Notices

Alcohol is just like an abusive lover.

Old 02-02-2019, 01:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol is just like an abusive lover.

Found this on Facebook. So true!

Alcohol........ is just like an abusive lover. It holds us in its clutches by making us believe we can't live without it, while it beats us, tears us down, manipulates us and lies to us, and isolates us from friends and family. It steals from us the things that mean the most. It tells us how to feel. It tells us what to do, when to do it, and how to do it. It humiliates and belittles us. It systematically destroys our lives from within. It has no regard for our health or well-being. And when we express concern over its behavior, it assures us that our doubts are unfounded and foolhardy, and only in our minds. It gives us false hopes, only to be dashed by the sunrise. It lifts us up only to leave us hurt, betrayed and lonely.

And when we finally muster the courage to leave it, it gets angry and tries even harder to control us. Once we've left, it stalks us relentlessly. It turns on the charm, and reminds us of the good times we once had. It promises us it will treat us better. It screams, cries and begs us to come back, and swears that everything will be better this time around. But it never apologizes.

Many of us return to it, regardless of what it's done to harm us, and regardless of what we know as fact it will continue to do. We make up any and every excuse for it. We let it back into our lives, again and again, knowing the consequences; and it always ends up being worse. Every single time.

Until one day, the constant and relentless abuse escalates to a point where alcoholism finally kills us.

Just like an abusive lover.
Old 02-02-2019, 04:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've used the analogy before Magnum Car and it's an effective metaphor

The difference of course is that alcohol isn't really a independent player in the relationship - it's just an inert liquid....and even our addictive thoughts and fears are ours to change.

People can and do move on from this toxic relationship

D
Old 02-02-2019, 05:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Agreed. We allow it to treat us like an abusive lover. Trick is to figure out a good way to stop.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yep! Another toxic relationship that I've needed to break up with....I'm looking forward to the days when I think back about drinking, like I do about those idiots and say "What the hell took me so long?!?"