Notices

Is their a silver lining in alcoholism? A gift if you will?

Old 02-05-2019, 07:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is their a silver lining in alcoholism? A gift if you will?

I was a binge drinker for 14 years, heavy weekend party drinker who only had long sober bouts during my 2 pregnancies. I quit last year at 35 after I realized that my “binges” were definitely more frequent and the last couple of years, I was binging on 2 bottles of wine 2-3 days per week and blacking out. Yuck. I was feeling horrible most every day and knew my physical and mental health were absolutely taking a big hit. I got sober and never looked back. Upon reflection and instead of just feeling immense guilt and shame for my drinking years, I wonder if there is a way to focus on the silver lining of alcoholism. In a way, I appreciate the simple pleasures of life that maybe some recovering addicts take for granted. I feel an inner strength and determination and see my rise from the Hell that I was living in almost every single day in the end. I learned new coping mechanisms to live with life’s stresses and learned a hell of a lot about myself in the process, a lot of self reflection and self discovery. I realize that alcoholism really isn’t any “gift”, and it’s devastating the havoc it wrecks on so many lives. But I do believe there is something to be said of coming out the other side and getting away from alcohol’s grasp before it absolutely takes us away. It makes us survivors of this horrible disease and at least for me, it makes me appreciate life more. Almost like I’m reliving and learning everything again. Like a rebirth and time spent with loved ones is more cherished, waking up every day feeling well rested a treat, and intimate relationships feel more amazing and carefree and honest. I am trying to move on to the acceptance part of my alcoholism and no longer wish to dwell on anger, anxiety and shame. Being in recovery is everything to me, and I have an overwhelming desire to help others suffering from the overwhelming obsession with the deadly bottle. Maybe my insight and story can inspire others and help them escape the torture alcohol brings, and if I can support even just one person who wants to come to the other side to lifelong recovery, I will feel fulfilled.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Mine is this: if I hadn't been day drinking and gotten drunk off my sloppy a** over Thanksgiving break one year, we would never have had our precious, amazing son, who is the light of our lives. I'll always regret how long I tranquilized myself with it, but will allow that sometimes beauty grows from ashes.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes absolutely, I agree. And congrats on the sobriety.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

AmbryMarie,
Your post reads like the Preface of a great novel!
Have you considered writing a book! I am not joking. I really enjoyed your post!
You already have a great title in the name of the thread!
Old 02-05-2019, 08:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Can you imagine my befuddlement when I went to one of my first AA meetings and an old timer said this:

"My name is Jose and I'm a grateful alcoholic".

Grateful alcoholic? Ok these people really are off their rockers...

It didn't make any sense to me at the time but I understand perfectly what it means now. If it wasn't for my addiction I wouldn't be blessed with this life that has exceeded every expectation in a big way.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChloeRose63 View Post
AmbryMarie,
Your post reads like the Preface of a great novel!
Have you considered writing a book! I am not joking. I really enjoyed your post!
You already have a great title in the name of the thread!
Thank you Chloe!! I’ve actually always wanted to write a book!! I started a novel a couple of times, but drinking preventing me from ever having the motivation to finish🙄. Maybe this can be my new sober activity! Much more rewarding than having the neck of a bottle in my mouth to pass the hours away!
Old 02-05-2019, 12:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I think coming out of an addiction gives experiences that you can't get in any other way. I think I'm a stronger person for getting sober than I would have been if I'd never drank or drugged. The silver lining can't be had until you stop.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Being an alcoholic is the best thing that ever happened to me. Without it I would not have the life I do now.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think there is a silver-lining somewhere. Made me realize a lot about myself. I figured out that I suffered social anxiety as a child/teen. Alcohol was a magic potion for that until it turned into an addiction. Also, my alcoholism eventually landed me in rehab where I finally was diagnosed with ADHD. However, then I fell into a sort of mourning about all the lost opportunities and failures. Turned back to booze and abused my adhd drugs to cope. This is my 2nd epiphany now. Still trying to figure stuff out but I do know that my alcoholism was the catalyst to find my deeper issues. Many people go through life without addressing or acknowledging their issues. My recently deceased mother was in denial her whole life about her alcoholism and other issues she held tight. I think she drank during her pregnancy with me etc.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Even when I put on the rose-tinted glasses of nostalgia I find it difficult to pinpoint precise things that I'd consider positive from my addiction. However, from a general point of view I believe that we all gain positive factors from our addictions although it's hard to identify them sometimes.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Now that someone mentioned a book...it would be interesting if there was a book of different views of recovery. I'm sure such a thing exists, just like a collaboration of a bunch of recovering "alcoholics" and their unique views, stories, and mindsets.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Lovely post Amby thank you and I agree 100%, surviving alcoholism gives you an appreciation for life that I think might be missed otherwise.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Adventurer

The Silver lining is I am now aware of what is going on around me.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you for this lovely and inspiring post. I am three weeks sober today, and I can see the beginning of this silver lining. I am grateful for my addiction and this wonderful opportunity to truly transform my life. I don't think most people get to really change. If I stay sober, I can experience something genuinely miraculous.

Congratulations on your choice and your decision to find acceptance.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Victory is sweetest when you’ve known defeat.
— Malcolm Forbes (1919-1990)
Old 02-05-2019, 04:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

This is a great post and I also completely agree that my alcoholism has given me my life back. Alcoholism brought to a point that was black and white. I either quit entirely or I continue to cycle through the hell that is binging, quitting, binging, quitting.
If I was able to even feel just the tiniest speck of the pleasure that I used to get from drinking then I would never have quit. I would still be a barely functioning alcoholic.
I now live alcohol free and I am so plugged in to life. No escaping chemically. Enjoying the natural fulfillment of life like I never thought I would be able to if it wasn't for this very profound disease.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

the climb out of addiction is “the hero’s journey” if there ever was one.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I definitely think there's a lot of benefits to living in recovery, and I wouldn;t be in recovery without the alcoholism so...

I can never not take responsibility for the bad old days...but I prefer to focus on the recovery tho

I'm less quick to anger, more responsible, more open minded, more decisive, more compassionate and way more motivated and driven than I was as a drinker.

I think I'm a better friend,ad person and I know I'm a better partner and musician

I look forward to every new day - I could never say that as a drinker - and whereas I used to strive to get wasted...now I strive to make a difference

D
Old 02-05-2019, 09:06 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting, for me stability is a gift, a hard days work sober, a hard workout, having healthy food, getting errands done, it’s all no longer boring but a victory and I take pride in it all
Old 02-06-2019, 01:10 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I believe recovery from addiction makes us humble people. .