wrong. My life is much better than when I was drinking.
Ha! Classic Bimini. Hey this tastes terrible, try it. Nah I'm good.

Sobriety is never a reason for my misery...if I'm miserable, well, it happens. But drinking definitely makes me miserable. No question about that.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Regardless of whether Tom was having a bad day, he came across honestly.

It appeared within that honesty there was some serious pain.

I get dark sometimes, sort like an evil voice on one shoulder, but I work to beat that thing down.

Every moment I spend pissed about something is lost forever. All my money not another minute buy.

Search for the good. I count my blessings. It could be, or could have been, so much more worse.

I found the video compelling in a dark way. Without darkness, we may not appreciate the light.

Thanks.
Old 02-24-2019, 02:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I try to view the world through a prism of gratitude, service and stewardship.

But I fall short plenty.

I just keep talking to God and working the steps.

I haven't had to drink since the day I walked into the treatment center and sought help for my alcoholism.

I have had a great recovery, and I owe it to God, to AA and the 12 steps and to friends in recovery, including all of you here at SR.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

I saw that video a while ago, but if I recall correctly, like 3/4 of the video he was telling his story about how ****** up he was. I don't think someone is going to be rainbows and unicorns when describing losing everything in his or her life and having several felony warrants. The last 1/4, he says his life is much better, etc., than when he was boozing. I know a guy with 16 years, and he's happy af. For the most part, in life, just like sobriety, you get out of it what you put into it.