Notices

Againnn

Old 02-12-2019, 03:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Againnn

So, I was previously sober for 8 or 9 months. I felt fantastic, but had a whim one day in September 2018 and acted on it. I decided at work I would “just” have a few beers after I got off because I could “control it.” Ya’ll know where this is going..

I go to the gas station, while pumping gas and before I went in to buy the devil water, an ad came up on the tv monitor on the pump. Like a sign from God, it was an ad about the harmful effects of alcohol. I knew it was a sign, but I was so determined that a few beers would’t hurt.

Well, it’s now February. I had 18 beers two nights ago and I have clearly gone out of control..yet again. It’s been 24 hours and I’m not going to drink today. One day at a time right!? Hope all of you are doing well, and never give up the fight!
Old 02-12-2019, 03:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Cool. Time to get back on the sober wagon and live up to your screen name.... One day at a time!

Old 02-12-2019, 03:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's funny how God talks to us if we're only capable of hearing the message. Glad you're back and on a path you want to be on.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

YESSSS! I had so many moments in my last weeks of drinking in which it felt like bigger forces were throwing everything in the road between me and buying a bottle (everything from car trouble to dropping my card at the register, lol!). But, ultimately, it was up to me to let myself succeed at not drinking and not just shrug and give in to it, or fight back against whatever was trying to stop me. I've started leaving my credit cards at home so that "planning on having a few" (like any of us can just have a few and go back to the straight and narrow the next day, but at one point we all think we can!) is not a possibility. I know that's not possible for everyone, but it has taken a bit of the pressure off while I get further away from daily drinking and let my poor body heal.
Good luck! I know you can do this.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

18 beers in a day would be my typical consumption if the opportunity presents itself. I remember drinking a case of 24 by myself once up at a cottage on a lake. The people I was with were shocked. It was over only an 8 hour period or so. I don't know why I couldn't see at the time that I had a serious problem.

We are not normal Soberdude. I am only 11 days sober myself. One day at a time !
Old 02-12-2019, 01:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Originally Posted by TheSoberDude View Post
So, I was previously sober for 8 or 9 months. I felt fantastic, but had a whim one day in September 2018 and acted on it. I decided at work I would “just” have a few beers after I got off because I could “control it.” Ya’ll know where this is going..

I go to the gas station, while pumping gas and before I went in to buy the devil water, an ad came up on the tv monitor on the pump. Like a sign from God, it was an ad about the harmful effects of alcohol. I knew it was a sign, but I was so determined that a few beers would’t hurt.

Well, it’s now February. I had 18 beers two nights ago and I have clearly gone out of control..yet again. It’s been 24 hours and I’m not going to drink today. One day at a time right!? Hope all of you are doing well, and never give up the fight!
Hey TheSoberDude, thanks for your post. That sounds very similar to a relapse I had many years ago in that I planned to have a few drinks at a birthday party hours before the first drink met my lips. One is too many and a thousand never enough. Keep going dude and if one day is too much then try getting by an hour at a time.

Natom
Old 02-12-2019, 01:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're back and ready to work on your recovery. Can you add something to your recovery plan to help you avoid starting to drink again? We're here for you.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My biggest fear is "just a few drinks, I think I can control it now"....

I hope I never act on that thought.