SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   who's gonna save me! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/436257-whos-gonna-save-me.html)

JamesSquire 02-11-2019 10:40 PM

who's gonna save me!

Listened to the video and realised that although there's so much support here but only I can save myself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoQEY2sIMTg

Started thinking maybe a motivational video every time I wake up might help.

I'm more a visual/audio person than a literary.

Does anyone here listen to a motivational video every morning when you wake up?

JS

saoutchik 02-11-2019 11:43 PM

Hi James, good to see you my friend. I am glad you are thinking of ways to beat this thing.

In my last couple of years of drinking I was getting through 375ml of whiskey by myself on a weekday and quite a bit more at the weekends in addition to the beers I would drink with friends. I was so far gone and two huge efforts to quit had only resulted in 17 and 23 days of sobriety. I realised will power was not going to be enough for me and that was frightening, I thought I was going to lose my job and be one of the people that didn't make it.

Desperation made me think. I realised my cravings were not too bad during the daytime, say prior to 5.30pm but became unbearable as the evening wore on. Like you I am not a literary person and I am not temperamentally suited to things like meditation or yoga, nor if i'm honest, AA (though it was helpful)

In the end I did something that basically took the evenings out of the equation for a while. I got up at 5am no matter what and walked and jogged for 90 minutes to begin with and it worked! . After doing a days work along with all other domestic chores like washing, cooking and cleaning I would fall into bed at 9.30 pm and only experience a few minutes of craving compared to a few hours of it.

After 100 days of this going to bed sober was the new normal and I could sleep in a bit later and reduce the time spent exercising.

Doing something like that felt like I was putting something in the bank that I could draw on later in the day when I needed it. Perhaps trying something similar might be worth trying James. Glad you're still posting, you will beat this.

JamesSquire 02-11-2019 11:56 PM

Hi Saoutchick

Yes my friend, missed our conversations. Probably could have had a lot to say about Aussie 'cheats' at cricket in that time.

4 years, since we joined and you've done well.

I'm sure I'll beat this but I need to break my daily habit, which you have touched on.

Hope to have more chats with you, in my new journey in SR

JS

dafunbra 02-12-2019 12:50 AM

I, too, use exercise but I have to do it at night because that's how my schedule works. I do meditate every morning and have a nice little chat with God while I have my coffee. Part of that is I have a couple of daily devotion books, one religious in nature and one not. All of that goes together to center me for the day. I can see how inspirational videos would do much the same. I don't really have cravings but I do fight the AV that tells me to say F it sometimes and to throw in the towel. I haven't been sober this long in probably 25 years. That part feels good, and I don't want to let it go. Whatever works for you to keep you sober is ok by me. Find your path and stay on it and keep going.

Kid50 02-12-2019 01:15 AM

Hi James. I v a similar story to saoutchik s , I get up 7 mornings a week at 7 am and OUT the door for a walk even if it's only 10 minutes it kicks the day off , Walks and some patience get me through the day.

Dee74 02-12-2019 02:53 AM

You are dead right in that while you can find support here and in places like it, none of us can save you, or anyone else for that matter- that's an inside job :)

Its and incredibly worthwhile task tho :)

I daresay motivational videos can be useful - but I still think you need something 'greater than' to get you through when the rubber meets the road and you want to drink.

good luck with finding what that is for you James :)

D