Notices

Class of February 2019 Support Thread Pt 1

Old 02-11-2019, 07:20 PM
  # 341 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee! I'm getting some better moments in waves.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:37 PM
  # 342 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NotMe2pls View Post
To check in on day 15. I’ll keep this short because I am crabby & exhausted. Don’t have an urge to drink. However, my sleep is still off. Up literally ALL night. And slept during the day a few hours. Same as when I drank but at least then I slept some at night too. Just feeling defeated I guess because I am not having the energy level I was hoping for at this point. To get stuff done during the day like a normal human being. But The exhaustion during the day & memories/worries/surfacing feelings at night are killing me.
Hang in there. You will soon get a breakthrough. You will be able to sleep and your energy will return magnified.

Don't beat yourself as much as you can. It's not who we are its what we did and we don't do them anymore. Drinking makes anyone do really stupid things. We are saying goodbye to that. Anything you did someone else did too and turned it around to have a remarkable great life.

Do you like hot baths, they help me relax and if i am ruminating about things I will turn on the tv or do something if it doesn't end but don't stay in bed torturing yourself.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:42 PM
  # 343 (permalink)  
Duck Duck Goose!

I’m glad to see some good things happening. Lots of hugs to those struggling. I’d say more but I’m tired and a cold came on about three hours ago and I feel blah. Sober, but blah. Good night all.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:49 PM
  # 344 (permalink)  

Thanks Canuck!
There are some amazing shares on here and posts. Thank you!
Old 02-11-2019, 08:32 PM
  # 345 (permalink)  

Night everyone. I am feeling better. I went to an AA meeting tonight & saw some of my friends and heard a really good speaker. It’s amazing how much AA meetings help. I’m going to another one (or two) tomorrow. I’m meeting my sponsor.

Today was touch and go and I was pretty down. But I firmly believe the longer I stay sober the better I will feel.

Day 7 complete. Bring on day 8!
Old 02-11-2019, 08:35 PM
  # 346 (permalink)  

Great job Addy
Old 02-11-2019, 08:44 PM
  # 347 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hopeful528 View Post
Great job Addy
AGREED! Way to go Addy. It does feel good to not be alone in sobriety. I never really got that....I would always get irritated when people spoke about "fellowship." "Bah Humbug," my scrooge AV would repeat. But it truly lifts the desire to drink when you start connecting with others whether on SR or through a program. I'm open to the fellowship of others now more than before and I'm enjoying not drinking as a result.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:56 PM
  # 348 (permalink)  

Amen Listae, so true.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:56 PM
  # 349 (permalink)  

Thank you and me too!!! Nice to not be alone!
Old 02-12-2019, 03:43 AM
  # 350 (permalink)  

Good morning all! I've been going to AA, too, and it does help. The only issue I have is that I am so tired, and I just want to come home from work and rest. But, the good thing about that is it is changing my routine. Instead of coming home from work and drinking and playing games or watching tv, I am actually having a life outside of work.
I know from times before when I got sober that it takes a while to start feeling better again, but I wish it would hurry up. I am starting today to take antidepressants and vitamins. I also need to drink a LOT more water.
I need to go back and read some posts and catch up on what's going on here. Yesterday was my birthday and was a really good day. I'm so glad my family are not drinkers, because we had a house full yesterday. Day 7 today! Amazing.
I hope everyone has a great day today, stay sober and enjoy it!
Old 02-12-2019, 04:42 AM
  # 351 (permalink)  

Happy belated birthday Karen!

Day 6 for me and I'm feeling good. Sleep has greatly improved and it's so nice to have energy (and motivation!) to work on things in the evening. In the past, I'd come home, open a bottle and check out for the evening.

I've also been quite diligent about diet, exercise, and meditation ... all of which I enjoy. It's so nice to be on a healthy path. Previously, I would try to watch my diet and exercise while also drinking too much. I was headed in two opposite directions. Doing some positive things while clinging to a huge negative. I feel less conflicted and much more consistent/authentic right now.

For those of you who are experiencing negative physical symptoms now that you are without alcohol, just know that it is your body purging itself and healing. Things will improve.

Have a great day!
Old 02-12-2019, 05:16 AM
  # 352 (permalink)  

24 Days in the bag.. Feeling pretty average today tbh, felt quite depressed.
I used this last few weeks to also come of Valium also. I never used it everyday , but enough to get withdrawals. I'm getting 50X 5mg tablets a month and used them as "needed". So my rides been a bit rougher than I was expecting. Today was day 10 without taking any. The worst withdrawal symptom i'm having is confusion and lack of concentration. Yep.. Sucks. Really glad i'm not working atm. Anyone else withdrawn from benzos?

Stay strong everyone and Thank You for the support thus far.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:04 AM
  # 353 (permalink)  

Day 11. A regular sleep pattern has returned thankfully. 2 nights in a row I have slept from approximately 11pm-7am. There is a snow storm here today and I was debating whether to walk the 5 mins to the grocery store. Then it dawned on me that I used to trudge 30 mins through a blizzard to get to the liquor store before it closed at night....
Old 02-12-2019, 06:15 AM
  # 354 (permalink)  
Duck Duck Goose!

Snow here too as well. I wouldn’t have gone out in a blizzard for booze. I would have made sure I had enough stored away ahead of time to last the whole storm.

I’m going to work from home today. The head cold combined with the snowstorm is a good excuse.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:11 AM
  # 355 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone. Its morning of day 3 for me and I'm feeling a lot better. The hot/cold flashes are gone and my nerves feel a lot calmer. I'm still in a complete head fog but should be able to get through another work day without too much trouble. Its helpful that we're also having snow storms here so people are mostly working from home and the work environment is pretty relaxed this week. I was supposed to meet with my new sponsor tonight but I don't think thats going to happen because of the snow so I might check out an "in the rooms" online meeting.

Congrats Canuck, Ollie, NotMe, and everyone counting days on another day

Happy birthday Karen!

Addy - Thank you for your story. Though I didn't bring it up in my intro, I can relate to the early trauma part. Unfortunately I think thats common for a lot of us - stuff that happens in childhood can shape the rest of our lives. I can't relate to the stay at home parent part, but it reminds me a lot of my sister who is in a similar spot in her life. I know you're not alone there. I wonder if there are support groups for parents going through the same thing?

I can also relate to you, NotMe, and others feeling low energy. I feel that way too actually. I'm keeping good memories in mind though of past times I've sobered up and usually it takes 1-2 months for me to get a lot of my mental energy back, so I figure for me it will get better with sober time, and also good nutrition, sleep, exercise, re/connection with people and all of the healthy healing things that we get to do in sobriety. The first 1-2 weeks is still very early - I would just give it time!

Take care everyone
Old 02-12-2019, 07:14 AM
  # 356 (permalink)  

Forgot to mention about how awesome the side perk of not drinking is.
The Wife and I have saved about $600AUD over the last few weeks by not drinking. Mainly because I bought individual 6 packs rather than cartons of beer. Still a great perk and motivation to continue sobriety.
I'm going to do a Liver function test later in the week.

So I might treat myself to a new video game this weekend.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:26 AM
  # 357 (permalink)  

Thanks, StartingOverNW! Head fog is tough, but it sounds like you are through the worst of the physical withdrawal. I’ve got a lot of hope for February class and I hope we all keep posting and stick with real sobriety.

So I went to the gym on Sunday. It was my first day back in ages, because I’ve had a slipped disc in my lower back that has taken months to heal but it finally doing pretty well! I lifted and hit the pool — it felt good. I made some good Whole30 meals and have stuck with my healthy diet (I’ve been on since late last year).

Wow, I am sore . Every muscle in my body hurts from lifting and swimming, but in a good way.

I’ve done a lot of processing with my wife this week. She really gets it and is really proud of me. We talk through it a lot — I want her to be a part of this process.

Maybe others can relate or have experience this, but I am actually feeling... almost damn near euphoric. It’s actually to the point where I’m worried I’m on too much of a high over my newfound decision to quit drinking.

Last night I reminded myself that it won’t all be like this. There will disappointment, grief, anxiety — and I’ll have to power through that.

But right now I feel like I could take on the entire world and nothing can stop me. I walked to work in the cold rain and let it hit my face. I feel excited and overwhelmed and proud that I finally let the people who I love most in on just how deep and dark this addiction went.

Can anyone relate to this? Happy Tuesday, friends.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:02 AM
  # 358 (permalink)  

Wow! so much to read this morning to catch up! I spent ALL day yesterday doing taxes. Sure glad that I did them sober! I DID take a few breaks, and did my 2.5 mile walk. I even went a new route to change things up a bit, since I used to walk after a couple of glasses of wine in the morning (hair of the dog?)...ugh....just reading that sounds STUPID....who DOES that except an alcoholic????? Anyway, I'm still sober, and have lots to do today. Couldn't (wouldn't) do anything when I was drinking. I was almost becoming agoraphobic, never leaving the house (because I'd drink the day away). Sometimes, I even forgot what I was going to make for dinner, or I wouldn't cook at all and hubby would order in.....ugh! Glad THAT'S over! Went to dinner last night at a small Mexican restaurant that is within walking distance of our house. Boy, did I want a glass of wine! BUT...didn't have one...instead, water with lemon.

Sober369...my doctor told me to drink 3 liters of water each day. Belated happy birthday! I, too am changing my routine.
WhoDey...you sound just like me, except that I would check out for the WHOLE day, sometimes (I'm retired...which gave me more time to drink). I never made any appointments prior to 11:00 am, just to see how I would feel in the morning first, and then have tome to cancel!
Foie Gras...I hope you're feeling better! I remember when I first got sober (1991), that I got sick often in the early years. I think if I was sick when I was drinking, II would just drink my way through it so I never FELT sick...I was just drunk
Sober81...I have been on and off valium for years, due to debilitating panic attacks. Fortunately, when I stopped taking them, I didn't have any withdrawal symptoms. Sorry you're going though this, on top of staying sober!
Addy....glad you are coming out of your "dark place". I think that most of us have been there; I know I have. I read on the forums about making a list of what you want to do today, and check them off as you go....kinda like a "list of thing to do today. Alcohol stopped working for me too. I think my tolerance was so high that I kept trying to get that "buzz", but then went waaaay past the buzz and ended up drunk again!As for meditation, there's great stuff on utube and many apps that help guide you. I learned how to meditate from a great yoga teacher that I had in Costa Rica....it REALLY helps!
NotMe...Hang in there...you will sleep much better soon! Maybe keep a notebook near your bed and write down your worries/fears/regrets, etc.? It might help to get them out of your head....just a thought...
Ollie...My husband and I often wake up and say "another groundhog day"! When you're retired, sometimes it feels that way....lol

Well, I'm off to finish just a couple of things before my CPA appt. at 11:15. Have a great, sober day everyone!
Old 02-12-2019, 08:24 AM
  # 359 (permalink)  

Ollie, I know that feeling of euphoria...but the first time I got sober, it took about 90 days for the mental fog to finally lift. Do you have a plan, other than "powering through it", for when things are not going so well? In my past experience, when things piled up on me, or there were problems I had (and I've had many) I felt it helpful to talk to another alcoholic, stay busy, "urge surf", etc. Isn't it amazing, when we are not drinking, how we take notice of nature, and just our regular environment? Since I have gotten sober 3 times now (this is my 4th), and each time relapsed, so I have not told anyone about this time,yet. They all know that I am an alcoholic anyway. Actually, I think more people know than I am willing to admit. I have been the one in denial, while everyone around me has watched me or been around me when I have been stumbling drunk. Great that your wife is involved and that you talk about it. I am lucky to have that same relationship with my husband of 20 years. Keep up the great work. Letting others know contributes to your accountability and provides a support system
Old 02-12-2019, 08:32 AM
  # 360 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trudgingagain View Post
Ollie, I know that feeling of euphoria...but the first time I got sober, it took about 90 days for the mental fog to finally lift. Do you have a plan, other than "powering through it", for when things are not going so well? In my past experience, when things piled up on me, or there were problems I had (and I've had many) I felt it helpful to talk to another alcoholic, stay busy, "urge surf", etc.
Hey trudging.

This time is a little different for me because I didn't come to this decision from a place of relapse, but of about four years with off and on "moderation" with some ugly slips.

So this time around, hopefully the last, I'm skipping the hangover and physical withdrawals.

My plan: Honestly I plan on focusing on a kind of wholistic view of health. I'm on a sustainable diet and fitness plan. I'm really digging in on my hobbies and professional work. I making sure I have the closest people in my life in my decision to stay sober so they can support me if I need it. And I'm posting to start a community with people who really understand this.

At least that's my plan so far.