Notices

Triggering TV

Old 02-07-2019, 12:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Triggering TV

I'm actually celebrating about a month sober. Woohoo! I don't really like to celebrate milestones, especially this early since I've been here before, but it felt like the right intro.

Anyway, am I the only one who finds tv or movies where people are drinking triggering? I am less concerned with my friends or family drinking and having a good time around me, but maybe it's the "glamour" of seeing a party on tv and it makes me want that. I know that's so obviously a facade (just like much of the fun is a facade in real life, ignoring all the negative), but it sill is probably the biggest thing that makes me miss alcohol.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm the same - I find it very triggering to the point I have to turn it off. also when I'm reading a book and it talks about someone having a glass of wine. It distresses me

I tell myself that all the beautiful women drinking wine every night on TV dramas - it's acting. They look so good because they are probably tee total!
Old 02-07-2019, 01:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's not really wine! They're drinking soda or juice! I keep telling myself that. Not only is it true but it puts my AV in its place.

When I was young it wasn't even legal to show people acting like they were drinking alcohol on TV. Cigarettes were okay, though.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes definitely! And it sounds insane but intervention episodes are super triggering to me
Old 02-07-2019, 01:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I used to get triggered, but now I only watch the odd film here and there. Amazing how messages are put into TV.
I read a great book a while ago called "Propaganda" by Edward Bernays. Published in the late 20's, it's an eye-opening read of how propaganda took route and how marketing took off using the techniques. Mainly focused on how motor companies used to compete, you start to look around and try and find hidden messages in innocent looking advertisements and the like.

It certainly made looking at the BBC news page more interesting, and you could almost predict what the news would be the following week just by picking the day's news apart and working out people’s agendas. Very frightening really, as a lot of people believe what they see and read through so called trusted sources.

If you can find a copy, I'd recommend reading it. It's on Amazon.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I find them vexing because they often get recovery wrong, if it is addressed, and find myself "picking out" who should get sober

Over time diff kinds of drinking in the celluloid world has bugged me a little - for example, I LOATHED A Star is Born. Like, felt dead inside after and had very little comment bc IMO, bradley cooper's character did not try to get sober. Not to get sidetracked and start a debate on that - my point is that stuff resonates good or bad with each of us, and if something bugs me, I turn it off.

And while once upon a time I drank like Olivia Pope and lived on popcorn as well, it's not my thing now. I do, however, like the political dramas from the West Wing to Madam Secretary, and find myself observing with admiration how one or two scotches on the occasion is the Presidential norm. So it seems on TV.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't get "triggered" to drink, but kind of the opposite. Being a country boy from North Carolina, everything kind of revolves around drinking. You go out boating, and drink. You have a bonfire, and drink. You have a pool party, and drink. You go camping.....well you get the point.

So basically I found a guilty pleasure on the CMT channel called "Party Down South". The show is utter rubbish, but it's a country-like version of Jersey Shore. They chug beer, they party, they do nonstop shots. I kind of "live through them".
Old 02-08-2019, 05:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
It's not really wine! They're drinking soda or juice! I keep telling myself that. Not only is it true but it puts my AV in its place.

When I was young it wasn't even legal to show people acting like they were drinking alcohol on TV. Cigarettes were okay, though.
Good point. Talk about illusions.

Yes I get triggered by those things. I'm more often triggered by everyday people I know drinking but everyone is different and I think it's important for each of us to identify them and take responsibility as much as we can to deal with them, even if that means leaving.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Though there are the odd programmes that are anti-drinking. The walking Dead for example (One of my favorite shows ever). Has many episodes wher alcohol is frowned on, and it's made to look like the crappy poison it is, and always gets someone into trouble.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

All I watch on TV is true crime and sports.

No drama or weekly series (that my wife dutifully follows from year to year).

So I don't see any glamorization of drinking, except for commercials, which are, of course, created by Madison Avenue marketing firms and highly deceptive.

When I was drinking, certainly at the end of my crinking career, all I had in my life were problems (spouse, boss, clients, bankers, etc.).

There were no beach parties and parasailing with 20 year old gals.

Just me in a tavern with a bunch of other alcoholics.