Notices

Feeling low

Old 02-09-2019, 08:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling low

I know it's probably because I feel unwell, but I'm so down at the moment. I feel like tears aren't far away at any given point..........
I'm not wanting to drink at all, but I feel so emotional right now. I'm guessing because it's still early days (day 11 ) not sure If me being unwell is attached to giving up alcohol or just a normal persons bug etc......
It's just those feeling of how huge this change will be, from party girl, to sitting at home day after day.
I don't entirely trust myself to go out right now.
I know it will take time, I've had to cut loose all friends attached to my old life. .....which is damn hard. But necessary to get better. Currently sitting sweating feeling sorry for myself .......
Hoping these feelings will go soon......
I have no desire to drink again, I dont think I ever will again, but as always I'm just getting through today......
And that's all i can do. ...maybe I need a good old cry and get it out of my system, I have no family around me, an only maybe 2 friends know of my situation.....
I guess I need a hug and to get it all out..............
Much love to everyone struggling to get through the day
🙏💖
Old 02-09-2019, 08:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Doris, please know that this is completely normal. I felt the same way in the early days of sobriety. For many years I had relied on drinking for entertainment & a way to cope with stress. We're learning to live in a new way, & it takes getting used to. As great as it is to be free of it, we still feel a little disoriented as we make the adjustment to our 'new normal'. You'll go through many phases. You aren't alone. Be proud of that 11 days. You're doing a great thing.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am day 8 and feeling pretty much the same. I am very isolated. My friends/family don't live anywhere near me. I prefer it that way as I battle my alcoholism.

Things will be a little rough for us for a while Doris. In a few weeks, I am sure we will feel a little more positive about things
Old 02-09-2019, 09:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Canuck76 View Post
I am day 8 and feeling pretty much the same. I am very isolated. My friends/family don't live anywhere near me. I prefer it that way as I battle my alcoholism.

Things will be a little rough for us for a while Doris. In a few weeks, I am sure we will feel a little more positive about things
Yeah I'm sure it's because I'm not well at the moment canuck, I try to stay on top, keep positive. Just having an off day I think.
How are you doing? I was worried about you the other day,woke up with you on my mind. You were having a tough time.
You know, all we can do is go with it I suppose.
Wishing you much love 🙏💖
Old 02-09-2019, 09:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Doris, please know that this is completely normal. I felt the same way in the early days of sobriety. For many years I had relied on drinking for entertainment & a way to cope with stress. We're learning to live in a new way, & it takes getting used to. As great as it is to be free of it, we still feel a little disoriented as we make the adjustment to our 'new normal'. You'll go through many phases. You aren't alone. Be proud of that 11 days. You're doing a great thing.
Hevyn, you always make me feel better thank you 🙏💖
Old 02-09-2019, 09:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I remember getting cold like symptoms when I quit and being very emotional.
Hevyn is right in what she says.
You’ll get through the turbulence, just do it a step at a time.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Snowydelrico View Post
I remember getting cold like symptoms when I quit and being very emotional.
Hevyn is right in what she says.
You’ll get through the turbulence, just do it a step at a time.
Thanks snowy, I don't mean to moan on, I think its better if I get it all out,instead of bottling it up. Just gotta ride the waves. Tomorrow is a new day an all that...
I hope your little girl is letting you sleep 😄 or is the iPad still blaring out at silly o'clock...
🙏💖
Old 02-09-2019, 09:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hang in there Doris, the way you currently feel is only temporary, it will pass. It always does. Support to you.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hang in there Doris and trust that it will get better. MUCH better! I remember sitting in my car in the early days after I quit. ... crying my eyes out. I was parked in a supermarket car park and I just felt too ill to go in and do the shopping and everything felt overwhelming and I sat in my car crying for ages. Then I dried my eyes and did the shopping .... avoiding the alcohol aisle obvs.... and I've been taking it one day at a time ever since. And everything is so much better now.... you just need to believe that it will get better Doris. And don't underestimate the impact of being physically unwell... that can lower anyone's mood. My husband is such a cheerful man .... he has the most incredible powers of moderation and he's rational and calm and never gets involved in drama. Ever. I guess opposites do attract Anyway, Mr Cheerful currently has man flu and my goodness .... he is grumpy today. I'm secretly loving being more emotionally stable than he is today ... makes a lovely change. But my point is, illness knocks the wind out of everyone's sails. Look after yourself, keep warm and feel proud of how well you're doing xxxx
Old 02-09-2019, 10:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You’re allowed a moan.
Nowt wrong wi that.
She slept through last night, phew!
All the wrinkles I lost giving up the booze are coming back due to this technological revolution we’re going through. Kids with iPads....taking over ( sounds like a gorillas song)
Old 02-09-2019, 10:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Doris, it takes time to find your balance in sobriety. Everything you are feeling is completely normal. And if you're sick on top of it, that must be miserable. Right now, the best thing you can do is practice radical self-care. Sleep when you need to and can. Eat nutritious food, and treat yourself to whatever else strikes your fancy. Stay well hydrated. Try to get exercise when you are feeling better. Treat yourself like someone recovering from a serious illness, because you are. Go get a pedicure. Go get a massage. When you do those things, it helps to get you to a place of self-love. When you like and love yourself, staying sober is easier. Because would you wish people you care about were miserable with their lives? Of course not. Treat yourself the way you would treat the people you love.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kenton View Post
Hang in there Doris and trust that it will get better. MUCH better! I remember sitting in my car in the early days after I quit. ... crying my eyes out. I was parked in a supermarket car park and I just felt too ill to go in and do the shopping and everything felt overwhelming and I sat in my car crying for ages. Then I dried my eyes and did the shopping .... avoiding the alcohol aisle obvs.... and I've been taking it one day at a time ever since. And everything is so much better now.... you just need to believe that it will get better Doris. And don't underestimate the impact of being physically unwell... that can lower anyone's mood. My husband is such a cheerful man .... he has the most incredible powers of moderation and he's rational and calm and never gets involved in drama. Ever. I guess opposites do attract Anyway, Mr Cheerful currently has man flu and my goodness .... he is grumpy today. I'm secretly loving being more emotionally stable than he is today ... makes a lovely change. But my point is, illness knocks the wind out of everyone's sails. Look after yourself, keep warm and feel proud of how well you're doing xxxx

Thanks Kenton, yeah I think I'm going to take some paracetamols an go to bed, I feel completely washed out. Tomorrow's a new day 🙏💖
Old 02-09-2019, 03:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope tomorrow is better for you Doris

D
Old 02-10-2019, 05:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I had a few days like this—let it out. Be emotional. I feel like I held a lot of stuff in when I was drinking. Once sober, a few weeks in, I was crying in a store. Then in my car. Then for the rest of the day. Came here for support. I let it all come out. I’m getting teary eyed typing this because I think letting all the emotion out was so very needed and important. It’s totally normal. Keep posting and sharing!!!

Last edited by Suzieq17; 02-10-2019 at 05:05 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 02-10-2019, 05:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Not feeling so low today, but still ill, fed up with it now, had a rough night's sleep, not a good patient lol.
Thanks all.🙏💖
Old 02-10-2019, 10:26 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're feeling a bit better.