Notices

Coffee and liver disease

Old 02-06-2019, 08:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Coffee and liver disease

I have read so many articles on the benefits of coffee and liver disease. I have always drank a lot of coffee in my adult years! They say drinking coffee could reduce your chances of cirrhosis by 70%. Luckily, I never turned yellow and think I kicked the habit before becoming dependent or completely destroying my liver. Just wondering if my coffee habit may have helped. Also, there seems to be a trend that many recovering alcoholics love their coffee!! I say drink up and enjoy that morning brew!!
Old 02-06-2019, 09:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

ive had 2 cups of coffee in my life. before i went in for chemo i had to have my liver function tested. 23 years of drinking and my liver was functioning perfectly.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for that.
I drink twelve cups a day!
Old 02-06-2019, 09:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I drink 6 a day
Old 02-06-2019, 10:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Maybe I need to take up a coffee habit. I'll do my research. Turning yellow was a big buzzkill.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's not that great for blood pressure or anxiety...so there's that.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WhoDeyPI View Post
Maybe I need to take up a coffee habit. I'll do my research. Turning yellow was a big buzzkill.
Were you a coffee drinker in the past? Research it, there seems to be antioxidants and benefits to the liver!
Old 02-06-2019, 10:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
It's not that great for blood pressure or anxiety...so there's that.
I agree. I wouldn't recommend coffee to the newly sober.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AmbyMarie View Post

Were you a coffee drinker in the past? Research it, there seems to be antioxidants and benefits to the liver!
It really depends. When my office assistant kept the Keurig stocked, I drank it like a fish. When it's not stocked, I'm all water all the time.

I'm not yellow anymore, I was only yellow for like 4 days....weird.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I drink a lot of coffee, have since my late teens. I like really strong, dark, rich black coffee. I have no idea if that was part of it, or just genetics or just plain luck, but after a 20+ year drinking career my liver is working just fine. I used to drink a couple of pots a day, maybe 20 cups or so. Now with the Keurig I fill my mug three or four times, but each fill is 16 ounces. So whatever that equates to. I just like coffee.

This doesn't have anything to do with recovery, but when I started this job I got a Thermos brand coffee mug because I had to be able to completely close it. I LOVE this thing. I can put coffee in it and literally have to be careful 3 hours later not to burn myself. It rocks.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I drink a lot of coffee and have an espresso press in my kitchen. Didn’t stop my liver from going sideways.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I used to drink a lot of coffee around 9 years ago, but it played havoc with my anxiety and also hurt my stomach, so these days I have maybe one or two iced coffees a month if that. I find that a lot of people I know who quit alcohol tend to delve into other habits like eating loads of chocolate, smoking more, drinking tons of coffee. Seems they just swap one evil for a lesser evil.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I drink 2 - 4 cups on some days.

Others, none.

But I drink many, many diet soft drinks everyday.

And a lot of sparkling water (e.g. Perrier) and other sugar-free flavored sparkling drinks.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Some people will say coffee can be just another crutch or addiction, as can smoking or anything else. People have given me heat for it. Those in and out of recovery. My answer always is maybe it is another crutch. But this one doesn't make my life unmanageable. Good enough for me.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I really like coffee, have since I was in my teens. Drinking two 20 cup pots was too much, in my opinion, and I cut that back. But I get up early, and I LOVE having that first big, strong cup of coffee in the dark when the house is quiet and I'm one with God doing my meditations and centering for the day. And I have had zero adverse consequences from coffee. On days I don't have any I don't get headaches, which I've heard can happen. I don't consider it a crutch, more like a treat or guilty pleasure. And again, no consequences and I'm not dependent on it so I don't worry about it.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My morning coffee . . . enjoying it without a hangover . . .

. . . is almost a spiritual experience these days!!
Old 02-06-2019, 05:36 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I used to love coffee - up until the last year or so of drinking daily. I stopped having my morning coffee and started drinking earlier.
About 2 weeks into sobriety, I actually started to want a cup of coffee in the morning. It feels good to sit with my hubby and share our morning coffee. It honestly feels good- much better than an early vodka drink. And if it is good for the liver, all the better!
Hope