Notices

Ending a crazy week sober

Old 02-08-2019, 07:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ending a crazy week sober

I nailed an interview for a dream job. I would normally have drunk my nerves away the night before and stumbled a lot more in the interview, but I didn't... I was clear headed and my neck didn't turn that embarrassing lobster red it usually does.
Also, my family is visiting. They're usually a trigger but I've been faithful to my diet and my resolution not to drink.
What makes me want to cry is that I had forgotten how to succeed and it feels so good to have another GOOD day.
Best of luck to everyone this weekend. Let yourself succeed!
Old 02-08-2019, 07:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've heard it said - my worst day sober is far better than my best day drunk.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good for you, Lipstuck!

I'm so happy you refused to cave. Triggers are something to be aware of but not a reason to drink. You did succeed today in more ways than one. I hope you treat yourself extra special this weekend!

Congratulations!
Old 02-08-2019, 09:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
sober style

Sounds like you stuck the sober landing, Lipstuck!
Old 02-08-2019, 10:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

well done and best wishes lipstuck

D
Old 02-09-2019, 03:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lipstuck View Post
I nailed an interview for a dream job. I would normally have drunk my nerves away the night before and stumbled a lot more in the interview, but I didn't... I was clear headed and my neck didn't turn that embarrassing lobster red it usually does.
Also, my family is visiting. They're usually a trigger but I've been faithful to my diet and my resolution not to drink.
What makes me want to cry is that I had forgotten how to succeed and it feels so good to have another GOOD day.
Best of luck to everyone this weekend. Let yourself succeed!

Lipstuck! I love love this post. I picked out my choice parts - good choices, acknowledgement of tough things & realization of the GOOD. Amazing things we find as we get and stay sober.

I had an interview going on 2 wks ago that I felt exactly the way you describe. I was the first interviewee, there were 3 this past week and the agreed follow up is this coming wk. I KNOW I did the absolute best job I could - and, if I'm honest, than I have done in probably 14 years (before the alcohol totally took over). What will happen, happens.

Glad you shared - enjoy your wkd.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing your experiences, Lipstuck.

Getting sober permitted me to become the person (the man, the husband, the friend and the lawyer) I always wanted to be.

Alcohol destroyed the opportunity to achieve these objectives, and my ambitions shifted to more vainglorious goals like money, property and prestige (none of which is inherently bad, of course).

We hope that you continue with your sobriety on a daily basis, as we all do, and that you keep posting on our forums.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you so much, guys. I had so many moments this weekend when I thought about how I would "normally" feel (aka dizzy, sleepy, depressed, sneaking to where the liquor was hidden) and I was so grateful I didn't have to do that awfulness again. Not that there weren't moments when AV was sneaky, but I'm just... done. I'm just done.
August, GOOD LUCK this week!!!!