Notices

New guy, sort of.

Old 02-16-2019, 06:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New guy, sort of.

I have been viewing post for about the last two years that I have been in the "cycle". No need to explain that. I am done with the cycle. I can't take the withdrawls, constant chaos, and the guilt / embarrassment that comes letting family down. I don't have a problem getting sober but its staying sober.

I have two days and am going to give it a few more to get my head straight before developing a plan. I have an aa meeting that I have attended in the past but got complacent and slacked off. I want this site to be part of my plan and also will be pulling up old post on plans so as not to reinvent the wheel. Ive realized that everytime I get sober thats all I do differently and that has to be a major change. Someone told me that went all the way to changing how they put socks on. Maybe outpatient or counseling. Im researching that also.

So anyways, thanks for all of your post and information. I look forward to participating as I have realized I can't do this by myself.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 02-16-2019, 07:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Anyone can get sober but as you’ve realised it’s the staying stopped that takes the work. What needs to change? Everything. That’s what recovery is in my experience and there are recovery programs to guide the way for the change to occur. AA is one of these programs and freely available: I recommend reading the big book online and ignore what doesn’t resonate and focus on the chapters that do. Those other chapters will make sense further down the line in my experience.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

We're so glad to have you with us. There's plenty of encouragement & caring here. You can do this!
Old 02-16-2019, 08:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.
I went to an AA meeting for seven months, when first trying to get sober, and I stayed sober. Then I got complacent and went less and less. This led to a relapse that lasted another number of years.
Yes, the only thing that changes when we get sober is everything.
Anything to get past that hump of getting sober and staying sober.
AA would be great for you. So would counseling.

It took me many years of trying before it stuck and I've now been sober for ten years. And I was a bad drunk. Drinking nearly every day at the end.
You can do it too.
I look forward to hearing more from you.

Best to you in sobriety.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good to have you here. Long term sobriety is totally possible. I made to the decision in the deepest part of who I am to know that i'm done with drinking. A real HONEST decision. Here I am almost 4 years later.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

"Welcome back." These are the words I heard a few different times myself. I was going to NA for 5 1/2 years, relapsed, ten years later went to AA for 5 1/2 years, relapsed. Complacent, yes but more than that, I had to ask myself why I got complacent. I still ask myself that. I have 13 months sober now. It took me ten years both times after a relapse to get back to sobriety. When I wish I hadn't wasted so much time, that too is a waste of my time because that is not the reality of it. Pride, ego, going to do it myself attitude kept me from becoming my best self. Not understanding what it takes to stay sober, not understanding the suggested steps, not asking for help. There is much to all this and I am learning and growing. I never hope I go back to the despair and obsession of the false self life. I hope you stay Fin and find a new life here and everywhere you go.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies.

I am planning on reengaging with the AA group this week. They were super nice people and always welcoming. I used to attend AA meeting when I was a kid with a relative who has been sober over 30 years. I liked all the guys. So I wasn't really intimidated in that first meeting but they were nice beyond belief.

Im reading the big book for the third time now. A friend of mine who got sober gave me his 2 years ago and I bought mine after I read his. Figured I needed to go back and reread again.

Over the past 3-5 years my drinking problem has gotten bad and with each relapse the withdrawl gets worse. I have reached a critical point and know I have to do whatever it takes not to pick up. I also have family that deserve my presence.

Thanks again for the kind words.
Old 02-16-2019, 12:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Fintime!!