Notices

How to deal with a binge-drinking culture

Old 02-10-2019, 12:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How to deal with a binge-drinking culture

I may have stopped drinking, but alcohol is EVERYWHERE. Bars, restaurants, even some gyms or yoga studios! It is just crazy and it's all to make a buck. I'm also growingly irritated with cups or mugs that say things like "it's not drinking alone if the cat is home!" How do we deal with all this? Alcohol is not healthy- it's addictive and linked to so many kinds of cancer and health problems. It worsens our relationships and our productivity- EVEN at a moderate level! Smoking has decreased dramatically- so why not alcohol? We like to pretend that it's only "alcoholics" that have the problem, as if alcohol were not this incredibly dangerous substance responsible for over 80,000 deaths each year.

Please don't tell me that this is a resentment or that I need to let go of control- I just wonder how you guys deal with this, and how we can face a booze centered world being sober people? I genuinely do not want the future generation to be as booze centered as we are now.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
quat

It's not a booze centric world, it's a world with booze in it. All you have to worry about is keeping booze out of you

In time you won't even notice no pink elephants
Old 02-10-2019, 12:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I felt intensely the same to begin with.
That joke isn’t funny anymore, too close to home too near the bone to quote morrisey
You do desensitise to it after time.
My daughters nursery had champagne out of my well earned money to dish out on parents evening and the nativity. Go figure
Madness .
But I think booze will go the same way as cigarettes.
It’s already had a decline since the media are getting more involved with the no amount of alcohol is safe.

Just got to keep your side of the street clean and see through all the twisted marketing trickery.

Sobriety lets us see things for what they really are.
Count it as a blessing that keeps us fit and well
Old 02-10-2019, 12:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SkyBird View Post
I may have stopped drinking, but alcohol is EVERYWHERE. Bars, restaurants, even some gyms or yoga studios! It is just crazy and it's all to make a buck. I'm also growingly irritated with cups or mugs that say things like "it's not drinking alone if the cat is home!" How do we deal with all this? Alcohol is not healthy- it's addictive and linked to so many kinds of cancer and health problems. It worsens our relationships and our productivity- EVEN at a moderate level! Smoking has decreased dramatically- so why not alcohol? We like to pretend that it's only "alcoholics" that have the problem, as if alcohol were not this incredibly dangerous substance responsible for over 80,000 deaths each year.

Please don't tell me that this is a resentment or that I need to let go of control- I just wonder how you guys deal with this, and how we can face a booze centered world being sober people? I genuinely do not want the future generation to be as booze centered as we are now.
May change someday, but for now — unlikely. It’s romanized and celebrated in most human cultures, even codified into religion.

Personally I deal with it by not passing judgement on people who can drink “normally” or without issue. It would do me no good to snub my nose at society, or to engage is resentment or jealousy. I do see advertisements and celebrations of alcoholic behavior in a different light, though — much as you do.

Not all of it is binge-drinking culture. I do know people who can sip a fine wine on occasion and never over-indulge or get drunk. Great! That’s not me. I’m not built that way. I never have been.

In the same vein I’ve never had an eating disorder or struggled with binge eating to unhealthy levels — many people do. I’ve never had an issue with gambling, despite playing poker. I’ve never been addicted to tobacco despite having smoked cigarettes and cigars in my youth. I’ve never struggled with any other form of addiction.

Just alcohol.

But that is my thing. I can’t control how society views alcohol — I can only control what passes my lips.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I can only control how I react, so just because alcohol is everywhere, doesn't mean I have to drink it.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Alcohol has been around for thousands of years and will continue with us for as long as people wish to alter their consciousness for the reasons that they choose to do so.

I cannot change it that it is part of our world, and while I see other people making the choice to buy and to consume it, I don't really let that register with me any longer. I have a necessity not to drink, and there are many others that do (some not practicing that need), and after a time I no longer feel isolated by my situation. I blithely pass by the booze in the stores, skip the menu sections with libations, and ignore all the sales pitches in the media.

As far as how society at large handles the presence of alcohol, I think more is being done to bring awareness to the harm that substance abuse can bring to the individuals, to families, and to communities, in a more frank way that will potentially make people make different choices and understand the potential perils.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

When I fist quit drinking I saw alcohol everywhere too - but time passed and I noticed it less and less - nowadays people can be drinking in front of me and it doesn't register at all, unless they're obnoxious with it.

so there's that.

I know I know...there is a binge drinking culture among some, mostly young, folks, and it's not hard to find if you're looking for it.

I'm sorry I gave it 20 years of my life.

The 12 years I've been out of it - and embraced the much larger non drinking, or drinking responsibly, population have been wonderful.

D
Old 02-11-2019, 07:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yup, I struggle with it too. My day one, I was driving down the road, trying to be mindful and grateful and not stressed about sobriety, and a truck covered with glossy pictures of tequila bottles drove past. In a five hour drive I probably saw 40+ billboards for liquor stores or wineries. It doesn't make me *want* it more, but it does make it hard to clear from my mind!
I do worry about people who are conditioned to think of alcohol as a tool and a toy. I know that I need to mind my own business, but I also know how I've struggled and wouldn't wish the same on anyone.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I look for the growing number of messages on social media, for example, that are challenging the drinking narrative and habits in our society.

I support and "share" those, particularly because I am completely open about my sobriety.

If something bugs me, whether a (truly, stupid) tee or a mug or the champagne flavored gummies meant as a baby shower gift (sigh)...I dismiss it quickly bc it just doesn't apply to me.

When it's something like finding a makeup insert thing for a product called "Hangover Cure x3" in my 16 yr old stepdaughter's room - that's something worth paying attn to and raising a question about how things are in her social life.

Otherwise, I hope people do evaluate their drinking habits and opinions, and turn the channel when yet another celluloid portrayal of recovery (or, the lack thereof) annoys me
Old 02-11-2019, 09:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

For me, the "alcohol is everywhere/society or culture is to blame" phenomenon was simply my perception - fueled by my addiction. AKA - I was looking for signs from society to tell me that somehow my addiction wasn't my fault. And of course if I would have let addiction have it's way I would have kept blaming my surroundings and kept right on drinking.

Certainly there are parts of our society that promote drinking, but there is also promotion of prostitution, gambling, eating to excess and just about everything that is "bad" for us. Always has been this way, and always will be.

The best way I found to approach it was to involve myself in activities that did not center around drinking. To be quite honest, there are a lot more of them that don't center around it than do. But make no mistake - it's a shift in perception that only we can make for ourselves.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It has really increased in the last decade or so. I even see things like hiking events described as "hiking with beer". Art events "paint with wine". Like....why?
Old 02-11-2019, 10:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WhoDeyPI View Post
It has really increased in the last decade or so. I even see things like hiking events described as "hiking with beer". Art events "paint with wine". Like....why?
Exactly. They've backfired with me... I would consider going to more things if they weren't promoted as activity plus drinking but I'm so tired of that and of not feeling safe that if I want to do yoga I'll do it at home without a pint glass. 🙄
Old 02-11-2019, 11:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I just tune out all of that Madison Avenue advertising and deceptive portrayal of alcohol (in it, on TV and in movies).

Ditto for cigarettes (which were never my thing).

Add to that the glorification of sexual profligacy.

None of it applies to me.

When I see people living a hedonistic lifestyle on TV or in movies, it sure doesn't paint a rosy picture to me.

That nonsense represents my past, not my today and I hope not my future.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yeah alcohol is everywhere and that's just the way it is. Prohibition did nothing but establish organized crime and the illegal drug trade. So, what cha gonna do?

The way to deal with it, if it bothers you, is to stay away from it.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It's a lot less noticeable the more sober time I have.
The fact is I was not drinking like normal people on most occasions. I have absolutely nothing against normal drinkers, so I see the advertising as geared at them, not people like me who can't always control our drinking. I can't be mad at something if it's really me who has the problem.

It's not dangerous if you're a sensible drinker or drink very little in general. Cigarettes however are dangerous regardless of how little or much you smoke. I'm so glad that habit also died when I stopped drinking.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I felt the same way. Then I realized I can’t control others, nor worry about their choices in life—I can only worry and control my life.

Now, when I see stuff like you mention, I don’t give it too much thought.

I’m an alcoholic and choose to live my life sober. Others can live how they see fit!
Old 02-11-2019, 12:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I think that when we first quit, we are obviously coming from a point of frequent contact and engagement with booze retailers, be the clubs and bars or supermarkets and stores. If you drink in company then your companions are doing the same thing. At the point in time that we decide to stop drinking we are intimately connected with the alcohol industry and its users and its sheer ubiquity is striking and we notice the people drinking on the street and we notice the people with the booze at the checkout. We are attuned to this culture.

The good news is that once you have a decent amount of sober time in the bank you begin to notice how most people are not swigging from a can or bottle and most customers do not have skinfuls of booze in their carts or baskets. Most workers do not drink at lunchtimes or straight after work either so it's not all bad news.

That said, education and limitations in the UK (the only place I know well enough to comment on) are a long way from where I think they should be.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SkyBird View Post

I agree its a problem. Dont get me wrong i blame noone but myself for my own issues with drinking, but at the same time it is obervable that alcohol is very imprtant to a lot of people, only some of which are alcoholic.
I see alcoholics as a smaller subset of a larger group of people that do have unhealthy relationships with alcohol and probably drink more that they should.
I do think though there is a large percentage of the population that dont drink or drink very little and i do believe people are waking up to how unhealthy it is. One day it may be viewed like smoking, especially if more studies confirm that thre is no safe amount

My friends these days generally dont drink or drink very little. Its amazing but there is alot to do and experince without alcohol and i dont miss my old life. I have found with time its easier if not to avoid entirelty but to disregard.