Notices

Day 10 blues

Old 02-08-2019, 01:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 10 blues

Day 10 and I feel low. I feel irritable, alone, sick (physically sore and unwell) and embarrassed of all of my stupid choices.
I haven't told anyone I'm making this big shift as I'm not prepared for the comments and non support. Am not actually convinced I can, will or even want to do this but I do recognise that I've done a lot to hurt myself in the last two decades that wouldn't have been done under the influence.
I'm not enjoying my negative attitude, lack of energy and apologise fully for the big moan. Anythung I read says I should be feeling wonderful and the opposite is true.
Did I mention I fee fat too. Gah!
Old 02-08-2019, 02:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am on day 7 and feel just as crap as you. Lots of misery to go around between us!
Old 02-08-2019, 03:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hang in there it will get better.

I felt crap for the first few weeks. I nearly quit so many times and drank because I couldn't see the point.. but I'm so glad I didn't. Everything I read as well people were talking about their amazing changes and I felt awful still. Sobriety isn't all sunshine and roses but for me it's far better than the alternative.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Keep reading and keep posting. Let it out.

You might enjoy reading and posting in the "Class" of February 2019 thread - for people in new sobriety.

Here, link:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ad-pt-1-a.html

My first month sober was pretty miserable. I was all over the place emotionally, I had trouble sleeping, I cried ten times a day, you name it. Day Nine was the worst day I had in all of early sobriety. I just could not get control of myself, my emotions, my thinking.

It gets so much better. Hang on, it's worth it.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Moan away that's what we are here for, everybody recovers at a different rate and there's nothing to say that you should be full of energy and singing as soon as you get out of bed, I didn't. Just be kind to yourself and remember that you are doing an amazing thing
Old 02-08-2019, 03:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome stardaisy

I think you're experiencing what most of us have experienced - its hard.

I've never actually read anything that suggests you should be feeling wonderful in early recovery

But support does help - and things do get better
I'm glad you've found us

D
Old 02-08-2019, 04:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Stardaisy. I hear you. I'm on day 10 too and feeling kind of lousy. I made it to 100+ days and then had a relapse. The relapse made me realise how much better I feel even when I'm feeling bad. As long as I'm sober, I'm ok. Hang in there and keep posting. We can do this together.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Stardaisy, it's hard going through those early days and it's often a struggle. And, yes, it's hard accepting the things we did while drinking. I didn't tell anyone when I decided to stop drinking either. I just knew I had to do it and it became a very personal journey. I suspect you will begin to feel better physically and mentally soon.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Canuck76 View Post
I am on day 7 and feel just as crap as you. Lots of misery to go around between us!
DITTO! Day 4 (almost 5) and feel like crap too! I am trying to be gentle with myself and allow myself to rest, eat whatever I want, just chill and watch TV and avoid stress!
Old 02-08-2019, 04:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Stardaisy, it's hard going through those early days and it's often a struggle. And, yes, it's hard accepting the things we did while drinking. I didn't tell anyone when I decided to stop drinking either. I just knew I had to do it and it became a very personal journey. I suspect you will begin to feel better physically and mentally soon.
I am on day 39 (quit on January 1) and it took me around day 21 to feel more energy and stop crying. Everyone's body is different. But I know by day 10, I was still very lethargic and withdrawing.

I too have a lot of regret about twenty-years of heavy, daily drinking. I'm still trying to process through the guilt and sense of lost time. But I do feel so much better on day 39 than on day 10. The changes are subtle and gradual. Sobriety is not a drug. For those of us on this site, I imagine that we needed and craved immediate gratification in many ways. All I know is the feelings of joy, sensation, and clarity that I have experienced after 39 days far outweighs the quick fix run.

Hang in there. Your body is processing the change. The lousy feeling will pass.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It's normal to feel crappy in early recovery. It will get better, the longer you're sober.

The one thing I started doing to bolster my recovery was to practice gratitude every day. Even just one thing I was grateful for - no matter how big or small. Practicing gratitude made me happier too. Give it a try.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/o...pier.html?_r=0
Old 02-08-2019, 05:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I wasn’t feeling great the first couple of weeks after I quit, and I was kind of annoyed and frustrated about how some things were going personally and professionally in my life. What helped me was going to some therapy and also focusing 100% on my sobriety. By 12 weeks, though, I was feeling a lot more like myself. I found posting here a lot really helped me to keep that focus I needed to get sober. Hang in there and understand we’re here for you🙂

Nearly 18 months now for me and I’m very happy I made the choices I did back in September 2017.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Addy47 View Post
DITTO! Day 4 (almost 5) and feel like crap too! I am trying to be gentle with myself and allow myself to rest, eat whatever I want, just chill and watch TV and avoid stress!
Yep day 11 here, I feel rough, whether it's attached to giving up alcohol or not, i feel rubbis. But I still dont want to drink 🙌. Much love to everyone struggling, we can get through this together 🙏💖
Old 02-09-2019, 07:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

What you're going through sounds normal for a lot of people in early recovery. You're still learning to adjust to circumstances in your life instead of turning to the bottle as a way of coping.

When I was drinking I didn't see how I'd ever get adequate sleep without the help of alcohol, socialize without alcohol, put up with certain people/problems without alcohol...etc.
In time I learned to deal with these challenges creatively, which I never would have done if I kept using alcohol as the only solution to everything.
You may also have some withdrawal symptoms, physical and psychological, making it harder. Those will go away eventually.