Notices

wpainterw Bill Painter

Old 02-02-2019, 05:37 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I was just reading the Deeply Depressed thread that Bill started. He posted not long before he passed. Everyone was a wonderful help to him. I'm so glad he found some comfort by sharing his fears with his friends here.
Old 02-02-2019, 06:23 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I was worried that was why he wasn't posting, that is the hardest part of this site. We don't know when something happens to someone. Bill was such a kind soul, and always so supportive to everyone on this site.
Old 02-02-2019, 06:27 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

One of the things I so appreciated about Bill's posts was his willingness to share so openly, especially about his depression and his struggles with aging. Even though I didn't "know" him, I felt connected to him here. He was so kind and thoughtful. Even though he was very accomplished in life, and had a lot of sober time, he was so humble and kind to newcomers. I will miss him.
Old 02-02-2019, 06:51 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

That is sad news, I remember being awestruck when I found out his sober time. He was so kind and gentle, I hope he's at peace x
Old 02-02-2019, 07:07 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

This is sad. I’m grateful for having crossed his path in this way.
Old 02-02-2019, 07:30 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Very sad news - I feel fortunate that he shared so much of his wisdom here.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:37 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
~sb

Bill is at peace, I am certain of this and I hope he knows how many people he really has helped by posting here at Sober Recovery. R.I.P. Bill, your kind soul has touched my life positively and you are missed. Knowing you was beautiful. I hope I make it to 91!
Old 02-02-2019, 09:25 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Although sad news, thank you Sao for posting on this.

Bill was truly inspirational and formed special relationships of support with a number of members. He will be sadly missed.

Here is an extract from a post I made on 19 July 2017, in response to a thread called (more or less) “Thinking of W Painter”, by Meravigliosa:

Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock View Post
Mera, thank you very much for this thread.

Bill, I have not shared anything with you directly, but now want to say that you are a true inspiration! I have seen that you have supported so many people - relentlessly - such as Mera and Aiko. Thank you so much for that.

One would have thought that with so much sobriety under your belt, you might simply have gone on with your life and considered your job done, but no, you keep giving! That is wonderful!

I wish you, your wife and dog all the best and hope to be seeing many more of your posts.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:55 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

On a lighter note, in response to this thread and Sao’s opening post I did my own bit of Internet research. The following is an extract from Wikipedia and I wonder whether it might relate to one of dear Bill’s ancestors:

William Painter (November 20, 1838 – July 15, 1906) was an Irish mechanical engineer, inventor and the founder of Crown Holdings, Inc., a Fortune 500 company. He most notably invented the crown cork bottle cap and bottle opener.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:05 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

No, oh no.

RIP dear Bill.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:26 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Very sad news. A true gentleman that will be greatly missed.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:08 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Very sad news. Thanks for posting it saout. Rip bill and thanks.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:48 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Oh this is just so sad to find out. I was going to say devastating, but no, at his age, with his long term sobriety it is not devastating- he lived a wonderful life with many wonderful years of sobriety. He was such a special man and so, so kind to all of us. He was particularly thoughtful with me, such a huge source of support. We exchanged so many nice messages, he loved it when I would send him pictures of particular places and buildings here in my town, famous sites having to do with some of his beloved literary figures. He often said how much he would like to come visit but was concerned about the long flight at his age. What a wonderful opportunity that would have been to meet such a special man.
I will really, really miss him and all of his thoughtful contributions here.
Thanks Sao for your research and for posting.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:54 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear of his passing. Even tho we never directly interacted, I read alot of his posts. He had alot of wisdom and compassion. An accomplised and distinguished man. May he rest in peace.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:15 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I am so sad to hear this. We've lost a dear and caring man.
I was lucky enough to have shared some correspondence over the phone with Bill... he reached out to help me deal with my son's alcoholism, when I was new.
Such a brilliant man, and wise. He loved his gardening, and his spaniels. He shared pictures of his pride and joy white lilies, and his beloved dog, expressing how much comfort 'man's best friend' brought him in this life.
He gave so much to all of us.
Rest sweetly, dear Bill. Enjoy reuniting with your beloved spaniels. Thank you, for everything.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:25 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Bill said this was one of his favorite hymns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y5KWqggo7c

Old 02-03-2019, 11:29 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I hope against hope that it's someone else but I fear you're probably right. Every time I've logged on over the last few months I've quickly scanned the forum for new posts by him; probably death or serious illness would be the only things to keep him away. He had some health issues of late and at his age it makes sense. It strikes me very hard, especially as I've learned of the passing of him and Gilmer within just a few days.

Bill was indeed a vast reservoir of human kindness. There was a firmness beneath the kindness and he was diplomatic while cutting away nonsense and getting to the point. I was also greatly impressed by his vast intellect and education. He was well spoken and well read, just a well rounded person.

Over the last year his posts did seem to veer towards the darker side. He shared fears of death and of outliving his wife, and at the same his worry about what would become of her if he passed first. Oddly I also find myself concerned for his beloved dog whom he doted on.

People do come and go online, and especially a forum like this. But Bill was a steady presence, a genuine rock upon which one could depend.

Bill Painter faced a lot of problems and pain in his life but it seems he lead a good life. He was widely respected and we here loved him deeply. His passing leaves the place somehow diminished. I for one will never forget his wry wit and wisdom, nor his courage.

RIP, Bill Painter. You exemplified the best in us. May you rest in peace.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:48 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

RIP you lovely man.
Old 02-04-2019, 05:45 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Yes....we were friends.....it is definitely him....and I feel awful because I knew he was dying.....and I felt that he had gone and I have not contacted his wife. I have their address if anyone wants it to send a card.

He was an amazing man, and he was a champion for me. He was so well educated and articulate and just so interesting, and he totally adored his dog. I hope that Bailey and Bill's wife are relatively OK.... by the middle of last year, Bill was kind of done....he just had too much pain, and he felt that he had lived long enough: I actually thought he was 95, but I was a few years out.

The world is a better place for Bill....he was an amazing teacher to many many students and a wonderful scholar. I never had a conversation with him that didn't last for at least half an hour: he had a lot to say.

I have some books here that he sent Nick and I....I will share some of his words...he always wrote inscriptions.

RIP sweet Bill.

Thank you for sharing this information....gosh...it's a lot huh?
But I know Bill would want us to celebrate his life rather than mourn his loss...he was a truly lovely man.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:23 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

This is sad. I am glad I got to "meet" Bill before he passed. Not in person, but his words were inspiring to me, and he was certainly generous for continuing to be here and so supportive of so many, even with so much sobriety. I am not surprised to find out how accomplished and learned he was. It came across in his posts.

RIP, Bill.