Notices

Have to stop, trying to slow down

Old 02-07-2019, 08:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Have to stop, trying to slow down

Just trying to find some support, I've drank on and off for years, but the last week I've really sent it hard and have started drinking beers on the the way to work and on my lunch break. I can't even think about eating anything becauase the only thing I feel like I can hold down is beer. I have a doctors appointment tommorrow night, but I'm just trying to survive until then.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know how you feel, man. For me drinking a bottle of wine before my shift I knew wasn't a great idea and sure enough it wasn't a great idea. I survived but I'm gonna need more than that in future. So my plan is going to some meetings. I've just got to.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've been reading the forums here and everyone seems really awesome. I'll try to stay around. I'm glad there are other people that feel the same as me.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The struggle I'm having currently is trying to go to sleep without drinking any more. I feel to anxious to stop drinking but guilty and scared to keep going. I just want to start tomorrow clear headed.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

In order to get sober and feel better, you've got to get thru the 'bumpy' parts. Physical withdrawal is no fun, and can be dangerous. When you see the doctor, ask them for help in getting thru the withdrawal safely. Sometimes meds can be given to reduce anxiety and the risk of seizures.

I hope you can detox safely and get to know the benefits of sobriety.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.
I didn't drink to sleep, I drank to pass out. Got to the point where I was grabbing the leftover beer from the nightstand before I even got out of bed.
I also drank on my way to work and at lunch. Well, I drank whenever I could at the end and it was pretty ugly.

To say I was a bad alcoholic is to put it lightly. I was downright gruesome, living to drink at the end.
I needed help to quit. I couldn't beat thirty years of drinking alcoholicly by myself.
I went to AA and found people just like me. I came here and found the same.
But, it required action. I didn't quit overnight. Not by a longshot. It took a few years, but I'm thick headed and a slow learner, I guess.
I've now been sober ten years.
You've found a great place for support, so please stick around.
You CAN quit.
Go to the doctor and be totally honest about your drinking. Don't worry, they've heard it before. Get it off your chest and get help.
You'll find that one facet here, so stick around.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Utahman and welcome to the forums. Early days can be rough, just try to hace the long game in your head and see it through. It does get easier.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Utahman

Look, it's not fun to withdraw but seeing a Dr is a good step. The insomnia is pretty common too - but it will get better night by night - should not take too long to find a natural sleep rhythm again,

I drank for years - took me about 10 days last time
Old 02-07-2019, 10:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It’s time to get off the not so merry go round.
The drinking only gets worse.
Tel the doc all about it.
Credit to you for seeing the changes in yourself and acting on it by making the doctors appointment.

Stay close to this site for support it’s a really friendly place with wise people brimming with knowledge

Good luck
Take care
Old 02-08-2019, 01:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

You're not alone and things will get better once you knock the alcohol on the head. The exact same thing happened to me too, I was so surprised but one lunchtime I went out and bought a miniture vodka to down in one whilst at work...I couldn't believe I had done that?!?!? Then I started picking up wine on the way home and pouring a full glass into a thermos and drank it on the way home too. I knew this was not right but I continued to do it and didn't actually quit until 5 years later. If you have the awareness now then act on it and don't wait another 5 years like I did, so much else went wrong for me in that time all down to drinking.

Keep strong, get to the Dr's and keep close to SR. It's a great community and keeps me honest and sane, great advice, lovely people and everyone understands and doesn't judge. You can do this xx
Old 02-08-2019, 02:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by UtahMan2 View Post
The struggle I'm having currently is trying to go to sleep without drinking any more. I feel to anxious to stop drinking but guilty and scared to keep going. I just want to start tomorrow clear headed.
I felt exactly this way. It was terrifying to think of stopping- yet I desperately wanted to...
As least said - but in my own words, we have to go thru the sh*t that comes with stopping. Stopping completely.

Glad you are going to the dr and hoping you CHOOSE to quit.

Stay with us.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I never drank before or during work....but did have time where I had thought about doing it.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I don't envy your situation, but I've been there so I know what you're dealing with. Detox and withdrawal are no fun, but its the first step. its tough to get a handle on the monster unless your body is clean from alcohol and its effects and your mind is clear.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:19 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum UtahMan!!
Old 02-08-2019, 06:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You absolutely can do this!! Stick with us and reach out to others. You don’t have to do this alone. You will never regret getting sober, that is a promise!!
Old 02-08-2019, 07:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Utahman, thank you for this forum. It really brings out the alcoholics I find relatable. I was on a natty daddy cycle, I don’t know at what time it would start; night, morning or midday, but when it did, this young professional would do the tall boy 2,2,3,1. 2 in the morning, 2 at lunch, 3 after work, 1 before 2am. That’s close to 4 ~ 4% beers each. I would sit in my bed, wreaking of some weird scent, detoxing, dying. I really felt my mind deteriorating and my relationships alike. It’s always embarrassing showing up to the gas station at 6:59am to buy booze, when you were just having a drunk conversation with him buying booze at 1:59am. Having to let the person behind you go ahead because you’re too early for the computer ~ no need to worry though! Now you have time to set the fist clenched tallboys down to prep for inserting your chip without minimal shakes. What card should you play? Focus not on the shakes? Grab your wrist and try to stable your other hand? Blame it on being dehydrated? That was my life in a vicious cycle. It was sick, from 18-28. I’m like 8 months in. I don’t do any program. I just felt my mind deteriorating, I was a mess. I am a medical marijuana patient so I can’t say I’m sober but man my life has 180’d. All things that are bugging me atm are in my control. No more smelling like formaldehyde and body twitching. What you’re doing is not normal. What I was doing is not normal.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:59 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well, my doc admitted me to the ER because my blood pressure readings from withdrawal were so off the charts bad. Luckily EKG, blood work and xrays didnt show anything scary. But damn, I'm glad I got here before something bad happened. Still waiting to be discharged and start the sober journey. Thanks for all the kind support.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

How did your doctor appointment go? How are you doing today?
Old 02-08-2019, 09:17 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
How did your doctor appointment go? How are you doing today?
Just got home, had to get some iv fluids and tests done. Got some medication to help with withdrawal symptoms for the next 5 days or so, I just hope they actually work. Ativan it's called I believe.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:27 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by UtahMan2 View Post
Just got home, had to get some iv fluids and tests done. Got some medication to help with withdrawal symptoms for the next 5 days or so, I just hope they actually work. Ativan it's called I believe.
I am sure it will work as long as you work with it. There is no miracle cure to sobriety, it takes willpower, commitment and strength.

Glad you got the help you need, the rest is up to you!

Take care.