Notices

Cbd

Old 02-16-2019, 07:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cbd

Today is day 4 with no alcohol.. They just opened a bud store near my home, not weed but cbd. I purchased the cbd tea packs and thinking about go back to purchase the buds. Have anyone used it while trying to quit drinking? I dont smoke weed but read so much about the benefits of smoking cbd.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

thinking about go back to purchase the buds.
I've spoken many times about how pot and alcohol were the same leaky boat for me - I used both in the same way - to escape - and both came to own me...both dragged me down.

I wouldn't recommend anyone try smoking weed to get over an alcohol addiction.

There's a real danger of getting cross addicted - getting addicted to the thing you're using to escape another addiction

What your aim Toni?

what are you looking for from the CBD oil?
to mellow out, relax?

If so, I'd think again

sounds very much like how folks like you and I use that other legal drug, alcohol, to me?

D
Old 02-16-2019, 08:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I use medical marijuana, cbd, etc. I find that it’s helped a lot. I wouldn’t be alcohol free without it. I was a blackout, ******** young professional. 28, 2 duis, major belligerent emotional wreck, tenth time detoxing that year. However, I wouldn’t say that cbd would have directly helped me in any way. I do however feel that marijuana allows me to self reflect on my alcoholism and believe that this recovery is going to be a growing trend with the laws changing. I was a drunken mess. Im not the AA type but the best thing I could do was compare; I felt in a different league. Self destructive alcoholics will understand. I’m not here to debate this topic as that violates the threads rules and saw that Dee closed a thread that I feel might be an interesting topic. All I’m wondering is if there is a place to talk about marijuana in recovery from alcoholism. I feel left out because it has to be a secret in this community but the self reflection is real. Still trying to pick up the pieces, but all life obstacles are in my control.

But to answer your question: no, cbd will not likely help for your recovery. It will most likely lead to you smoking marijuana so I don’t recommend it if that is not the goal.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I understand that its becoming legal everywhere and that threads like this will be more frequent.

That doesn't make it a good idea in my opinion, particularly not for addicts - but I try to keep my own feelings out of mod decisions and aim to stick to the rules.

Toni's post is asking a question and it's not against any rules.

There is a marijuana addiction sub forum here tho and I think it'd be pretty thoughtless for anyone to suggest it's a great idea to smoke.

2. Outside Agendas: No posts of an overtly political or religious nature OR posts promoting advocacy of particular personal, medical, legal, religious, political, or non-profit causes. The forums are intended for offering mutual personal support related to recovery from addiction or recovery for family and friends. This is our primary purpose. Debating controversial subjects should be taken elsewhere. Limited references are allowed, but the forums should not be used to convert others. Do not post content or links or materials to and from sites that flame someone's person, religious beliefs, race, national background, sexual orientation, or recovery program/method. It is inappropriate to promote the use of alcohol or drugs on our addiction recovery forums.
People can do or smoke whatever they like, regardless of what I think, but I'd ask people to be responsible with what they share, given this is a recovery site, and given the audience is mostly newcomers.

Other places like Reddit might give you the kind of discussion you're looking for, RollAway.

for now, this thread is open.

D
Old 02-16-2019, 09:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm a bit behind the curve re weed. I had thought (but don't quote me!) that CBD oil lacked the parts of MJ that are intoxicants. If that's true then I would think using the oil would be safe. But using weed to get high, well- I'm of the same mind that DEE is. I have no interest in kicking one drug (booze) just to trade it for another addiction (weed).

We all assume some level of risk in a typical day. Maybe it's really icy outside but we decide to drive to the store, or maybe you're in a hurry so you drive a bit too fast hoping you don't get a ticket. In many things there's risk and I am okay with that. But I will accept zero risk when it comes to drugs or alcohol. For example no matter how sick I am I will not use cold medicines that contain alcohol (like Nytol used to, not sure if it still does). Likewise I've read that Kombucha is supposed to be healthy even though it contains trace amounts of alcohol. About a year ago I tried one and just a single sip was enough to tell me it had more alcohol than I was willing to risk so I dumped it out and pitched it.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have an addictive physiology. I know if I started to use weed medicinally I would become dependent on it.
I was dependent on it when I was in my teens. It's just my make up. I don't use drugs or alcohol, I abuse them.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I thought CBD doesn't get you high?
Old 02-16-2019, 11:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It doesn't with cbd oil they take the bit out that gets you high( THC ) not sure if I'm allowed to say that. So my advice is to Google it. I was using it to help with my anxiety/sleep .
Sorry if I've broken rules with this answer
🙏💖
Old 02-16-2019, 11:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is getting ridiculous folks.

I made one error here in thinking buds meant...well buds.

I've been out of the scene for long enough not to know there are CBD buds.

Whenever I hear about CBD oil (or now buds) not getting people high...I think (or my AV does) well, whats the point?

I've often shared about NA beer here - how I was looking for more...I missed the buzz.

I also remember was getting into edibles when they first came out, I liked the mellow body buzz....but I wanted to get higher.

In recovery there's no such thing as a free lunch IMO.

There are people out there who can drink responsibly. I'm not one of them.

There are people out there, I'm sure, who can use weed, and its ever growing varied by-products without harm. Again - not me.

I'm not convinced people on this side of a recovery site generally fall into either subset.

I'm going to speak to Anna about this.

For the time being, until we have that discussion, I'm shutting this thread down because nothing annoys me more than unbridled AV.

I mean fair dinkum - its like an someone with an oxy addiction bowling in here posting they can drink a little (maybe even NA beer) to help them get through the discomfort of withdrawal.

I don't need to hear that and neither does anyone else in this newcomers forum.

If you can't read the room, at least remember where the room is.

I hope you have enough raw data to help you make an informed choice Toni.

Dee
SR