Notices

Headaches?

Old 02-14-2019, 08:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
SIB

Headaches?

Day 15 here, all is well except faint headaches come and go. I "use" to only get these from being hungover all the time. I figure its a withdrawal of some sort, possibly sugar which I imagine has been cut by 90%. Anyone else had this?
Old 02-14-2019, 08:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats on 15 days SIB! Headaches can be caused by just about anyting - literally. Withdrawal, diet, dehydration, lack of sleep, stress, just to name a few. Caffeine and sugar can definitely be culprits too. Getting enough sleep, eating well, drinking enough water are good places to start.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SIB

I have most of the bases covered, thinking its sugar or caffeine. I looked into it and seems pretty normal at this point.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Originally Posted by SIB View Post
Day 15 here, all is well except faint headaches come and go. I "use" to only get these from being hungover all the time. I figure its a withdrawal of some sort, possibly sugar which I imagine has been cut by 90%. Anyone else had this?
As other people have mentioned the headache could be a result of loads of different things. I normally get them when I either reduce or give up caffeine or sugar in my diet. It's also more prominently a symptom of dehydration.

I'd recommend drinking a lot of water and obviously, if it persists I'd recommend seeing a medical professional.

Natom
Old 02-14-2019, 10:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was plagued with headaches in the first month of sobriety. I think dehydration was a big part of it. I started carrying a water bottle around and keeping it filled and sipping on it all day and that helped.

If it carries on or you are concerned talk to your Dr.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I got headaches that lasted days at a time.
Turned out to be my neck.
My girlfriend who is a physio/chiropractor fixed it for me

Could it be you are spending a lot of time at your desk or got iPad neck?
Just a suggestion
Old 02-14-2019, 11:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I got them, too — but note, headaches can have any number of causes. It may be related to your recovery, but it may also be that alcohol had been glazing over something else.

Me? I get sinus headaches. Sometimes really bad sinus headaches. They persist well into sobriety, but I used to “drink them off.” I’ve found that excercize and working up a good sweat at the gym helps a lot!

Biggest piece of advice since nobody on this forum can give medical advice, check in with your primary care doctor. Let them know you’ve given up alcohol, too — they may want to do some checkups related to that that can help.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SIB

Great advice, thanks all - I've also been drinking a lot of water but dehydration could very well be it too.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had headaches for a few weeks...they stopped - I hope yours will too SIB

D