Notices

Marijuana and Alcohol Recovery

Old 02-12-2019, 12:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Marijuana and Alcohol Recovery

I smoke pot. I am not a big smoker and limit it to before bed to help me sleep and for pain. I am also a lightweight that does not need much at all. I need serious back surgery and am not going there right now, but I suffer. I refuse pain pills of any kind for fear of addiction. With my circumstances, I could get whatever pills I wanted. I have been an on and off pot smoker since I was a teenager and I am now 50. I have never had a problem putting it down and could never smoke and drink at the same time. I am not a partier either. I am smoking a bit more now that I am sober to help take the edge off.

I know some old timers would frown on my use of pot. The way I look at it, alcohol is going to kill me if I keep going this route. Pot never will. I know a few recovering alcoholics who still smoke pot regularly.

I am just wondering how the folks on this forum feel about this. It isn't going to change what I am doing if you disagree, just curious how others in recovery feel about it.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Originally Posted by Ustacallmelola View Post
I smoke pot. I am not a big smoker and limit it to before bed to help me sleep and for pain. I am also a lightweight that does not need much at all. I need serious back surgery and am not going there right now, but I suffer. I refuse pain pills of any kind for fear of addiction. With my circumstances, I could get whatever pills I wanted. I have been an on and off pot smoker since I was a teenager and I am now 50. I have never had a problem putting it down and could never smoke and drink at the same time. I am not a partier either. I am smoking a bit more now that I am sober to help take the edge off.

I know some old timers would frown on my use of pot. The way I look at it, alcohol is going to kill me if I keep going this route. Pot never will. I know a few recovering alcoholics who still smoke pot regularly.

I am just wondering how the folks on this forum feel about this. It isn't going to change what I am doing if you disagree, just curious how others in recovery feel about it.
Thanks for your post. My personal opinion (and everyone has one) is that you're replacing alcohol with marijuana. I don't dislike marijuana and smoked it often during my youth. However, I found that as much as I loved getting stoned I never had enough 'clarity'. If it's working for you then cool but how long until it stops working?

Natom
Old 02-12-2019, 12:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Ustacallmelola View Post
I smoke pot....I am just wondering how the folks on this forum feel about this. It isn't going to change what I am doing if you disagree
From the forum rules:

It is inappropriate to promote the use of alcohol or drugs on our addiction recovery forums.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Old 02-12-2019, 01:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=babycat;7122719]I would tend to agree with you Ustacallmelola, although this being a recovery forum I can see why others disagree. I am still very early in recovery from alcohol but I am also a lifelong MASSIVE insomniac. I don't want to take a habit forming prescription and I will often find myself taking more and more zzzquil, advil pm, Melatonin, Unisom, Sominex, Benedryl, everything under the sun.
I don't use marijuana as a means to get high, to party or get crazy. I truly use it for medicinal reasons. I'd honestly prefer not to due to the damn munchies I get if I don't fall asleep quite fast.
Alcohol is/was a problem. I would black out, make an idiot of myself, put myself in dangerous situations, disappoint my family and inevitably would destroy my health. This is not the case with weed. I don't use it every night. My job allows me to sleep pretty late so even if I can't sleep until 6 or 7 in the morning, it is not a big deal. But when I need some help and I don't want to take 5 Advil p.m.'s, marijuana makes sense for me.
I am not trying to promote anything at all here, just that I understand where the OP is coming from.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
From the forum rules:

It is inappropriate to promote the use of alcohol or drugs on our addiction recovery forums.
How am I promoting exactly? I certainly would never recommend anyone else do what I do, and I did not.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Every single problem I ever had with alcohol - obsession, daily use, need to escape, not living up to my responsibilities, living to get wasted, spending all my money on it - I had with pot first.

To me its another leaky boat on the same sea of crud.

I think it's even more insidious that alcohol addiction can be because you're constantly bombarded by the idea its not as bad as other kinds of intoxicants.

As you say, you're gonna do what you're gonna do, and thats your business.

But...this is a recovery site,. and a newcomers forum.

I also moderate another subforum here - dealing with marijuana addiction.
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ana-addiction/

You may not feel you have a problem but others here definitely do.

It would be like me posting in the Substance abuse forum I use codeine (which I sometimes must) and declaring hey, guys - I have no problems!

It wouldn't be appropriate.

I don't see a place for the promotion of pot use here.
Your protestations are noted, but that's exactly what I see you're doing here.

You're promoting pot use over that of alcohol.

Promotion in a marketing sense

inform or persuade target audiences of the relative merits of a product, service, brand or issue.
2. Outside Agendas: No posts of an overtly political or religious nature OR posts promoting advocacy of particular personal, medical, legal, religious, political, or non-profit causes. The forums are intended for offering mutual personal support related to recovery from addiction or recovery for family and friends. This is our primary purpose. Debating controversial subjects should be taken elsewhere. Limited references are allowed, but the forums should not be used to convert others. Do not post content or links or materials to and from sites that flame someone's person, religious beliefs, race, national background, sexual orientation, or recovery program/method. It is inappropriate to promote the use of alcohol or drugs on our addiction recovery forums.
Thread closed.

If you have a problem with my decision, PM me but I'm away for the rest of the day.

Dee
SR

Last edited by Dee74; 02-12-2019 at 01:44 PM.