Notices

wpainterw Bill Painter

Old 02-07-2019, 02:03 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Chic - Thank you so much. Very meaningful for me right now. Touching and comforting.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:34 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

I was so happy to find it. I have cataloged emails from people, and found them today. he wrote others as well, but he was so modest about his talents and was always so eager to help others. A brilliant man.
Miss you Bill.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:04 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

I am starting to go through my emails from Bill....it took me a bit... s

This is a photo of a dog he loved years ago called Nika, and his beloved lilies...his favourite flowers.

Old 02-08-2019, 01:10 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

I read that poem yesterday, and it truly made me cry. Thank you for sharing that photo, Suze.xx I looked up Casablanca lillies yesterday - I didn't know what they were - we call them something else here (the name escapes me), but I often buy them. Their scent is amazing.

That picture was beautiful. I looked at it knowing how much joy Bill must have had, It was like seeing life through his eyes, and coupled with the poem, was lovely. Thank you both for sharing.

Bill reminded me a little of my grandmother. Very smart, and you could see he was getting bothered by the relentlessness of getting old, but tried to show restraint in complaining about it. It is a comfort that he was ready, but I particularly feel for his wife.

It is sad when people die young, and to live a long life is seen as a blessing. But I do think old age can become very lonely and isolating for those who wish they could still be as vital as they were in their younger years. I'm grateful Bill really wanted to connect and made it a mission to be computer savvy and share what he did. A lovely legacy.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:19 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

thanks Suze for sharing that lovely photo! His favorite things. What a lovely man he was.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:45 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Yes....and I was thinking about what CW said.

Bill did something truly remarkable....he moved with the times, and because of this he was indeed able to be incredibly prolific and he shared so much with so many of us...and made some of us his friends....he was tortured and brilliant and sweet and wonderful and full of love...so full of love.

I will share more....just going a bit at a time because there has been a lot of emotion lately and hey, I am an alcoholic....I need to look after myself. xx
Old 02-08-2019, 02:57 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by Calmerwaters View Post
I'm grateful Bill really wanted to connect and made it a mission to be computer savvy and share what he did. A lovely legacy.
That is a very good point Calmerwaters, Bill was exceptional in that respect. I'm 58 myself now and reading that about Bill is a good prompt to myself not to let certain technologies, or at least certain media platforms pass me by.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:00 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Yes Sao love....don't let any of it pass you by....I am not....I self-trained in EVERYTHING I know....and I am darned proud of it....56 in 2 days....gulp....scary....but going strong in the modern world.

Old 02-09-2019, 06:24 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I miss Bill. I miss his posts and his presence. I hope he's found Jack and is petting him for me.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:44 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

I bet he is, least.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:09 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Thanks Sao and thanks for the link Dee.

I dont know how i missed Dear Bills passing but he came into my thoughts often.

I really appreciate it when someone posts in memory of a wonderful SR member.

Xx
Old 10-18-2019, 07:11 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Having said that, does anyone know where Ipanema is ? I miss her & have done for a long time xxx
Old 10-18-2019, 07:20 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

When I first joined SR in 2016, Bill and I PMd. I’m very into the neuroscience of addiction. His explanations of the brain chemistry and addiction really helped me. I was shocked when I discovered his age! He was a very special person indeed. I no longer have the PMs, but I’ll try to dig out his online post, that prompted me to contact him by PM in the first place, which began our exchange. Rest in Peace, Dear Bill, you were (are) an extraordinary person.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:21 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

As Yogi Berra might say, "I don't want to be reading a post like this about me some day!"
Old 10-18-2019, 01:20 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Oh my, I was just thinking about Bill yesterday! Thanks for bumping this thread, Snoozy.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:51 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
orangutan

I have only just now found this thread , I have wondered where Bill was . Very sad news .
Old 10-19-2019, 06:49 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tatsy View Post
When I first joined SR in 2016, Bill and I PMd. I’m very into the neuroscience of addiction. His explanations of the brain chemistry and addiction really helped me. I was shocked when I discovered his age! He was a very special person indeed. I no longer have the PMs, but I’ll try to dig out his online post, that prompted me to contact him by PM in the first place, which began our exchange. Rest in Peace, Dear Bill, you were (are) an extraordinary person.

That would be great thanks Tasty.

You're welcome Aussie xx
Old 10-19-2019, 08:30 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

This is the first I’ve heard of Bill but this thread really solidified a feeling I’ve developed throughout my long and winding road of recovery. The affliction of addiction and the process of recovery are not all bad. If not for our addictions, a lot of us would not go through the process of learning more about who we are. We would not take the time to be kinder to ourselves, to examine how we treat ourselves and how we treat the world. Some of us would have continued to live life without spirituality or a sense of purpose. Some of us would have never seized the opportunity to grow. And a lot of the people on this board would have never met Bill and been touched by his seemingly kind and profound soul.

So sometimes when I’m feeling sorry for myself or sitting in a meeting wondering why God cursed me, I do remind myself that if not for my addiction I may not have been provided this incredible opportunity for growth.

RIP to Bill. Condolences to all who were touched by his loss. And prayers to you all in the arduous path of recovery. It is worth it.
Old 10-19-2019, 08:41 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I am touched and heartened that so many people responded to this thread.
Old 10-19-2019, 06:07 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Its a beautiful thread Saoutchik. So respectful & thoughtful.
Its nice to relive the joy of members passed, that have imparted their wisdom upon us and stamped a place in our hearts.

Grtgrampa did that for me. I missed him terribly when he left us.
He treated me like a daughter. ( he lost his own daughters through alcoholism )
They were around the same age as me .

He always made me feel special, bless his little cotton sox.

BeABetterMan . I just love your post, it really made me think . How true.
Thanks for that

Xx