Notices

Boyfriend still drinking

Old 02-08-2019, 07:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Boyfriend still drinking

Boyfriend is still drinking and I'm struggling to deal with that. He doesn't understand why I have to be sober- he wants me to come out to the bars and just have a drink or two with him without wanting more. I don't know how to explain how I can't do that. He says I'm confident and smart and capable- if only I just tried a little harder, surely I'd be able to moderate. But I don't think I can, and I don't even want to try. It just sucks, because I miss our drinking life together, and so does he.He doesn't miss the sloppy, falling down me- he misses the me that USED to be able to have a few drinks and then go home. Both of us don't understand what changed, and why I can't go back to being that way.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

People that don't have this problem just. Don't. Get. It. They never will. I remember when I was in my early 20s and I knew I was drinking too much, but it was not yet causing any problems and learning about alcoholism. I recall reading that alcoholics cannot drink at all and just scoffing at it. Surely, a drink now and again can't hurt, right? I just did not get it yet. A drink or two just makes me irritated and antsy. I need more. I need that click. So much more pleasant to just not drink. Normies just don't understand.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I’m currently fuming about it being midnight and my boyfriend and his friend expecting me to go buy them beer. I went but staying strong with my water and about to go to sleep because yoga is early tomorrow morning. It makes me question my whole relationship, I’m not going to speak to him tonight.
My advice would be just stay strong. You know drinking is not right for you, it’s like expecting someone with a peanut allergy just to try a little peanut butter. It’s unfair. I feel your pain at this moment, but keep your eyes forward.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are lots of people here who live with a drinking, or even alcoholic, partner.

Its not ideal but support from places like SR helps - noone is alone

In a sense we all live in a world of drinkers,
Its not about them - it's about me.

What might be right for them, is not for me.
What they can put up with as a consequence of drinking , I can no longer put up with.

I have regained my soul and the essential me, and thats not worth losing again at any price.

If that makes me different then vive la différence

D