Notices

Feel so alone

Old 02-12-2019, 09:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feel so alone

I feel this abyss inside me I keep trying to fill. I keep blaming everyone else for my hurt. I don’t know why I keep doing that. I resent people for not giving me love and compassion. I know these are all symptoms of the larger issue. The feelings become overwhelming and I just don’t know where to put them. It’s so scary that I can’t trust my own self. What a terrible, shameful feeling. My family officially knows I have this drinking problem and I feel so exposed and embarrassed. They keep reaching out to my husband to give him support. What about me? Why not reach out to me who clearly needs the voices of support. It feels so dismissive.
I’ve decided to start going to AA meetings, but this has been challenging for me in the past because I get so anxious public speaking, let alone about something I’m ashamed about. Man, the early days are tough.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to Sober Recovery.

Originally Posted by Liveher View Post
I’ve decided to start going to AA meetings, but this has been challenging for me in the past because I get so anxious public speaking, let alone about something I’m ashamed about.
Everyone at AA has been right where you are now. No need to be ashamed. Shame is where the addiction hides.

I think working the steps is exactly what you need to fill that abyss.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Liveher and welcome to SR

Firstly, congratulations on accepting that you have a problem and making it known to those around you that's a massive and difficult step to take, but one of the most important, you should be very proud of yourself. It is going to make you feel exposed to begin with because you have probably been hiding it for some time but you have done the best thing, now you can start to move forward, heal and take control of your drinking.

With regards to your family, perhaps they aren't sure what to say to you just yet and are speaking to your husband believing that it is kinder until they know how they feel and want to proceed. It was probably a shock to them and they will need time to adjust, as will your husband.

Be kind to yourself, alcohol can have all kinds of negative effects on our emotions but it does get better with some sober time under your belt. I don't have any experience of AA but I have seen others say that you don't have to speak if you don't want to.

Well done on taking the first step, there's loads of support here
Old 02-12-2019, 09:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If you're uncomfortable you don't have to share in the beginning of your AA journey. Just say you are there to listen. In fact, I was told to do just that. And for me the shame is in continuing the the cycle of abuse and not trying to break it. No shame in attending meetings and trying to make your first steps towards living in recovery and changing your life. Remember to give yourself a break, and credit for the positive steps you are taking.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope our support can help you get sober for good.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your encouragement and warm welcomes.

It definitely helps to feel less alone and put it in perspective. I think I’m finally ready to take a leap of faith and that although attending AA meetings feels against my nature, it probably does for everyone in the beginning.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Liveher - Many of us have felt the same way you are. You never have to feel alone - I'm glad you found us. Please keep reading & posting - we're here to encourage you. Life is about to get so much better & less stressful.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

When I first started going to meetings I was embarrassed and ashamed and wanted to be ANYWHERE but there and I kept telling myself I was NOTHING like these people. And I wasn't, because I was still very deep into an active addiction cycle and they, for the most part, weren't. My sponsor just celebrated 30 years of sobriety. He had his last drink before I took my first. Today I never walk out of a meeting feeling worse than when I walked in. I always feel better. You're not alone, Liveher.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

You are not alone. We are here for you and I think we all know that feeling. I'm glad that you are taking action in your recovery.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

They keep reaching out to my husband to give him support. What about me? Why not reach out to me who clearly needs the voices of support. It feels so dismissive.
Because those who have to live with the alcoholic are the ones who have had to put up with the insanity and chaos that comes along with putting up with the alcoholic.
The support that you need should be coming from fellow recovering alcoholics who have travelled the road before you. I'm not saying you don't deserve the support of your family, but to call it dismissive smells a little bit like self pity to be totally honest. But that is also a part of early recovery. You'll get there. Just keep moving forward.
In no way to I mean any of this to sound harsh, but early recovery is hard, and the sooner we get honest with ourselves and let people be honest with us, the sooner we can begin to recover.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think I understand that empty abyss. That whole in the soul. The confusion that is created when nothing I do, no drug, no person, no job, no kid, no possessions, ever seem to help fill that hole.

I was always looking in the wrong place. Looking for the external to fill the internal....and of course, when that doesn't work, the resentment that ensues. The frustration of my loved ones, confused themselves. Thinking, I do everything I can to support this person and its never enough. They are still angry. They back off and turn inward. What more can they do?

Its an inside job, or so they say. I don't have a lot of answers, but I know that hole, that abyss that lives inside me is a void only I can properly fill.

Don't worry about talking in AA. Listen. Those folks know the abyss. And they have a lot of guidance on how to fill it....or at least start to.

Hang in there. Each day sober is a victory. Truly.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BlownOne View Post
They keep reaching out to my husband to give him support. What about me? Why not reach out to me who clearly needs the voices of support. It feels so dismissive.
Because those who have to live with the alcoholic are the ones who have had to put up with the insanity and chaos that comes along with putting up with the alcoholic.
The support that you need should be coming from fellow recovering alcoholics who have travelled the road before you. I'm not saying you don't deserve the support of your family, but to call it dismissive smells a little bit like self pity to be totally honest. But that is also a part of early recovery. You'll get there. Just keep moving forward.
In no way to I mean any of this to sound harsh, but early recovery is hard, and the sooner we get honest with ourselves and let people be honest with us, the sooner we can begin to recover.
BlownOne, I couldn’t agree more... I’m definitely bathing in a lot of self pity. I don’t want this to be my MO but it seems to be a default at times. All of the problems and mishaps in my life currently have been 100% caused by me. My family tends to suffer in silence or pretend things didn’t happen and that’s what feels dismissive... since I was a child. However, I think what I keep missing is that the core dismissiveness has been me with myself and not owning my life. I pray that I can overcome this, live with intention and no longer lapse into victim land. Thanks for your words.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
I think I understand that empty abyss. That whole in the soul. The confusion that is created when nothing I do, no drug, no person, no job, no kid, no possessions, ever seem to help fill that hole.

I was always looking in the wrong place. Looking for the external to fill the internal....and of course, when that doesn't work, the resentment that ensues. The frustration of my loved ones, confused themselves. Thinking, I do everything I can to support this person and its never enough. They are still angry. They back off and turn inward. What more can they do?

Its an inside job, or so they say. I don't have a lot of answers, but I know that hole, that abyss that lives inside me is a void only I can properly fill.

Don't worry about talking in AA. Listen. Those folks know the abyss. And they have a lot of guidance on how to fill it....or at least start to.

Hang in there. Each day sober is a victory. Truly.
Thank you so much. I’m finally understanding that I keep looking externally to fill the void and it’s time to learn how to do the inside job. Thank you so much for your helpful words.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You certainly aren't alone in your struggles. Alcoholism is such a lonely condition. I wish I could trade it for some other condition that garners sympathy. Welcome to SR.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Attending AA meeting is a great way to be around other people that will understand what you are going through.
Also, I think it is hard for family and friends to support the alcoholic at first. A lot of feelings get in the way. But I'm sure once they see you are really trying to take responsibility for your drinking and working to stay sober, they will come around. John