SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Just can’t do it on my own (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/436311-just-can-t-do-my-own.html)

Highercall 02-13-2019 07:00 PM

Just can’t do it on my own

ive tried god knows I’ve tried. Back to AA for
me!

Hopeful528 02-13-2019 07:02 PM

Me too, highercall.
I'm doing the same thing.
You can do it with support. Think of how strong you have been doing it all alone. Now with support we can do it.

lessgravity 02-13-2019 07:06 PM

What have you tried?
Another post after drinking is about it from what I can twll.

Wrote this to you a few weeks ago:

lessgravity , 01-29-2019 07:07 AM
I open your thread knowing "I binged..." will be in the first couple sentences. I say this as someone who was no better at getting sober for a long time as well. But I was also told, and finally listened - post before you drink next time.

Same old man. Why not post before you drink this time?

No one is coming to save you.

Highercall 02-13-2019 07:09 PM

Thanks for that lessgravity I’m off to AA isn’t that enough!

lessgravity 02-13-2019 07:11 PM

That's great actually. More than enough. Next time though post BEFORE you drink man. I'm on your side, but you need to do the work Gotten great advice from this place, let's put it to use. Rooting for you

​​​​​

Hopeful528 02-13-2019 07:12 PM

I think everyone has a different recovery story and some people can successfully do it by posting here before they drink.

I know with me, there are times when I could post here before I had a drink, but there were times when the obsession was so strong that posting was the last thing I would do,even though i want sobriety so much the temporary insanity would take over.

So whether AA, a different recovery program, really positive F2F. Help and preventatively not getting to the obsession is key.

Hopeful528 02-13-2019 07:15 PM

I would like to edit to add, yes you should post first.

But getting other help is good too.

least 02-13-2019 07:21 PM

I'm not in AA, tho I used to be, but I know that the promises in AA are fulfilled thru working the steps, not just going to meetings. If you're not working the steps, maybe you should get a sponsor and try that. Can't hurt and might help. :)

Dee74 02-13-2019 07:23 PM

I'm glad you're giving AA another shot HC.
I'll add another vote for posting here daily (or more) and posting before you drink too :)

D

dafunbra 02-13-2019 07:23 PM

I can't do it on my own, either. But I do have a firm grasp on everything I can find that helps me do I'm not doing it on my own.

columbus 02-13-2019 07:36 PM

Good luck and good work, HC!

thomas11 02-14-2019 05:33 AM

THe addiction is a beast, a worthy opponent. I hope AA works out for you and you can quit drinking.

comtnman740 02-14-2019 06:52 AM

Sounds like a great start! I know for me a big part of my disease is my EGO. I thought that i could whip this on my own and didn't need anyone else's help. Countless relapses will say otherwise. I know everyone is different but me i needed the help and support of the fellowship to guide me along.
Good Luck!

Natom 02-14-2019 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Highercall (Post 7123788)
ive tried god knows I’ve tried. Back to AA for
me!

Hey Highercall,

I stopped going to NA meetings about 5 and a half years ago. I haven't been clean for 5 years. There's certainly a connection there.

I'm going to be going back to AA and NA meetings, there are more AA meetings in my area so it will most likely be AA first.

Take it easy my friend. One day at a time.

Natom